Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:06 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times

Advertisements

Dejavu. Didn't you start this same thread a couple of months ago? I believe I said that I had to install smoke alarms in all the bedrooms to "meet code".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 12:16 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Many banks already require much of this.

Before a new owner can be financed for many used homes, a bank will have the home inspected in order to be sure that things like the basement and roof don't leak. They check for structural integrity among other things like wiring, plumbing, insulation, and so forth.

The seller is then made to repair the home at his cost before financing can continue. I've seen these kinds of inspections include not only the home itself, but separate garages, other out buildings, and even the concrete that surrounds the home has to pass inspection.

Those are safety issues, certainly the bank is not going to want to finance a property nor would an insurance company want to insure something that has the potential to burst into flames, collapse or cause someone to die because the roof caved in on their head.

The sections of this bill have nothing to do with safety issues, they have to do with efficiency. For example if your windows you just put in ten years ago don't meet the standards you'll have to replace them. In fact it could be detrimental to safety, suppose you live in an area as described here and you have choice of windows now that would include.

Energy efficient: $
Hurricane resistant: $
Efficient & Hurricane resistant: $$$

End result is lot of consumers could end up with efficient windows that don't meet hurricane specs. If you live in area like that certainly you'd want the hurricane windows.

YouTube - Scalise: 'We're Setting Up A Global Warming Gestapo!' (Full)

Old 09-23-2009, 12:23 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,586,933 times
The OP is right. But it is worse than that. It will be illegal for anyone to occupy a residence that does not meet the new energy standards subject to daily fines by the State. Although, the State will lend you back your tax dollars to bring it up to code..at affordable interest rates..isn't that nice. Read Section II in the bill. It is all there. So it doesn't just affect homes that are being sold, it affects everyone. They can come in and inspect and ask you to vacate..or to do the work. Those are the new "green jobs" they keep talking about. Good news if you are in construction and good news for unions. Bad news for America...

Old 09-23-2009, 01:18 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,648,207 times
here's the other thread:

So, if I want to sell my house I have to spend thousands of dollars to make it green?

Old 09-23-2009, 01:31 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,641,661 times
This is what Obama is doing to create jobs...makes everything so expensive that most people will get stuck...bigger government and more fraud.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:16 PM

754 posts, read 1,919,542 times
A rose is a rose.... This is a Tax.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:37 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,641,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
A rose is a rose.... This is a Tax.
More people will be stuck in their homes and the government will be telling us what to buy and how we need to have our home....this meddling should be stopped!

Old 09-24-2009, 07:53 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,169,069 times
why would I want to sell my home? no mortgage on it or my 2nd home. almost no debt at all, all on a middle class income.

would the inspectors complain when I throw their butts out onto the sidewalk face 1st?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies