Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:53 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,357 times

Advertisements

Today the U.S. and delegations from a few other countries walked out on the Iranian President. Before that, it was the Israeli delegation walking out on the Iraqi's, then before that it was another country walking out on another country. All because one delegation didn't like the words, viewpoint or position of another delegate or world leader.

These "dignitaries" are suppose to be the leaders of the world and setting the example. Instead, these "dignitaries" act more like 6 year olds throwing temper tantrums because they don't get their way.

If this is the way the U.N. is going to operate, it needs to be shut-down, the keys thrown away and all the "dignitaries" sent back to where they came from.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 08:14 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
I wish someone would walk the UN out of NY and lock the door, a park on the river would be a much better use of the land.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:17 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
That's the diplomatic way of saying that the speech is nothing but tripe and they will not dignify it by listening. It's symbolic but I approve. Let's hope Obama has the balls to put his military where his mouth is with regard to Iran.

Do you think Iran and their so-called "leader" should be given a platform to spew his nonsense?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:24 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
That's the diplomatic way of saying that the speech is nothing but tripe and they will not dignify it by listening. It's symbolic but I approve. Let's hope Obama has the balls to put his military where his mouth is with regard to Iran.

Do you think Iran and their so-called "leader" should be given a platform to spew his nonsense?
Good question.

In the meantime, a pro-western president in Honduras was denied a visa to enter the US for this get-together...

Old 09-23-2009, 08:27 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
There were 11 delegations that walked out. I think this is far more preferable way to demonstrate a disagreement that shouting a person down.

If a speaker got up and spewed racial hatred or gender hate I think most people would have no problem with this type of expression of disagreement. Why is it a problem to express disgust over anti-semitism?

Old 09-23-2009, 09:03 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
There were 11 delegations that walked out. I think this is far more preferable way to demonstrate a disagreement that shouting a person down.

If a speaker got up and spewed racial hatred or gender hate I think most people would have no problem with this type of expression of disagreement. Why is it a problem to express disgust over anti-semitism?
Yes, why is it? I look forward to the answer to that one.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:19 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Today the U.S. and delegations from a few other countries walked out on the Iranian President. Before that, it was the Israeli delegation walking out on the Iraqi's, then before that it was another country walking out on another country. All because one delegation didn't like the words, viewpoint or position of another delegate or world leader.

These "dignitaries" are suppose to be the leaders of the world and setting the example. Instead, these "dignitaries" act more like 6 year olds throwing temper tantrums because they don't get their way.

If this is the way the U.N. is going to operate, it needs to be shut-down, the keys thrown away and all the "dignitaries" sent back to where they came from.

I am very proud of the U.S., Canada, and the others. Had they sat there and let this vile person think that they thought anything he had to say was worth listening to I would have been very ashamed.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I've said this before and I'll probably say it again: Some people on this board obviously started following politics very recently. A walkout is a time-honored diplomatic tactic to show disagreement.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:42 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I wish someone would walk the UN out of NY and lock the door, a park on the river would be a much better use of the land.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post

you are right, it should be shut down, should have been years ago. Not because delegates walked out, but because it seems to serve no real purpose..

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies