Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:26 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,646 times

Advertisements

On a daily baisis, Black Americans (as a group overall) in the U.S.; unlike any other minority group, must deal with negative press coverage, fingerpointing and criticism from (many, but not all ) White Americans about the many social problems affecting black communities, particularly within the inner-cities; such as high:

- Un-employment rates
- Murder statistics
- Drug abuse and distribution
- Poorly performing schools and high drop-out rates
- AIDS
- Teen pregnancy and single parenting
- Black male incarceration
- Overly aggressive police and police brutality

Certainly, Black communities has its share of problems. But, does White America (as a group) have any similiar type of social problems or are white people free from social problems in U.S. society?

Last edited by dorado0359; 09-22-2009 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 11:33 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
You forgot murder has the leading cause of death for young black men.Basically has it pretains to each group they normally have to work it out. If you read the post you will see what white americans are concerned about and what blacks constantly say they think the white problems are. like most groups both black and whites ignore most advise from the toehr group.Bascially they have to work it out in their own cuture even amoung different white sub-groups.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:39 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,829 times
I think that people who try to "help" other people have exacerbated, if not outright caused, many of the problems we see in our nation today. Look at the large cities of this nation, the primary targets and "beneficiaries" of "progressive" or collectivist policy. The failure of some communities to adapt to society is a direct result of some "enlightened" people trying to "fix" problems by insulating those that they wanted to help from addressing the causes for their problems. This forever dooms the "beneficiaries" into repeating the same behavior that makes them "victims" in the first place. So I don't see it as a white or black issue at all. I see it as an elitist problem whereby some people are looked at as incapable of managing their own lives. These elitists perpetuate the problems by trying to fix outcomes instead of causes.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:48 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
On a daily baisis, Black Americans (as a group overall) in the U.S.; unlike any other minority group, must deal with negative press coverage, fingerpointing and criticism from (many, but not all ) White Americans about the many social problems affecting black communities, particularly within the inner-cities; such as high:

- Un-employment rates
- Murder statistics
- AIDS

Certainly, Black communities has its share of problems. But, does White America (as a group) have any similiar type of social problems or are white people free from social problems in U.S. society?
Sure whites also have problems but blacks have far more and are a lower percentage of the population. If backs are geting more press it is because they are doing things to keep them in the press. It's up to them to clean up their own and they should start with black men who abandon their children at alarming rates.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:55 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times
I think the question should be WHY do blacks have these issues and WHAT can they do to correct them.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
If backs are geting more press it is because they are doing things to keep them in the press. It's up to them to clean up their own and they should start with black men who abandon their children at alarming rates.
THIS is exactly what the OP was referring too.

IF black black men are "abandoning their children at alarming rates" WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE WHITE MEN DOING...living the perfect Ozzie and Harriet life?

Old 09-22-2009, 11:58 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,392 times
Yes, of course many white people contribute to social pathologies. Also, there are many black people doing very well in this country. But the rate of such social pathologies is much higher in the black community.

For example, blacks commit a little more than 50% of the violent crime and whites commit almost 50%. The rub here is that blacks are only 12% - 13% of the population.

The illegitimacy rate for whites is almost 35% which is quite high. So white are contributing significantly to illegitimacy. But among blacks its over 70%.

I could go on and on. What made you think whites are exempt from social pathologies?

- Reel

Old 09-22-2009, 12:12 PM

507 posts, read 678,506 times
Of course white communities have issues. This is especially the case in rural communities. Recently Diane Sawyer did a special called, "A Hidden America: Children of the Mountains." The special specifically focused on poverty among whites in Appalachia. This special was particularity interesting to me because I worked with families in this region for one summer. I was honestly horrified by some of the stuff I saw, and I feel like this is a community that is often overlooked.

Teach for America also sends it's teachers to poor white communities as do other Americorp programs. I think it's crazy to pretend that white people don't deal with murder, drug problems (especially meth), and all of these other things you listed. One of the reasons I believe these issues are more discussed with regard to blacks is because the black poor are often concentrated in cities, and the issues much more visible. Really, how often do people even think about the rural poor (where I think a lot of white poverty is)? People visit the cities so they can see the urban poor, how often are people really seeing those in rural spread out communities?

Old 09-22-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
I could go on and on. What made you think whites are exempt from social pathologies?

- Reel
Because the social pathologies of whites in American society are downplayed by the media, while the social pathologies of blacks are magnified or exacerbated.

For example: In a particular county, local newspaper continually reports on drug usage in predominately lower income black schools However, when end of year police drug usage and arrest statistics are released, the "good" wealthy schools have more drug busts and usage than the "bad" high school. And those kids are using even more "hard core" dangerous drugs.

Why? Because the media, realtors estate agents, and wealthy residents want it that way. It Keeps the property values up.

Last edited by dorado0359; 09-22-2009 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 09-22-2009, 12:25 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post

- Un-employment rates
- Murder statistics
- AIDS

You will find many of these also are symptoms of lower income whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies