Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think?
I think that gay marriage & plural marriage should be legalized 22 38.60%
I think that only gay marriage should be legalized 14 24.56%
I think that marriage is between one man and one woman only, but gays should be able to have civil unions 12 21.05%
I think that Gays should not be allowed to get married or have civil unions 9 15.79%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 05:48 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times

Advertisements

There is no assault they ahve always been aginst gay marriage. Are you in the same evoidenary way saying that californians are assulkting gays? That is one sate that I thnik religionhas litle to do with it really.The separation of chuch and sate was actaullyt to protect religon form the stae forming their own as evicenced by the sate religions then.It is the people i the church that vote not their leaders. calkifornia showed that mnay no-0regilous feelt eh same way abvout gay marriage;gays just don't se it as they need a specific target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 08:46 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Blaming the victim is something that often happens in this situation. Eg: If the gays would have just behaved a different way then we would have given them their rights.

So gay people and other minorities should yield like toddlers to your authority? Sounds pretty sick to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You have to realise that the california vote said alot more than most want to acknowledge. I have no problems with civil unions but I thnik the gay movemant are often their own worse enemies. Their in your face demands and name calling make it easy for other to say;no or worse.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:48 AM

It is 63% of the voters not residents. Every qualified resident in Florida did not vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
A civil union is essentially marriage with a different name. It is recognition, and changing the name does not change the substance. Combined with a wedding at a church that does such things, it is the same exact thing as full marriage recognition by the government would amount to.

I support the posistion of the State of Florida. 63% of the residents, and results from 66 of 67 counties here agreed with this posistion last Novemeber and passed Amendment 2 as a constitutional amendment.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:48 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Pew Forum: Religious Groups' Official Positions on Same-Sex Marriage

Interesting list of 16 major religious groups in the US and their official positions on gay marriage. There are multiple Christian groups that actually support gay marriage, contrary to the belief that all Christians must oppose it.
So, will other Christian groups continue to become more liberal on Gay marriage, will the liberal Christian sects go more conservative on the issue, or will we always have this divide?

A poll will also be attached to this thread.
Kind of deceptive post. I read the list and there are only two avowedly Christian groups that favor same-sex marriage: the Episcopalians and the UCC. Both of those are dying denominations.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:51 AM

Christianity is a dying religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Kind of deceptive post. I read the list and there are only two avowedly Christian groups that favor same-sex marriage: the Episcopalians and the UCC. Both of those are dying denominations.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:53 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
dont know --if militancy continues to control the gays, things will go downhill.
metropolitan church was a good idea. unfortunately the militants would rather attack than build.
the straight churches that have tried to support and integrate the gay movement are falling apart very much like disneyland-- get rid of the values and its just another mindless kitty park.
its so funny gay leadership is pushing so hard for gay marriage. the straight guys have figured out that current marriage law cripples 1 out of every 2 guys in divorce and the gays and screaming to get some of the action. marriage is down 50% there is a reason.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:57 AM

Nobody followed the christian values to a T anyways. Look at the divorce rate and all the sloth and gluttony. Jesus is rolling in his grave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
dont know --if militancy continues to control the gays, things will go downhill.
metropolitan church was a good idea. unfortunately the militants would rather attack than build.
the straight churches that have tried to support and integrate the gay movement are falling apart very much like disneyland-- get rid of the values and its just another mindless kitty park.
its so funny gay leadership is pushing so hard for gay marriage. the straight guys have figured out that current marriage law cripples 1 out of every 2 guys in divorce and the gays and screaming to get some of the action. marriage is down 50% there is a reason.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:02 AM

48,125 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
This type of thinking was used for years to suppress the civil rights movemnt.....and Martin Luther King finally answered with "Why We Can't Wait". It isnt militant to seek equal protection under the law....it isnt militant to seek equal civil rights. I dont really give a rats behind about the main stream churches....they are irrelevent to me....but what city hall does.....that is of relevence.

If someone set out to ban divorce and to annul all second marriages and to delegitimize the children of those marriages and to strip legal rights and inheritance rights from spouses of second marriages.....I think we would see a wave of "militancy" to protect those marriages. It is the same thing.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:05 AM

The bottom line is that people need to realize the disadvantages to religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
This type of thinking was used for years to suppress the civil rights movemnt.....and Martin Luther King finally answered with "Why We Can't Wait". It isnt militant to seek equal protection under the law....it isnt militant to seek equal civil rights. I dont really give a rats behind about the main stream churches....they are irrelevent to me....but what city hall does.....that is of relevence.

If someone set out to ban divorce and to annul all second marriages and to delegitimize the children of those marriages and to strip legal rights and inheritance rights from spouses of second marriages.....I think we would see a wave of "militancy" to protect those marriages. It is the same thing.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:28 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
Can anyone who is against civil unions PLEASE answer me on this?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/10909080-post27.html

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies