Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:51 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Explain how you prevent pharmaceutical companies from overcharging.
Self-regulation - works for everything else, doesn't it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 10:03 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I have never had insurance companies tell me what to do... government on the otherhand already tell me what I can or cannot do... and that's without the public health plan... and yes, I am a doctor... albeit, I have never head of this "million med march" until now...
I'm a physician and I've had to speak on the phone with physicians who work for the insurance companies to authorize treatments for patients. I suppose it depends on your field of medicine but certain fields that involve expensive treatment like IVIG, chemotherapy and various other forms of infusion therapy are often on the phone with insurance companies justifying its use and attempting to get it authorized on behalf of the patient.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:11 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Good to see doctors being politically active outside the AMA.

Million Med March - Doctors Marching on Washington DC
Check the link. How long has this organization existed?
The letter in "Our Mission" is signed "America's Physicians". Do they actually represent America's physicians?
I'm sure that finding physicians with conservative leanings isn't difficult, but do they represent all of America's medical professionals?

Old 09-23-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Explain how you prevent pharmaceutical companies from overcharging.
When researching medication doesn't require billions of dollars. When most of the medication these companies spend billions producing get rejected by the FDA. It's not easy making medication. It is easy for third world countries to ignore patents and produce meds for cheap when they didn't spend a billion dollars producing it.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:16 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
When researching medication doesn't require billions of dollars. When most of the medication these companies spend billions producing get rejected by the FDA. It's not easy making medication. It is easy for third world countries to ignore patents and produce meds for cheap when they didn't spend a billion dollars producing it.
Should the FDA be abolished so that drug companies can be allowed to market their drugs without fear of being rejected by the FDA?

Old 09-23-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Check the link. How long has this organization existed?
The letter in "Our Mission" is signed "America's Physicians". Do they actually represent America's physicians?
I'm sure that finding physicians with conservative leanings isn't difficult, but do they represent all of America's medical professionals?
The AMA is represented by 17% of all physicians of which 5% consists of medical students and residents who sign up for the free perks (free Netter anatomy book ($100 savings) and free conference fees ($200-300 savings)

I don't know why this is a hard concept to believe. Republicans and physicians have been aligned for decades just as the Democrats and trial lawyers support one another. It's just laughable the nation thinks the majority of physicians support Obamacare because the President said the AMA supports him. The majority of physicians are Republicans and always have been.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Should the FDA be abolished so that drug companies can be allowed to market their drugs without fear of being rejected by the FDA?
One asked how to cause the drug companies from "overcharging" I don't believe that they are because it requires a lot of money in R&D to produce these medications.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:20 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The AMA is represented by 17% of all physicians of which 5% consists of medical students and residents who sign up for the free perks (free Netter anatomy book ($100 savings) and free conference fees ($200-300 savings)

I don't know why this is a hard concept to believe. Republicans and physicians have been aligned for decades just as the Democrats and trial lawyers support one another. It's just laughable the nation thinks the majority of physicians support Obamacare because the President said the AMA supports him. The majority of physicians are Republicans and always have been.
Physicians look after their own economic interests. They are not intrinsically for one or the other party.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:21 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The Dems, lefties, progressives or whatever they call themselves won't be able to count the number of doctors that do get to Washington. I wonder if our medical care will suffer for a day or two when they have to demonstrate their dislike for this farce that is called medical reform.

Those doctors don't want to be ordered around by bureaucrats and that is where we are headed and the way Obama is carrying on makes it more apparent all the time. Socialized medicine is not anything I want to see. However, I am not a doctor.
Which bureacrats would those be? The clerks at the insurance companies? You do want socialized medicine? Aren't you retired and aren't you using a government program? Hmmmmm. As for the march, will not change a thing, but don't worry it will be us that ends up paying for their trip to Washingtoon, hope they have fun.
Casper

Old 09-23-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Physicians look after their own economic interests. They are not intrinsically for one or the other party.
That same argument can be applied to the trial lawyers. They look after their own interests and the Democrats traditionally have done that so guess who they support. Likewise, who do you think has traditionally supported the interests of physicians...put this way....the Democrats were not the ones in favor of placing caps on punitive damages..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies