Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 12:40 AM

234 posts, read 786,054 times

Advertisements

Stockholmaren:

If you and other people want to eat food that doesn't contain trans-fat, great. This is fine with me....But, don't force your choices and preferences on me with state-wide bans.

I don't live in fear of trans-fat. I want to eat "normal" food and I want to have choices!

I don't want to live in a "one-size-fits-all" society. We're all individuals, not clones of each other. Claire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 01:42 AM

Here's an example of how smoking bans affect "mom & pop" businesses:

http://www.thisischeshire.co.uk/display.var.1402041.0.i_love_this_pub_but_i_will_b e_forced_to_leave.php (broken link)

Old 05-22-2007, 05:09 PM

646 posts, read 1,787,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertlovers View Post
Stockholmaren:

If you and other people want to eat food that doesn't contain trans-fat, great. This is fine with me....But, don't force your choices and preferences on me with state-wide bans.

I don't live in fear of trans-fat. I want to eat "normal" food and I want to have choices!

I don't want to live in a "one-size-fits-all" society. We're all individuals, not clones of each other. Claire
I don't completely disagree with you, but I'm not opposed to such bans being put in place. Choice is good for the most part, and I don't live in fear of trans-fat, but it's just not needed. Trans-fat is about as far from "normal" you can come :-)

Old 05-22-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
But the argument is about justifying putting a ban in place. Smoking is a legal activity. Before the ban, it was legal to smoke in the restaurants. If you are wanting to restrict a legal activity from being performed in a private establishment, then I do not believe you have the right to do so, unless you are an owner who has earned the right and responsibilty to run his/her establishment as he/she sees fit.

You have a say by not giving them your business and by even advertising to your friends and family about the atmosphere. Mind your own business and keep your statist hands away from the property of hard-working entrepeneurs.
Like I mentioned in another post, I think smoking in general should be illegal, but I see your point since it's currently legal. However, I want to point out that it's illegal for people under 18 to smoke, so it's not entirely legal.
I also have a say by mentioning my concerns to our elected representatives and other agencies, and they have the right to put bans in place if they believe that is the right thing to do as well.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:51 PM

Stockholmaren:

I lived in California when "heat" was put on Mexican restaurants to stop using lard in their food......Too many Mexican restaurants went along and changed their recipes. YUK!! After the "switch," their food tasted bland and boring to us, and we stopped eating in California Mexican restaurants.

YEA!! We were so happy when we moved to Arizona and found restaurants serving authentic Mexican food out here.

When we buy food in stores, we make sure that what we buy DOESN'T have Canola oil in it.... We don't buy supposed "Low-Cal," "Low-Fat," "No Trans-Fat" foods. We don't follow every "food fad"....and we don't turn Science & Scientists into our "Gods" and "Supreme Rulers & Authority!!"

I'm older today....And, I have watched Science do flip-flops all thru the years....I take what they say with a "grain of salt" now. I'm not so gullible anymore.

One minute, something is suppose to be "bad" for us, and later on, "Science" supposedly changes it's mind...and comes out and says that the food or drink they labeled "bad" in the past may actually be "good" for us today!!

These days, a lot of people use "Science" & "Scientific Reports" as their "Bible" when it comes to forcing their "will" & "agenda" on other people.

Their motto is: "You have to do what I want, and you have to follow my guidelines because I am "100% RIGHT, & I have Science to back me up!" They become "Missionaries for Science"...& radical "Health Zealots!" It's really spooky and scary, and "crazy" to a lot of us!!

There are conflicting and contradictory reports about Trans-Fat, smoking, and everything else in life! And none of it seem "black & white" or "100% certain" to me....Here's a link:

http://www.easydiagnosis.com/secondo...sletter27.html

Last edited by Desertlovers; 05-22-2007 at 06:22 PM..

Old 05-22-2007, 08:07 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
Like I mentioned in another post, I think smoking in general should be illegal, but I see your point since it's currently legal. However, I want to point out that it's illegal for people under 18 to smoke, so it's not entirely legal.
I also have a say by mentioning my concerns to our elected representatives and other agencies, and they have the right to put bans in place if they believe that is the right thing to do as well.
How can you believe that your actions are morally justifiable to tell a hard-working business owner what legal activities he can or cannot allow in his establishment?

By the way, it is NOT illegal for those under 18 to smoke.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:10 PM

Not particular care for Fox News sources, but I don't think anybody can say that smoking is GOOD for you. The scientific evidence that is causes cancer and many other things are overwhelming.
I don't think it's as clear-cut with trans-fats, but most research does show it to be dangerous. Also, by using something other than trans-fat, the taste won't be altered. KFC for example had to remove trans-fat from its products in Denmark where trans-fat has been banned, and nobody could tell a difference in taste. Like you said though, what's good and bad for you when it comes to food change quite frequently and even though I'm in favor of banning trans-fats, I wouldn't be that upset if it wasn't banned as long as we keep showing the ingredients of all food products.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
How can you believe that your actions are morally justifiable to tell a hard-working business owner what legal activities he can or cannot allow in his establishment?

By the way, it is NOT illegal for those under 18 to smoke.
Alright, it's illegal for them to buy cigarettes maybe would be more the more appropriate thing to say, but it doesn't seem to make sense to not be allowed to buy something that you are allowed to use.

I'm not sure what you mean by morally justifiable in this case. If something is banned it's simply not allowed. But to go back to the basics, if something is deemed harmful, such as smoking, I don't see what's so banned about putting that ban in place. No establishment I've visited seem to have slowed down after these bans being put in place.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:22 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
Alright, it's illegal for them to buy cigarettes maybe would be more the more appropriate thing to say, but it doesn't seem to make sense to not be allowed to buy something that you are allowed to use.

I'm not sure what you mean by morally justifiable in this case. If something is banned it's simply not allowed. But to go back to the basics, if something is deemed harmful, such as smoking, I don't see what's so banned about putting that ban in place. No establishment I've visited seem to have slowed down after these bans being put in place.
That's not the point. The point is that those who advocate these bans are preventing these entrepenuers, who create jobs and provide a service, from being able to allow a particular legal activity in their establishments. It's really none of your business (pardon the pun). If you don't like the atmosphere, STAY OUT!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
That's not the point. The point is that those who advocate these bans are preventing these entrepenuers, who create jobs and provide a service, from being able to allow a particular legal activity in their establishments. It's really none of your business (pardon the pun). If you don't like the atmosphere, STAY OUT!!!
I understand what you're saying, that business owners should be able to do whatever they want as long as it's legal, and we just have to agree to disagree on that. It's like the bans for sexual predators not being able to live within certain distance from a school. Living in your home in not illegal, but it's been deemed harmful, so those bans have been put in place. I guess people would have to pick another school...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies