Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:30 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
I think that people who try to "help" other people have exacerbated, if not outright caused, many of the problems we see in our nation today. Look at the large cities of this nation, the primary targets and "beneficiaries" of "progressive" or collectivist policy. The failure of some communities to adapt to society is a direct result of some "enlightened" people trying to "fix" problems by insulating those that they wanted to help from addressing the causes for their problems. This forever dooms the "beneficiaries" into repeating the same behavior that makes them "victims" in the first place. So I don't see it as a white or black issue at all. I see it as an elitist problem whereby some people are looked at as incapable of managing their own lives. These elitists perpetuate the problems by trying to fix outcomes instead of causes.
By elitists I'm assuming you are referring to liberal Whites. I disagree with your statement. Without the intervention of these "beneficiaries" many African Americans wouldn't have succeeded. There are many African Americans who have benefited and succeeded from affirmative action including your President. Do you really think race had nothing to do with Obama's transfer to Columbia from a relatively unknown college in California? Most Whites and non-underepresented minorities would have not been able to successfully transfer given the same situation. I'm sure his race didn't hurt Obama's application to Harvard Law School either. Obama deserves the success he has earned but he has certainly benefitted from the affirmative action policies that have helped African Americans. And I think this is a good thing. I believe these policies are helping African Americans succeed and thus will enable their children to become responsible Americans. I just think it's naive to assume these policies are not helping African Americans and instead hurting them.

I agree that African Americans have many problems that only they can address. However, I fail to see how cutting aid off to them will somehow bolster their progress. This tough love mentality will not help them. Rather we need to embrace what works and help solve what isn't working. Affirmative action is working. What isn't working is African American's failure to take responsibility for their own problems and making White America the scapegoat for their problems. Bill Cosby raised this issue 10 years ago and was attacked by the African American community. The fact that our President is an African American should help erase the idea that most of America is prejudice or that an African American cannot succeed in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 08:23 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
In many cultures around the world "fathers" aren't expected to hang around and raise the children. You're viewing the world through your narrow white point of view, expecting everyone else to conform to your standards.
Quote:
How about the African American culture right here at home. You know, the one you people keep complaining about because it doesn't conform to WASP standards of what the "family" is supposed to look like. Why is the white values always viewed as the right values?

So, black male values skewer toward "three hots and a cot" behind bars and "to hell with the tots"??

Old 09-23-2009, 08:30 PM

487 posts, read 636,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1974 View Post
african-american values are different than american values?
Once again you're making the ignorant assumption that white values equate "american values". Its as if white is always the archetype, always the pinnacle of what it means to be American in the minds of you people.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:40 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
Quote:
Once again you're making the ignorant assumption that white values equate "american values". Its as if white is always the archetype, always the pinnacle of what it means to be American in the minds of you people.

So I will ask you again, Is what you are trying to tell me is that the African culture does NOT expect the fathers to help raise the children? So the African community is perfectly fine with men making babies but leaving the woman to raise them? Is this what you are saying?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:52 PM

294 posts, read 412,603 times
Quote:
The founding fathers were who set the principles and ideas of america values. You assume some how that america is to be multi-cultural place it is not.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:22 AM

507 posts, read 678,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1974 View Post
The founding fathers were who set the principles and ideas of america values. You assume some how that america is to be multi-cultural place it is not.
The founding father may have set up the original political structure of the country, but they are not solely responsible for this country's culture, and a lot has changed since this country's birth over 230 years ago. I think it's unfair and a little insulting to dismiss all of the other cultures that contributed to this nation. I don't understand how America is seen as anything but multicultural. Even within the white population you have influences from the Irish, Germans, Italians, Polish and so on. Not to mention the influences from non-European cultures. Your response is extremely shallow.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:41 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
In many cultures around the world "fathers" aren't expected to hang around and raise the children. You're viewing the world through your narrow white point of view, expecting everyone else to conform to your standards.

Oh gee excuse me. I thought we were talking about AMERICAN culture. Are blacks not part of America? Are you saying it is part pf the black culture for fathers to abandon their children?

I am am not buying it but if it is then they deserve their plight.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:04 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Who was that wise slave who upon gaining freedom was asked what white Americans could do for the blacks suddenly freed who said "Nothing. Your doin with us in the first place is what caused us misery." A very wise man indeed.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:32 PM

250 posts, read 563,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Because the social pathologies of whites in American society are downplayed by the media, while the social pathologies of blacks are magnified or exacerbated.

For example: In a particular county, local newspaper continually reports on drug usage in predominately lower income black schools However, when end of year police drug usage and arrest statistics are released, the "good" wealthy schools have more drug busts and usage than the "bad" high school. And those kids are using even more "hard core" dangerous drugs.

Why? Because the media, realtors estate agents, and wealthy residents want it that way. It Keeps the property values up.
You just nailed it in simple terms!!!

Old 09-24-2009, 03:53 PM

250 posts, read 563,160 times
Thumbs up Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
My answer to this problem? Man up. Do what you need to do, and don't let anything or anyone stand in your way. (You/your being anyone who has a stigma becuase of their race, region or socioeconomic status).

Everyone has bias, and everyone is subject to prejudice. There is no utopia. It's sad that some get more than others, but we've done what we can as a group. It's up to the individuals now.
Yes.....A word to a wise is enough!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies