Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:22 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
I don't recall anywhere else.
I'm fairly certain that Canada is one such country that deems corporations as "individuals". I have one buddy that lives there and I popped him an email to confirm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 07:28 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The one thing that you fail to remember or factor into the equation is that corporations don't vote. They may be able to spend money on advertising but ultimately the voters have the final say despite what any evil corporation says. Are you asserting that people would do whatever the all powerful WalMart tells them to do? Do you vote that way?

Of course, I'm not sure that the voters could do a whole lot worse than the sad group of people we have running the nation today, of both parties.
You do not think that giving them this right will not give them a vote? In fact, it will cut out the middleman aka, the lobbyists.

With the Roberts Court set to overturn the Tillman Act of 1907 and expand the political rights of corporations, the editorial board of the New York Times has sounded the alarm warning that "there is a real danger that the case will expand corporations' rights in ways that would undermine the election system."

One of the main areas where corporations' rights have long been limited is politics. Polls suggest that Americans are worried about the influence that corporations already have with elected officials. The drive to give corporations more rights is coming from the court's conservative bloc -- a curious position given their often-proclaimed devotion to the text of the Constitution.

The founders of this nation knew just what they were doing when they drew a line between legally created economic entities and living, breathing human beings. The court should stick to that line.

MyDD :: The NYT on the Rights of Corporations (http://www.mydd.com/story/2009/9/23/23710/5528 - broken link)

Old 09-23-2009, 07:47 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Yes, it is.

Apparently, people have no problem with a corporation being legally designated as a "person," with attendant legal rights accorded to people, but they have a very big problem with granting rights to animals--who are actually living beings.

The Corporation Film: Watch Video

You can't have rights without responsibilities, animals can't have responsibilities hence....

Old 09-23-2009, 07:50 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Watch the trailer to a movie? Just to humor you, I watched the video, it does nothing to support your argument..

And indeed they are designed as a person so they can pay taxes, the IRS even issues the business ID numbers, (Tax ID #'s, EIN #'s for example)
HUH? you mean corporations in every other country in the world dont pay taxes because they have no number.????

Old 09-23-2009, 08:02 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
HUH? you mean corporations in every other country in the world dont pay taxes because they have no number.????
We are talking about how its done in america and the creation of the tax numbers, I'm not sure if every other country issues their own numbers, but I'm positive they are issued in other countries
Canada
Tax ID Number in CANADA Online - Apply for a Federal Tax ID Number in CANADA Online

I also hold a tax ID number for New Zealand

The question isnt, how corporations pay taxes, it is are they deemed "persons" under the law in other countries..

Old 09-23-2009, 08:24 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Why is this a problem? Granting corporations personhood obligates them to have responsibilities.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:58 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Why is this a problem? Granting corporations personhood obligates them to have responsibilities.
I may have heard a more ignorant statement but I doubt it.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Can we please stop with "the coporations are raping us all...blah, blah, blah" crap? Corporations are nothing but businesses run by humans, that employ humans, and that produce a product or service for sale. Some of you have watched too many movies and see conspiracy and evil behind every door.

What would you folks prefer? Collective farms and government owned entities like General Motors or non-profit co-ops that make goods and services and sell to the public?
you deserve a rep for this one, but they won't let me do it. I have to spread reps around..

You know, one thing so many forget, the government is just like one big corporation and they are buying up more small corporations all the time, yep, like GM

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies