Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why Did You Buy an SUV?
I Have a Large Family to Haul Around. 22 16.30%
I Feel Safer in a Higher-Profile Vehicle. 26 19.26%
Our Weather Mandates Four-Wheel Drive. 15 11.11%
My Career Requires That I Own One. 8 5.93%
I Have a High-Income and am Not Concerned about Rising Fuel Prices. 23 17.04%
I Just Prefer the Way They Look and Their Overall Styling 19 14.07%
I'm Actually Regretting Buying One Now 4 2.96%
I Inherited It, Won It, Found It, etc. 2 1.48%
I Don't Truly Know Why/Impulse Purchase 1 0.74%
Shut Up You Stupid Tree-Hugging Yankee Liberal! 53 39.26%
Other 28 20.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:59 PM

322 posts, read 1,234,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
SUVs are a waste. I cant stand em. There are many better alternatives that handle better, get better gas mileage, arent as dangerous to other cars, and are quicker, etc. (Subaru makes MANY alternatives). To me, the whole SUV scene is a look-at-me, look-at-me pile of crap. I know many people who buy them just because theyre "cool" (although SUVs are about as dorky as a 1980s station wagon). I just shrug my shoulders and think how dumb 1/2 these people really are. Especially the Navigator/Escalade/Land Cruiser/Range Rover/GX470/Commander/Hummer/etc crowd. Ugh.
Out of curiosity, what would you recommend for a family of 7 who's only roads are highways and gravel which get dumped on with feet upon feet of snow during the winter and are a very muddy mess in the spring and whenever it rains? Muddy to the point where a normal car would get stuck in a heartbeat. What would you recommend for clearance height to ride over the snow 8 months of the year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 02:00 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
NOt to mention they have the sweet WRX and WRX STi thatll outperform pretty much anything on dry or wet/snowy pavement. ;-) Thank the Lord for Subaru!!!!!

Old 05-03-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
NOt to mention they have the sweet WRX and WRX STi thatll outperform pretty much anything on dry or wet/snowy pavement. ;-) Thank the Lord for Subaru!!!!!
See, you're talking wet/dry/snowy PAVEMENT!!! You're not referring to people like us who's roads only get plowed once every week if that! And that's on top of the muddy mess underneath!

Old 05-03-2007, 02:05 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
cold eh ND, in your case youd need a big SUV and thats understandable. A bullet-proof reliable SUV for 7 would be a Toyota Land Cruiser, theyre phenominally reliable and hard as nails.

I just dont get why I see so many SUVs in AZ, CA, places that dont need 4WD. Theyre just boneheads who want people to look at them. Never mind the fact that they DONT get looked at because SUVs have all the appeal of a cinder block. Buy a Pontiac Solstice or a Porsche Cayman if being noticed is so important. LOL Noone looks at a SUV and drools, at least not sane people. LOLOL

Old 05-03-2007, 02:09 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
cold eh ND, in your case youd need a big SUV and thats understandable. A bullet-proof reliable SUV for 7 would be a Toyota Land Cruiser, theyre phenominally reliable and hard as nails.

I just dont get why I see so many SUVs in AZ, CA, places that dont need 4WD. Theyre just boneheads who want people to look at them. Never mind the fact that they DONT get looked at because SUVs have all the appeal of a cinder block. Buy a Pontiac Solstice or a Porsche Cayman if being noticed is so important. LOL Noone looks at a SUV and drools, at least not sane people. LOLOL
A Subaru can handle dirt and gravel roads with some of the newer models having 8-10 inch ground clearance. The MPG on Subarus is much better than any 4WD SUV unless you count hybirds. My friend has a Subaru and they can easily tackle deep snow, muddy roads, and dirt and gravel roads. Their is a reason that you mainly see this type of car in mountain areas, snowbelt areas, and northern parts of the country.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:13 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_eh_ND View Post
Out of curiosity, what would you recommend for a family of 7 who's only roads are highways and gravel which get dumped on with feet upon feet of snow during the winter and are a very muddy mess in the spring and whenever it rains? Muddy to the point where a normal car would get stuck in a heartbeat. What would you recommend for clearance height to ride over the snow 8 months of the year?
I'm asking this is all sincerity, what did you do say 20 years ago to haul a family of 7, prior to SUV's? If this wasn't an issue for you back then, what did other families in your situation do?

Old 05-03-2007, 02:14 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
My husband is drooling over these, and no-one I know has ever said anything bad about them. I'm just trying to make him keep his 98 Accord with 120K miles for another...oh....10 yrs...

Old 05-03-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:

I know the Toyotas are a good vehicle...all of them. When I was growing up, that's all we owned was Toyotas, but I'm a GM girl...We have the 2 Chevy's and the one GMC. (two SUVs and a Pick-up). I understand what you're saying about people who own them that really have no use for them. We really have no choice. A non-4x4 would not make it out in these parts in the winter. Even the mailmen out here have to drive 4x4s (in the winter anyways and when it's really wet). People have attempted our road in their low-clearance AWD vehicles, but the clearance height if a major factor as well. I LOVE my trucks though. I couldn't see myself driving a smaller vehicle now....honestly..

Old 05-03-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
My husband is drooling over these, and no-one I know has ever said anything bad about them. I'm just trying to make him keep his 98 Accord with 120K miles for another...oh....10 yrs...
And you know...that accord will go for another 30 right???

Old 05-03-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I'm asking this is all sincerity, what did you do say 20 years ago to haul a family of 7, prior to SUV's? If this wasn't an issue for you back then, what did other families in your situation do?
20 years ago we didn't have a family of 7 (I'm only 30 so I would've only been 10). The farmers around here hauled their kids in big grain trucks and tractors...or so I'm told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies