U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 09-03-2010, 01:29 PM
 
27,924 posts, read 22,141,526 times
Reputation: 25660

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The difference: Blacks did not impose segregation on society. Black churches were distinct because they were not allowed to worship with whites. Hell, whites didn't even want to bury their dead in the same cemeteries with dead black people. My own father lies in a segregated cemetery.
In the mid-1970's, when my grandmother moved out of her house and in with us, she brought along a big box full of old papers. In the box was the original deed for cemetery plots she bought when my grandfather had died in 1953. He was buried in a cemetery in Paramus, NJ, that had just opened a couple of years earlier.

It clearly said in the deed that only persons of the Caucasian race were to be buried there.

It's no longer applicable, obviously, because I know a few black people who are buried there, and there is now also a section where many Muslims were buried and while that doesn't mean they couldn't have been Caucasian, the odds are they were not.

Just saying it was not necessarily all that long ago, and this was not some southern thing.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2010, 01:41 PM
 
4,146 posts, read 2,573,244 times
Reputation: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The difference: Blacks did not impose segregation on society. Black churches were distinct because they were not allowed to worship with whites. Hell, whites didn't even want to bury their dead in the same cemeteries with dead black people. My own father lies in a segregated cemetery.
Agreed, but what's the excuse now? Whether it's all black churches, all white churches or all hispanic churches; they're all the same; segregated, and it's wrong.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2010, 01:43 PM
 
4,146 posts, read 2,573,244 times
Reputation: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In the mid-1970's, when my grandmother moved out of her house and in with us, she brought along a big box full of old papers. In the box was the original deed for cemetery plots she bought when my grandfather had died in 1953. He was buried in a cemetery in Paramus, NJ, that had just opened a couple of years earlier.

It clearly said in the deed that only persons of the Caucasian race were to be buried there.

It's no longer applicable, obviously, because I know a few black people who are buried there, and there is now also a section where many Muslims were buried and while that doesn't mean they couldn't have been Caucasian, the odds are they were not.

Just saying it was not necessarily all that long ago, and this was not some southern thing.
That's terrible, thankfully we've gotten past that nonsense.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2010, 08:28 PM
 
10,452 posts, read 5,696,575 times
Reputation: 12348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Uh, how about all black churches in the north; equally racist and segregated. I know a few mixed race marriages and it's the black parents that have much more of an issue with it than the white ones. We live in the south and we're one of 4 or five mixed race couples in our church and it's not an issue, at all.
hab you ever attended any of thm? i have attneded several black churches (as a white person) and i was made to feel very welcome. in each xase i was the only white person there. you're assuming they would all turn you away but you don't know that unless you visit each one.

i'm in a mixed race marriage and my blakc in-laws have no problwm with me. i can't speak for all families and maariages, but i can say it's not alwys the black people making it an issue. it's not the black people or the white people. it's - racist - people, whether black or white or another race or mixed, that make race things into an issue.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2010, 09:05 PM
 
2,527 posts, read 2,436,342 times
Reputation: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
as scarce as gay pentacost, as scarce as nazi zionists.
as scarce as blackwater pacifists.
yea, maybe as scarce as a half white, socialist, narcissist and arrogant pothus...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 PM
 
2,527 posts, read 2,436,342 times
Reputation: 970
maybe the census can answer that question. I always answer, "Other". Hmmmm.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2010, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
12,157 posts, read 10,780,887 times
Reputation: 6375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Agreed, but what's the excuse now? Whether it's all black churches, all white churches or all hispanic churches; they're all the same; segregated, and it's wrong.
It's hard to integrate churches because a lot of people are still stuck on traditional worship.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2010, 10:36 PM
 
4,146 posts, read 2,573,244 times
Reputation: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
It's hard to integrate churches because a lot of people are still stuck on traditional worship.
That's true, we do often get hung up on the most trivial things
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2010, 10:37 PM
 
4,146 posts, read 2,573,244 times
Reputation: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
hab you ever attended any of thm? i have attneded several black churches (as a white person) and i was made to feel very welcome. in each xase i was the only white person there. you're assuming they would all turn you away but you don't know that unless you visit each one.

i'm in a mixed race marriage and my blakc in-laws have no problwm with me. i can't speak for all families and maariages, but i can say it's not alwys the black people making it an issue. it's not the black people or the white people. it's - racist - people, whether black or white or another race or mixed, that make race things into an issue.
me too
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2010, 11:33 PM
 
Location: Near Chicago
3,108 posts, read 4,966,649 times
Reputation: 1473
Amish people are predominately Swiss/German ancestry. With that being said I doubt there are any Amish blacks, 10 at most. Amish people live a 1800 lifestyle and most blacks during that time period were slaves. Plus, Amish people are scattered in rural areas of the Midwest, PA, and Canada which btw don't have a large black population to begin with. Amish people stick to themselves. Every blue moon, you'll see a group of Amish people in urban cities. I seen a family of Amish people in downtown Chicago once on N. Michigan Ave.(a mile long shopping destination).
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top