Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 01:18 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I am in favor of states implementing smoking bans. I personally have never met a considerate smoker. Seriously.
Maybe you just don't notice them because, ummm, they're considerate?? My mother wouldn't even know I smoked if I hadn't told her, since I've never done it around her... and even when I step outside for one, I'll use some body spray and/or mints so I don't stink later. And whenever I smoke outside, I'll stand as far as possible from other people, even if it means standing on the street. We do exist, whether or not you've actually bothered to notice us.

Quote:
The state I live in does not allow smoking indoors however the minute one walks out the door they can be assaulted with smoke.
The other day it was beautiful outside and was dining out when a group of smokers sat down. My party ended up moving. I believe in the right for smokers to smoke as long as it doesn't interfere with other individuals clean air. I think the smoker should be the one to make sure they are not exposing others to their toxins.
It is not just a matter of courtesy but of health.
Lots of things "interfere with others clean air" - like pollution from cars, body odors/cologne, smog, and so on. I understand your dislike of the smoke, since I'm also not so fond of it (which is why I'm in the process of quitting; already cut back considerably!). But like I said earlier, we can't ban everything that others don't like. As for the health aspect, you can't get cancer from occasional exposure, especially in outdoor areas. I'm all for the indoor bans, but once you walk outside, that's an environment we simply can't control to this degree... otherwise I'd like to suggest banning smelly vehicles, SUVs, incense (a big thing around here) and perfume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 01:19 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
are you serious? Or do you just not realize how very sick those smells make some people? They are hazardous to a lot of us. If you don't get sick,nauseated,migraines,etc from them does that still make it ok for others who do get sick to be exposed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Were their perfumes really toxins? Or are you just trying to make a point? As long as the perfumes aren't hazardous to the health of others, I don't see the problem with them.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernexposure View Post
same could and should be said for perfume /cologne wearers. I can't tell you the number of times I've had to leave stores,restaurants,even work due to that poison in the air I was exposed to by inconsiderate others. I think the perfume wearers should make sure their toxins are not exposing others to that.It is not just a matter of courtesy but of health to a lot of us as well
Amen to that! I actually had to leave a store recently, because a woman's perfume was making me sick (my throat actually starts to close up around it)... but I didn't ask HER to leave, because that's our responsibility to care for our OWN health. If you walk past a smoker on the street, you do have the right to cover your nose or walk around them.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
are you serious? Or do you just not realize how very sick those smells make some people? They are hazardous to a lot of us. If you don't get sick,nauseated,migraines,etc from them does that still make it ok for others who do get sick to be exposed?
Yup, yup and yup... as I just posted, my throat will actually start to close up around certain scents. I also suffer from migraines, which as you mentioned, can be triggered by heavy perfume/cologne - plus it also affects my vision. So yes, it is most definitely an issue of health.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:27 PM

339 posts, read 1,424,822 times
Anyone who feels "assaulted" by a puff of smoke as they walk through a doorway is a buttercup. They deserve ridicule.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:32 PM

111 posts, read 596,109 times
All I can say is smoking in public, is the same thing, as if there were drinkers in public going around making other people (who aren't drinkers) drink with them...

Since I don't smoke, I don't want to be forced to inhale, just because someone around me wants to light up...

And oh yeah, I don't drink either.

Smoking should be banned all over!

Old 05-04-2007, 01:34 PM

1,247 posts, read 926,558 times
Quote:
I guess I don't realize it. Perfumes have never bothered me much. Cigarette smoke doesn't bother me that much, either, though.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:36 PM

make my throat close up too. I've had to go to my car and lie down before I could drive after being in stores and exposed to those poison scents. A few times I ended up in the ER to get a shot for the migraine I ended up with due to aforementioned toxiic smells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yup, yup and yup... as I just posted, my throat will actually start to close up around certain scents. I also suffer from migraines, which as you mentioned, can be triggered by heavy perfume/cologne - plus it also affects my vision. So yes, it is most definitely an issue of health.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:37 PM

OMG!! my Friday "laugh for the day!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
Anyone who feels "assaulted" by a puff of smoke as they walk through a doorway is a buttercup. They deserve ridicule.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:37 PM

339 posts, read 1,424,822 times
You can't ban everything you don't like, or that offends your delicate sensibilities. If there was a health concern, I could understand it. But occassional exposure to second hand smoke won't harm you a bit. The evidience is inconclusive as to the negative effects of regular exposure.

Ban it in public buildings. Leave private land owners free to decide for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies