Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 10:45 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
The problem is centered on how one sided you are about the whole thing. Of course the south was wrong to continue slavery. But you act as if conditions in the north were the same as today, and THAT is what is historically inaccurate. You condemn the south today for it's past the same way that I do, but then glorify the north for some non-existant moral collaboration. It is truly and clearly a one sided history, not at all based upon reality, and in some obscene way carried on in your brain to be a contemporary condemnation of the modern south. You are delusional, and I am sure there is a psychological term for what you may have.
Ok let me bring some reality and civility back into the topic!!!.

If you go back and read my first post you will see that my entire line of statements were based on the "PAST" not on the present!!

Every statement was based on the "HISTORY" of the south, yet it was suggested that my statements were wholly incorrect and made up..which I know they are not.

I never suggested that southerners of today should be ashamed of their history...again I never stated that, so in essence you are the one being delusional with an irrational need to defend ALL aspects of southern history.

No where in my posts have I propped up the north as a shinning example of race relations, again if you debate be honest about things; don't put words in my mouth.

Most of the racial hate groups centered in the country are centered in the south and in areas where southern whites have migrated in large numbers to.

Today these groups are basing their ideologies and beliefs on the Bible and SOUTHERN CULTURE, in essence no one paints all southerners as racists but stop pretending like their are none!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 11:06 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post

Most of the racial hate groups centered in the country are centered in the south and in areas where southern whites have migrated in large numbers to.

Today these groups are basing their ideologies and beliefs on the Bible and SOUTHERN CULTURE, in essence no one paints all southerners as racists but stop pretending like their are none!!
So, southerners aren't bad, but they breed hatred, and the culture breeds hatred, and southerners who move elsewhere breed hatred. Right.

And most hate groups these days are centered IN THE WEST, like in California, Idaho, etc.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:09 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,956,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Ok let me bring some reality and civility back into the topic!!!.

If you go back and read my first post you will see that my entire line of statements were based on the "PAST" not on the present!!

Every statement was based on the "HISTORY" of the south, yet it was suggested that my statements were wholly incorrect and made up..which I know they are not.

I never suggested that southerners of today should be ashamed of their history...again I never stated that, so in essence you are the one being delusional with an irrational need to defend ALL aspects of southern history.

No where in my posts have I propped up the north as a shinning example of race relations, again if you debate be honest about things; don't put words in my mouth.

Okay, my apologies for not reading the whole thread again. I posted earlier, and reacted to you upon my returning the same way I did to other posts at that time. I would be interested though in some sort of link that shows that most hate groups are centered in the south. Not that I don't believe it, given the history of reconstruction, but a link would be nice.

I also give you credit for recognizing the moral equivalence of the regions during the time of the war. There were many faults to answer to.

I am thirdly glad that you don't judge contemporary southerners based upon antebellum ideals. That is in large my contention with many unhistorically educated south bashers.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:07 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,312 times
Many hate groups are based in the West or Northwest at the present time. I have read this thread thoroughly, and some posters are using the past to judge the present. As I have already said, the past contains injustices all over the world, not just in the South. It is horrible that slavery existed in the United States at all, but it did. That is a fact that we can't erase. We can, however, choose to move on or live in the past.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:55 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Caramell: to be ashamed of the south's racist past, the rest of the country is laughing at us. And that digs us even deeper into the racist white trash stereotypical south that others picture the south to be like. Which is not a good thing.

Not exactly. The nicest person I ever met was from NYC. We do have manners in the South (I'm from Virginia whether you consider that southern or not, it is southern) doesn't mean that they will help you if you are in need or really care about you. Southerners tend to be backstabbers but are sweet as pie to your face. When compared with rude northerners and fake southerners - fake southerners are about one of the worst people you will ever meet.

Yes the civil war was about slavery. everyone knows this. Don't try to sugarcoat that fact otherwise. The southern states themselves wrote their reasons for secession and it was to defend, protect, and preserve slavery. Why do you deny these facts when they are right in front of you? Those secession declarations are enough proof to show that the south fought over slavery. And it makes sense because if the south did not have slaves, they would have been the poorest region in the country which they are today. If someone tells you otherwise then they are an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I guess in your mind taking away a person's country of orgin, family, language and culture and enslaving them to work without any compensation wasn't shameful.

I guess in your mind considering a slave 3/5 of a person in the original version of the Consitution to appease Southern states and to increase their representation in the House of Representatives wasn't shameful.

I guess in your mind lynching Black people wasn't shameful.

I guess in your mind slave owners raping female slaves wasn't shameful.

I guess in your mind making illegal for a slave to be taught how to read wasn't shameful.

I guess in your mind destroying a slave's family by selling family members for a price wasn't shameful.

I guess in your mind slavery itself wasn't shameful.

I guess in your mind depriving Black people of their voting rights wasn't shameful.

I guess in your mind the systematic domestic terrorism conducted by the Klu Klux Klan often with the approval and even participation of local and state officials wasn't shameful.

I guess in your mind there should be no shame about the fact the town of Rosewood, Florida was completely destroyed by acts of racial hatred by Whites toward blacks.

I guess in your mind the "Tuskegee Experiment" where black men were injected with syphillis for the purpose of medical research wasn't shameful.

I guess in your mind there is no shame for the wrongful conviction of the Scottsboro Boys.

I guess in your mind there is no shame that Emmitt Till a 14 year old boy was killed for simply whistling at a White woman. I after all you can't have that kind of thing going on in the South.

I guess in your mind it for a White man to kill a Black person and face no consequences from the cirminal justice system wasn't shameful.

I guess in your mind killing people that where advocates for voting rights for Black people wasn't shameful.

A guess in your mind that former United States Senator Storm Thurmond a segregationist would have a daughter with a black woman but never publically acknowledge her as his child wasn't shameful.

I guess in your mind the assasination of Medgar Evers and Dr. Martin King wasn't shameful.

I guess that you simply have no shame

But we do agree history should NOT be forgotten.
To both of you:

There is a difference between being ashamed and respecting history.

And sorry, the Civil War WAS NOT about slavery. Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation 2 years into the war.

Yes things were done in the south that were bad but, the same things were done in other than non-southern states.

Until the 15th Ammendment was passed blacks were noy allowed to vote in the UNITED STATES at all. Are you ashamed of the United States?

Women weren't allowed to vote either.

As a civilization we grow. We try to improve ourselves. To become a better country.

We try to change things that at one time were the norm.

Blacks sold blacks into slavery, they still do. Should we be ashamed of blacks for this practice?

Slavery is wrong. We changed that.

Southerners do NOT celebrate slaverey. They celebrate the good things in thier history.

The nicest people you ever met were from NYC! I have many nice people from NYC but, the fact remains New yorkers have a BAD reputation for a reason. I'm not saying ALL are bad but there is that earned reputation among a lot of them.

If you hate southerners so much, move to NYC.

"If someone tells you otherwise then they are an idiot". Wow, what an intelligent statement. If someone disagrees with you they are an idiot. All I can say is, look in the mirror.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:30 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,337,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Have you been to Atlanta lately?
American by birth, Southern by the grace of (insert your own deity, belief system, superstition, however you roll) a higher force than me!!
The South has been a source of innovation and American culture that everyone can be proud of.

Does it outweigh some of the negatives? That's a judgment call for each individual.

But to deny the positives by many of the posters here who demonstrate ironically hypocritical stereotyping of the South, is ironic and truly reflective of the character and double standards that we all must overcome as individuals.

There are positives about the South. Which means that there are things the South should be proud of. At the same time, there is always something to improve wherever you are, and the South is no different. The South has its burdens to bear and overcome, and despite the pride, they should work on improving the flaws.

Same goes for the West, the North, the Midwest, etc, but just different areas.

I wish there were ways to disapprove of some folks' ignorant and condescending posts (not the post I'm quoting though).

Old 08-15-2010, 03:19 PM

8 posts, read 14,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough;15482427
[QUOTE
And sorry, the Civil War WAS NOT about slavery. Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation 2 years into the war.
Okay so if the war was not about slavery then how come no blacks fought on the side of the confederacy? I have read claims of black confederate soldiers but if this were true how come blacks were treated like garbage after the war? That is no way to treat someone who just fought for your country.

Quote:
Southerners do NOT celebrate slaverey. They celebrate the good things in thier history.
You know this for sure how? No one knows what goes on behind closed doors. I am from Virginia and I have seen this in action. The older people teach hate to their offspring and so on and so forth. They ramble on how good white people had it back in the good ol days and how much they wish they could live back in the antebellum era. This is what I have seen and heard myself. But fortunately these folks were in a small minority in my Virginia town.

Quote:
The nicest people you ever met were from NYC! I have many nice people from NYC but, the fact remains New yorkers have a BAD reputation for a reason. I'm not saying ALL are bad but there is that earned reputation among a lot of them.

If you hate southerners so much, move to NYC.
Yes and there are plenty of nice people in the south as well. Southerners have a BAD reputation of being racist for a reason but does that mean we should paint anyone and everything southern with a broad brush? If all people from the northeast are rude then everyone from the south must be a racist. Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. I was just using my friend from NYC as an example to show that not all stereotypes are true. I have met both mean and nasty people in both regions.

Where did you get that I hate southerners? I am proud to call Virginia my home and I could never live in NYC I just don't like the fast-paced, rat race culture up there.

Quote:
"If someone tells you otherwise then they are an idiot". Wow, what an intelligent statement. If someone disagrees with you they are an idiot. All I can say is, look in the mirror.
There is enough proof out there to show that the South fought for slavery and it played a big factor in the Civil War. Did you not learn this in school?

Saying slavery had very little or absolutely NOTHING to do with the civil war is complete bullcrap.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:32 PM

736 posts, read 524,250 times
Default No

No slavery had little to do with the war at hand. I have been told that it was a background issue. Guess what there were blacks that fought for the confederacy some joined and others followed their masters to war to serve them. Did you know that General Grant once said if this war was about slavery I would turn my sword to the other side.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:38 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
[quote=Caramell;15485349]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough;15482427

Okay so if the war was not about slavery [B
then how come no blacks fought on the side of the confederacy?[/b] I have read claims of black confederate soldiers but if this were true how come blacks were treated like garbage after the war? That is no way to treat someone who just fought for your country.

You know this for sure how? No one knows what goes on behind closed doors. I am from Virginia and I have seen this in action. The older people teach hate to their offspring and so on and so forth. They ramble on how good white people had it back in the good ol days and how much they wish they could live back in the antebellum era. This is what I have seen and heard myself. But fortunately these folks were in a small minority in my Virginia town.

Yes and there are plenty of nice people in the south as well. Southerners have a BAD reputation of being racist for a reason but does that mean we should paint anyone and everything southern with a broad brush? If all people from the northeast are rude then everyone from the south must be a racist. Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. I was just using my friend from NYC as an example to show that not all stereotypes are true. I have met both mean and nasty people in both regions.

Where did you get that I hate southerners? I am proud to call Virginia my home and I could never live in NYC I just don't like the fast-paced, rat race culture up there.

There is enough proof out there to show that the South fought for slavery and it played a big factor in the Civil War. Did you not learn this in school?

Saying slavery had very little or absolutely NOTHING to do with the civil war is complete bullcrap.
"then how come no blacks fought on the side of the confederacy?'
Are you that ignorant? If you can't this simple fact correct, it is no wonder you don't know much about the Civil War.

"It has been estimated that over 65,000 Southern blacks were in the Confederate ranks"
The "Richmond Howitzers" were partially manned by black militiamen. They saw action at 1st Manassas (or 1st Battle of Bull Run) where they operated battery no. 2. In addition two black “regiments”, one free and one slave, participated in the battle on behalf of the South. “Many colored people were killed in the action”, recorded John Parker, a former slave.
2. At least one Black Confederate was a non-commissioned officer. James Washington, Co. D 35th Texas Cavalry, Confederate States Army, became it’s 3rd Sergeant. Higher ranking black commissioned officers served in militia units, but this was on the State militia level (Louisiana) and not in the regular C.S. Army"
Read some histoty: Black Confederates in the Civil War

This was just one google search.

You state you have seen things "behind closed doors' then you state All are not like that.

Wht then would you base a whole culture on one or two incedents?

people in the South have a bad reputation becausreof people lkike you who do no reaearch then make blanket statements based on hearsay.

You say you don't hate southerners then you deride them for celebrating thier culture. make up your mind.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:20 PM

736 posts, read 524,250 times
Once again QuickEnough I Agree with you. You make a lot of very good points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies