Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2007, 07:39 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertlovers View Post
Yeledaf:

Thanks for writing. I'm glad you're doing better, and happy that you quit smoking.

There really aren't any guarantees in life....I just lost my son a few months ago and he was only 37. (His death had nothing to do with smoking.)

My other son is 35 and he has another brain tumor. (He had his first brain tumor when he was only 22.) His first brain tumor went undetected even tho he went to see lots of doctors for the headaches he kept having at the time....

His first tumor eventually burst, and it caused him to lost eye-sight in one eye. He almost died several times, and he had to have most of his pituitary gland removed. Today, he takes life-sustaining medicine to replace the function of his pituitary gland.

It's spooky that he has another brain tumor, but we're all trying to stay strong. His medical condition has nothing to do with smoking.

Anything and everything could happen to us at any time! We may be around to see our grandkids grow up, or we could lose one or several of our children early in life....without warning.

I don't make any assumptions about anything anymore....I've learned the hard way that there are no guarantees in life. We have no idea how long we will live, or how long the people around us may live, etc.

I had a friend who was a total "health-fanatic." She didn't eat meat, she didn't drink, smoke, or do anything that she considered "un-healthy." But yet, she kept developing cancer in different parts of her body in her 40's, and died. When she got close to dying, she said she was sorry that she sacrificed so much for "health" during her life...because it didn't "pay-off." Really sad.

Anyway, I just wanted to share how I feel about things. Thanks, Claire
It sounds like you've had enough heartaches for all of us.

All the best to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 01:08 AM

234 posts, read 786,152 times
Yeledaf:

Thanks for your nice note. It means a lot!! Claire

Old 09-10-2007, 08:17 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Desertlovers,

A parent should never have to feel the agony of burying his or her own child. It's just not natural. There are no words to express the agony that it must burden you with.

It is weird that those who "try" to be healthy end up with cancer or some other debilitating disease.. with no "environmental reasons." However, if somebody smokes or something and ends up with cancer, society looks at them like it's their own "fault" because they smoked or drank.

Cute piece of info, hopefully to make you smile... a tad? A lady just turned 100 years old. And to celebrate, she lit up her 170,000'th cig.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:21 AM

118 posts, read 206,916 times
Quote:
Castaway:

Thanks for writing.

I do a lot of research on the Internet each day, but I'm not really an expert when it comes to smoking bans.

I've heard of a few judges ruling against bans....but higher courts over-turned their rulings.

Here's a couple of my favorite sites:

NewsNow: Smoking Ban

New Additions

I agree with everything you wrote....When we put government in the middle of things, we're making a big mistake.

I've been allergic to "pine" cleaners all of my life. But, I don't have the right to make them illegal or force others to stop using "pine" cleaners. (Just because they have a negative effect on me.)

I avoid "pine" cleaners the best I can....If I notice the smell of "pine" when I step into a public bathroom, I turn around and walk out. Some of the chemicals in beauty shops seem to bother me too. (As you mentioned in your post.)

Anyway, thanks for writing! More soon, Claire
Claire:
Thanks for the info. Eye opening, to say the least. I still don't understand why there can't be a compromise on this issue. It's getting to be more complicated daily. I know that there can be, just how do we the Gov't steamroller to take notice and re-evaluate?- Castaway

Old 09-10-2007, 11:31 AM

Kuharai:

Thanks for the nice note! My Mother-in-law has smoked all of her life and she is 91 now and doing great! She may reach 100 herself, or live even longer!

People of all ages can get sick or even die, from a variety of reasons. We just don't have any guarantees in life.

Sports figures, race care drivers....and people in risky occupations are considered "super-stars" & "heroes"....even though they face injuries of all kind when they participate in their chosen field or sport....Nobody blames them for their health-problems because they provide us with "entertainment."

Maybe smokers should get into the "entertainment field" too, and start dancing, singing, playing ball, doing palm reading or ???? Maybe this would give us more status and worth in society. What do you think?

Anyone who lives in a large, crowded metropolitan city runs a greater chance of getting into a car accident...and people who live in large cities breathe polluted, unhealthy air most every day. (Especially during the summer months.)

Anyway, thanks for writing and caring!! Claire

Old 09-10-2007, 11:57 AM

547 posts, read 1,185,480 times
Default My 2 cents worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
Claire:
Thanks for the info. Eye opening, to say the least. I still don't understand why there can't be a compromise on this issue. It's getting to be more complicated daily. I know that there can be, just how do we the Gov't steamroller to take notice and re-evaluate?- Castaway
I know I'm not Claire and I didn't read the linked information from Claire yet, but if I could contribute my 2 cents to this one...it is my belief the only way the people's opinions will really ever make the difference in government they should, is if we take a good hard look at the lobbyist system currently in place. Most of our frustrations in current passed laws can be directly attributed to lobbyists, paid for by big business. Politicians are puppets controlled by campaign contributors and lobbyists. I realize the tabacco companies have lobbyists as well, but I don't think they are as powerful as the medical lobbyists who also use their deep pocket contributors to keep the votes the way they want them when it comes to our well known medical and prescription drug issues, but I digress, that would be a different forum altogether. Anyway, that is the way I feel, thanks for listening. Hope I didn't step on your toes Claire.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:01 PM

Castaway:

Thanks for writing. Right now, smoking bans are the latest "fad" and "rage" in a "tide" that is sweeping the entire world.

Everyone plays "follow the leader" when it comes to enacting smoking bans. Local and state officials who who refuse to go along face harrassment and "smear campaigns" from anti-smoking groups & health organizations. (SAD!)

These groups aren't interested in compromise at all. Here are some more links. The first one lists the actual guidelines used by anti-smoking/health groups who push for smoking bans.

http://kuneman.smokersclub.com/CIA_Fundamentals.pdf (broken link)

The Smoker's Club, Inc. Encyclopedia 230

The Case Against Smoking Bans - Introduction

INFORMATION YOU NEED TO FIGHT BACK!

Anyway, enough! Thanks for writing. Claire

Old 09-10-2007, 12:02 PM

547 posts, read 1,185,480 times
Default Link to Lobbyists

Forgot to add a link I just found to Lobbyist listings....
Political Advocacy Groups: A Directory of United States Lobbyists (broken link)

Old 09-10-2007, 12:35 PM

Arizona Annie:

Thanks for writing, and thanks for the link too. I totally agree with you about lobbyists. (All types of lobbyists.)

Those of us at the "bottom" don't have the clout and power (and money) to get politicians to listen to us. (Sad situation!)

Anti-smoking and health groups "smear" people who challenge their statistics...and they label anyone who dares to question them as a spokesperson for "Big Tobacco." (Whether it's true or not!)

Don't worry about "stepping on my toes." I'm not a competitive person. Please share, share, share and share some more. We're all in it together, and we need each other's insights and information. Thanks for posting the link about "political advocacy groups." It helps! We need to know who we are "dealing with!" Claire

Old 09-10-2007, 01:03 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Arizona Annie:

Thanks for writing, and thanks for the link too. I totally agree with you about lobbyists. (All types of lobbyists.)

Those of us at the "bottom" don't have the clout and power (and money) to get politicians to listen to us. (Sad situation!)

Anti-smoking and health groups "smear" people who challenge their statistics...and they label anyone who dares to question them as a spokesperson for "Big Tobacco." (Whether it's true or not!)

Don't worry about "stepping on my toes." I'm not a competitive person. Please share, share, share and share some more. We're all in it together, and we need each other's insights and information. Thanks for posting the link about "political advocacy groups." It helps! We need to know who we are "dealing with!" Claire
Claire, you're wasting your time! Just take a look at the front page of this forum! 2/3+ of the discussions are about what else to ban. The population is even ahead of the government. It's hopeless. The majority of the people in this country are getting exactly what they deserve (and gladly) and there's nothing the rest of us can do. We'll get it, too. The brain washing's been so successful, it's mind-boggling.

They won't take personal responsibility where they should, but will where they shouldn't. Look at the "life expectancy" thread... "because we don't eat well, because we don't exercise"... Somehow it doesn't occur to anybody that they're exhausted and stressed because they don't have enough vacation, sick days, maternity leave, some work 50-60 or a second job, etc. OK, now I'm not doing what I just preached. It's WASTE of time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies