Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 PM

448 posts, read 534,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post
Shocking? No. Lack of knowledge about a different region or culture has never stopped people from leaping to judgments before.
Ahhh so true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post
Shocking? No. Lack of knowledge about a different region or culture has never stopped people from leaping to judgments before.

As for advantages/disadvantages...depends on personal opinion. For instance, I despise cold weather. Winter months are evil and the fewer I have to put up with, the better. Don't think I could deal with New England winters.
Other things might include cost of living. I don't make a lot of money every month, but I can stretch it pretty far here. Had plenty of savings after 9 months of work to go on vacation to Turkey last month (and I didn't try to convert the Muslims while I was there...what a bad Southerner I am...). Never been to the West Coast so I won't comment on that, but I'm fairly sure it is not without drawbacks (as far as I can tell there is no Heaven on Earth)
No heaven on earth? Have you ever been to Georgia? We love it. I would include political climate to the list of distastes for midwest/N.E. areas but that is, of course, subjective. I personally loved visiting both. Western culture is interesting as well, and I have been treated the best as a southerner out there. "Oh, another guitar picker from Georgia? Nice!"

Old 07-21-2010, 06:18 AM

108 posts, read 99,171 times
Like I said earlier I don't dislike Southerners .. but if the politicians in the Republican party represent the BEST and BRIGHTEST minds you have to offer then thats truly a sad reflection on the South.

Little more then tanning salon (frequenting) snake oil salesman lol

Ah and Florida's unemployment just hit 11.4% .. that oil spill is going to be a long time friend for the Gulf States.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:54 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Dem_PA View Post
Like I said earlier I don't dislike Southerners .. but if the politicians in the Republican party represent the BEST and BRIGHTEST minds you have to offer then thats truly a sad reflection on the South.

Ah and Florida's unemployment just hit 11.4% .. that oil spill is going to be a long time friend for the Gulf States.

Fingers crossed that many of us, most of us, aren't stuck on 'regions'.

Many in FL have long been concerned about drilling the Gulf. I didn't know that a few months ago. A good time for political differences to be a lower priority, jmo. That will never happen. If this is the way we 'want' to live then nobody on earth can stop us.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:52 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Dem_PA View Post

It's funny what perspective can do. Many people in the south percieve northern liberal Democrats to be arrogant, lying, conniving, cheating, stealing, slimy snakes who are only in the interest of serving themselves. It's a good thing I don't judge all northerners by THAT perspective. My wife is a Yankee.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
What a ridiculous, supercilious, and silly, sophomoric, reply. Are YOU proud of the Northeast's slave trade? Or that some Midwestern states banned black residency?

Simple yes or no, my Bonnie Blue Texas Lone Star studded rear end. You are not a prosecuting attorney and no one here is on trial. So spare us that when did you stop beating your wife kind of crap. Geez.

Who the bleeding hell do you think you are to get so high and mighty and ridicule and belittle someones pride in their history and heritage? And reflexively associate that certain attrocities are typical of a whole culture and people? Do you think the people of the South went around just finding somebody to lynch for sport?

BTW -- "Race prejudice seems stronger in those states that have abolished slavery than in those where it still exists, and nowhere is it more intolerant than in those states where slavery was never known." -- Alexis DeTocqueville (Democracy in America)
I take it that's a big ole Yes.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:52 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I take it that's a big ole Yes.
??? What in the world are you talking about? Big ol' yes about what? You got my reply earlier, along with a link addressing every single one of your "points". So what does THIS latest from you mean? mean?

Old 08-13-2010, 08:38 PM

736 posts, read 524,676 times
I'm full of southern pride 57 of my family members died for the fighting for the grey and my family isn't even close to being racist. So people need to stop associating racism with southern pride. They died fighting for states rights not slavery. My family is made up of hard working class people who believe in a good combination of states rights and some federal power. Before my family came to Missouri in the early to mid 1800s my family lived Pigeon Forge Tn. When we came to Missouri my family settled in Marble Hill Missouri. When my grandpa was 45 he moved his family to central Mo that was in 1969. .

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 08-16-2010 at 08:30 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 08:48 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
The south is a great place to visit, but I'm midwest; born and bred. For me, there's no other place to live.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:00 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
It's funny what perspective can do. Many people in the south percieve northern liberal Democrats to be arrogant, lying, conniving, cheating, stealing, slimy snakes who are only in the interest of serving themselves. It's a good thing I don't judge all northerners by THAT perspective. My wife is a Yankee.
My ancestors helped burn Atlanta, Columbia, and the plantations surrounding Charleston. I am sure that they would be ardently opposed to the policies presented by "northern" liberals, as it is diametrically opposed to the sentiments they held dear.

I am quite sure that Washington, New York, Baltimore, Boston. and Philadelhia are equally as combustible. The will of the people cannot be disregarded forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies