Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:31 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
So children should not be exposed to different points of views? I thought tolerance was all about openness to being exposed to different points of views? Should we start limiting their exposure to only things that are guaranteed to not offend? What kind of education would that be?
Have you been near a high school lately? They are not getting educations anymore, the system is broken. I am currently working on becoming a math teacher in an effort to try to correct this. Sure I can only reach 100 kids a day, but if I can get one of them to the point where they can correctly count change then society got better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 10:12 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
As an agnostic who wants church and state 500 feet away from each other, not to mention God taken out of the pledge, I find this ridiculous.

There was nothing religious about it. Reading from yer favourite book, be it the Bible or be it Ender's Game, is not preaching at all.

Now, if the reading degraded INTO preaching, that'd be another thing completely.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:36 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Everyone keeps talking about students " reading from their favorite book"

Seems it was not the student doing the reading, but the mother of the student.

That is what I am opposed to --------a non-student entering a public school and reading a religous book to the class.

I'm Catholic, and I wouldn't want a non-student reading the bible to my kids in a public school anymore than I would want a non-student reading the Koran to my kids in a public school.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:23 PM

613 posts, read 1,054,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Thats like asking, "Why do you like to eat sardines?"

Some people like them on their pizza, some people don't care, and others still can't stand them.

Like I said, Religion is a very personal thing, and as a personal thing, some people may not want their children exposed to that.

I know its hard in America, since we are predominately a Christian country, to see why people would be offended by the bible. However, think of a Muslim student going to class in the bible belt with a Koran, and having them read that to the class. I know LOTS of Christian folk who would throw a fit if someone read the Koran to their children.

Since its public schools, if parents don't want their children exposed to religious texts, then it should be open that it will be read or discussed in class. If the parents don't want their child exposed to it, then they should be allowed to leave the classroom.
I dont have kids but if i did I want them to be exposed to other cultures. Thats the problem people r so closed-minded. So if a kid brings the koran to school what kids r goin to be terrorists. U should talk to ur kids about it instead of tryin to shut them off.wake up!!!!! PINHEAD

Old 09-22-2009, 10:46 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
To show my unbiaesedness (I know it's not a word), I sir, am giving you a rep point. I did it last week for Karfar. C-D is doing what Obama can't do; bringing the left and right together.
I hope you're not blaming Obama for something that happened in 2004! Just asking, since people who were laid off last year are blaming him for losing their jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The issue decided was whether a particularly religious parent could use invited parental participation in curricular activities as a worm-hole through which otherwise prohibited activities and materias could be snuck. The Court has said no.
Thank you for the facts. They don't seem to count much these days, especially if someone watches Fox.

Last edited by justNancy; 09-22-2009 at 10:55 PM..

Old 09-22-2009, 11:10 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
I dont have kids but if i did I want them to be exposed to other cultures. Thats the problem people r so closed-minded. So if a kid brings the koran to school what kids r goin to be terrorists. U should talk to ur kids about it instead of tryin to shut them off.wake up!!!!! PINHEAD
Yeah! Well when u do hve kids, have ur daughter bring in ur wife's copy of "Mandingo" and do a reading.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:43 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
As an agnostic who wants church and state 500 feet away from each other, not to mention God taken out of the pledge, I find this ridiculous.

There was nothing religious about it. Reading from yer favourite book, be it the Bible or be it Ender's Game, is not preaching at all.

Now, if the reading degraded INTO preaching, that'd be another thing completely.
Did you skip page 2? Details can be found there. You are wrong.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:01 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Thank you for the facts. They don't seem to count much these days, especially if someone watches Fox.
In general, facts are of no particular interest to the right-wing. If it does not conform to some preconceived notion of theirs, the truth of the matter becomes an obstacle to be bulldozed out of the way by resort to whatever means may be available or necessary. If no such means can be found, then the truth of the matter is simply ignored as if it didn't exist at all. This is who they are...

Old 09-23-2009, 05:30 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
Thanks for the personal attack.

Anyway,

I didn't say I don't want my kid exposed, but I do know people who don't want their children exposed to other religious material.

For instance, one of the guys I work with sells guns. Mormon evangelists came to his door to talk, and his daughter answered. Instead of going into a rant, he went and got a couple of guns and started walking towards the door. Of course the missionaries ran off, but he didn't appreciate them talking to his 13 year old daughter about the "book of morons" as he calls it.

Just because you and I don't think its a problem, doesn't mean others don't feel it is.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:50 AM

752 posts, read 1,462,128 times
They separated church and state for a reason...yet there is always some Yahoo that wants to force the issue. Read the bible at home...read school books in school. Learn math, social studies and science. Go to church on Sunday read the bible during the other 16 hours of your day.
ridiculous people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies