Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 03:07 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
I don't think so. Because, contrary to what some people would like the masses to believe, those issues do not affect blacks, exclusively.

I never said they were exclusivity in black communities that is you talking. I simply said that perhaps it would be best to try and find out why the problems exist and try to correct them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 03:15 PM

487 posts, read 636,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
you know Dora I don't need to answer all your uestion because the proof is right out there for anyone with eyes to see. Has any woman gotten married that has had a baby out of wedlock? Of course BUT like it or not the absense of black men hanging around to take care of their children is a HUGE problem in the black community, affirmed by blacks. It's their problem, not mine other then the effects on society. While it is also a big problem among all races here, blacks have it the worse. No one or nothing is responsible for this problem except themselves.
In many cultures around the world "fathers" aren't expected to hang around and raise the children. You're viewing the world through your narrow white point of view, expecting everyone else to conform to your standards.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
In many cultures around the world "fathers" aren't expected to hang around and raise the children. You're viewing the world through your narrow white point of view, expecting everyone else to conform to your standards.

Really what culture does not expect the fathers to actually raise their children?

Old 09-23-2009, 03:26 PM

487 posts, read 636,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Really what culture does not expect the fathers to actually raise their children?
How about the African American culture right here at home. You know, the one you people keep complaining about because it doesn't conform to WASP standards of what the "family" is supposed to look like. Why is the white values always viewed as the right values?

Old 09-23-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
How about the African American culture right here at home. You know, the one you people keep complaining about because it doesn't conform to WASP standards of what the "family" is supposed to look like. Why is the white values always viewed as the right values?

What???? You posted this:

Quote:
In many cultures around the world "fathers" aren't expected to hang around and raise the children.
So I asked you what culture actually does NOT expect the fathers to stay around and raise their children. So what you are trying to tell me is that the African culture does NOT expect the fathers to help raise the children? So the African community is perfectly fine with men making babies but leaving the woman to raise them? Is this what you are saying?

Old 09-23-2009, 04:14 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,610 times
Recently in a neighborhood adjacent to mine, there was a small birthday party for an 18 year-old girl. At around midnight a group of late teens/early twenties men crashed the party. They were allowed in for awhile. Eventually one of the young men made an unwanted advance toward one of the partygoers and were subsequently asked to leave.
Words were exchanged and the commotion moved outside. The young men got into their car drove away but then pulled back up in front of the house.
By this time the birthday girl was in an upstairs window hanging out of it and made the egregious error of telling the young gentlemen to "keep walking".
The driver pulled out a handgun and blasted away. One of the bullets struck the birthday girl below the collarbone. She walked downstairs in a confused state looking for help when she collapsed and died.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:33 PM

507 posts, read 678,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
What???? You posted this:

So I asked you what culture actually does NOT expect the fathers to stay around and raise their children. So what you are trying to tell me is that the African culture does NOT expect the fathers to help raise the children? So the African community is perfectly fine with men making babies but leaving the woman to raise them? Is this what you are saying?
I'm not trying to minimize the role of fathers, but it always annoys me when people act as though children can't be successfully raised in situations outside of the "traditional" family. I'm not going to dig up literature, but it's true that many cultures have family structures that don't revolve around a father, mother, and 2.5 kids. There are also situations where one parent can't be involved. My father died of a heart attack when I was very young, it's not his fault or mine that he could not be there to raise me, but my extended family stepped in and provided my brother and I with a "different" family structure that helped raise us successfully. You also have lesbians who raise children successfully, and single mothers and fathers who choose raise children independently without the help of another spouse. I don't support dead beat dads (or moms), but I thinks important to understand that sometimes the father can't or won't always be there for their child, and that child can still be successful in life.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:44 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Sure whites also have problems but blacks have far more and are a lower percentage of the population. If backs are geting more press it is because they are doing things to keep them in the press. It's up to them to clean up their own and they should start with black men who abandon their children at alarming rates.
I couldnt agree more. I saw a statistic somewhere something like 33% of black children live in 2 parent households. How appalling.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:10 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
On a daily baisis, Black Americans (as a group overall) in the U.S.; unlike any other minority group, must deal with negative press coverage, fingerpointing and criticism from (many, but not all ) White Americans about the many social problems affecting black communities, particularly within the inner-cities; such as high:

- Un-employment rates
- Murder statistics
- Drug abuse and distribution
- Poorly performing schools and high drop-out rates
- AIDS
- Teen pregnancy and single parenting
- Black male incarceration
- Overly aggressive police and police brutality

Certainly, Black communities has its share of problems. But, does White America (as a group) have any similiar type of social problems or are white people free from social problems in U.S. society?
A good question. But you won't really find much in the way of answers. Why? Because the US racializes it's social problems. The problems that you listed are in actuality social problems that afflict America. But when those problems are racialized they cease being social problems and become racial problems. So in relation to the situation referred to by the OP, the question doesn't become : What's wrong with American culture and how can these social problems be remedied? The question becomes: What's wrong with black people?

A few posters have shown some insight into this question by alluding to class. And they are to a large extent correct. But one must be careful not to overlook racism. The history of the US is such that you cannot talk about issues of class without including racism. Why? Because racism was invented to mitigate class antagonisms.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:20 PM

294 posts, read 412,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
A good question. But you won't really find much in the way of answers. Why? Because the US racializes it's social problems. The problems that you listed are in actuality social problems that afflict America. But when those problems are racialized they cease being social problems and become racial problems. So in relation to the situation referred to by the OP, the question doesn't become : What's wrong with American culture and how can these social problems be remedied? The question becomes: What's wrong with black people?

A few posters have shown some insight into this question by alluding to class. And they are to a large extent correct. But one must be careful not to overlook racism. The history of the US is such that you cannot talk about issues of class without including racism. Why? Because racism was invented to mitigate class antagonisms.
Racism was invented?
How do we stop this? pls tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies