Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:13 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Actually, that is the reason we have most of our laws.

When people refuse to respect the rights of other human beings, eventually there are laws passed that hopefully help to engage their respect...
That's an old complaint...

Quote:
The Country must be built on Law, but if everybody would keep theirs and let others enjoy that same right, then no Law would be needed

With no Law in the Country, he would have the most who could aquire the most. Therefore, the Law must be made for the benefit of all, so that the righteous and peaceful and meek can enjoy their Peace, and the evil and unjust can fear that which is written in the Law.
Preamble to the Law of Jutland, AD 1241. I'm sure Hammurabi had some of the same thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 02:35 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,103 times
Somehow we have lost our way. We're quickly becoming a nation of classless azzholes.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:14 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Yesterday my daughter was sitting in her car at a red light smoking a cigarette, when a Prius pulled up next to her and the driver gestured her to roll down her window. She thought he wanted directions, but instead he started cursing her, calling her every name in the book, telling her she was a filthy b**ch for smoking and telling her she was killing the world...and on and on.

She was shocked. She rolled the window up as the light turned, but he followed her, honking his horn. She pulled over and he drove dangerously close, almost side-swiping her, giving her the finger as he went by. She came home in tears, and my wife told her to call the police, but she hadn't gotten a license number.

Maybe this guy was just some misanthrope who likes to pick on young women, but I don't think so. Facebook has an I Hate Smokers page, and if you type I Hate Smokers into Google it returns 1.2 million hits. Check out this charming posting JustRage: I hate smokers.

I've all ready posted about society's current obsession and hatred of the obese, just check out all the newer threads in C-D going on, but I didn't realize we were also now allowed to hate smokers. What is it about us that we need a target, we need someone to hate?

What is equally disturbing is how much the government is involved, at all levels, federal and state. A seemingly endless number of agencies run anti-smoking ads, demonizing the smoker the way the media goes after the obese.

And now it's gotten to the point where some jackass in a car can yell at my daughter. I don't smoke, and I wish she would quit, but I also don't curse her out, and I'm amazed that some stranger feels perfectly free to do so. But IMO opinion our government is ok with this, and it's a scary day when we are allowed to demonize whole groups of people.

I'm not talking about the human cost of smoking, the damages, on and on. Everyone knows it. But there is an incivility in tone in society lately...it's ok to curse smokers, it's ok to hate fat people. Our Sunday school manners have gone out the window. But it's a bad precedent, because who is next?
I think this country LOVES hating other people.....don't forget those dang gays too...We'd be lost without people to hate...it's an obsession...check out the gay hate threads here...it never ceases to amaze me.....people love judging others INSTEAD of cleaning their own closets and minding their own business.. It's become fashionable to hate!.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
don't hate smokers but I don't like smoke or the smells it causes. This do gooder is missing the point we don't hurt others to make us good ,quite to the contrary. I do what I can to be conscious of the planet. I turn lights off,unplug chargers, don't waste water or other resources, don't litter , don't eat meat, don't smoke, or do drugs. BUT I also don't abuse those that do. one extreme is no better than the other. ... I also don't impose my life, beliefs or p[practices on those around me... Don't tell others... show them.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:23 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Perhaps you are finding the country folks more, spirited, than the folks in the cities. I don't think country folks like to be told, what they can do, when they can do it, and who they can do it with. (nanny laws)
Actually, I've found that some country folk don't respect other peoples property. I've also found that some contractors prey on people who live outside the city limits because the laws are different governing their work habits.

But that's another subject altogether.

I feel bad for you and your thyroid problem. I hope you don't also smoke....

I just Googled "smoking thyroid weight loss" and found lots of information about hyperthyroidism.

Adios!

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-08-2010 at 10:40 AM..

Old 11-08-2010, 10:27 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
The point is, if you can have laws/rules that are made solely out of hatred for smokers (we're at the point in DC smokers have to be 25 feet away from a building entrance. Which basically is just saying "you wanna smoke, you gotta get rained on).. There's ZERO health impact involved at all. it's merely to get smokers rained on.

So if you can pass laws based upon hatred of smokers, without any rational basis, just dislike for them, then you can do it to fat people too..

Old 11-08-2010, 10:38 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
No. That's not the point at all.

But, you can live in denial if you want to.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:57 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I think I will take up smoking just to see if someone does that to me so I can so politely punch their teeth through the back of their head.

I probably would have done the same. Not the smartest thing to do but knowing myself I would have probably invited the guy to pull to the side of the road and "discuss things". Then again, I doubt he would have said boo to me because I'm not a woman.

That being said, I'm not sure if I believe that what the OP posted really happened.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:27 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Once upon a time in a society that no longer exists, an overtly rude person would get a fat lip and the issue was over. Today it would be a felony aggravated assault charge and the rude person would be collecting big bucks from a civil suit and go on to insult the next victim. We are our own worst enemy.

It's a shame because sometimes people deserve to get popped in the mouth. People act like d-bags these days because there are no consequences anymore for bad behavior. Back 30 or 40 years ago if you acted like a jerk you were liable to eat a knuckle sandwich. Nowadays, you can go to prison or be sued if you pop someone in the mouth who totally deserved it.

That's why you never throw the first punch. Not saying I would do this but had I been there in place of the OP's daughter I bet I could have gotten this guy so mad he would have gotten out of the car and taken a poke at me. I can be VERY colorful and creative when it comes to insults. Then I could beat him down and not face prosecution "he threw the first punch officer!". Not saying I'd do that but......

Old 11-08-2010, 12:04 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Actually, I've found that some country folk don't respect other peoples property. I've also found that some contractors prey on people who live outside the city limits because the laws are different governing their work habits.

But that's another subject altogether.

Adios!

It kinda sounds liks some should check out the laws of the area they want to move to. Some should also realize that people in the country may not like the city and all the laws that go along with it. That would be why they are in the country. When people from the city move to the country they might do well in realizing that difference.

It's amusing how many posters are so quick to look at the OP with a lack of credibility, yet act in much the same way as the guy in the Prius. I am having a smoke right now...so no offense to anyone on here and I hope my second hand smoke isn't bothering you.

One of the problems I have with the new smoking bans is that smokers don't have the right to create their own environment to smoke and socialize with likeminded friends. It's funny I guess, in a strange way, that those that don't smoke always want to go to the places that the smokers hang out. If there were a room in the very back of a club that no one would choose to be in except a smoker...the anti smokers would find a reason that it shouldn't be allowed, and they succeded.

The new E-cigarettes don't seem to have found much favor with non smokers either. With these, a smoker can inhale nicotene with a mist of vapor. But because they look like a cigarette, they are offensive to some. If these have no smoke or nicotene transferrence, why are non smokers so offended? Just so they can dictate or control my actions?

If Califonia had passed their legal marijuana law, would there be smoke houses that pot smokers could smoke, drink, and socialize?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies