Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:11 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times

Advertisements

i'm not sure where i stand on the issue, but the argument against getting a permit is that there is no reason that people should have to get a permit from the government to dissent and exercise their constitutional right to assembly. last night there was a protest in a park that was broken up and attacked by police simply for being there. no violence, no property destruction, no blocking traffic. well actually the police blocked traffic pretty effectively.

maybe summers73 is right, you are pretty statist when it suits you!

and the only property destruction that occurred was at unpermitted marches (and according to the police, it was almost all done by one person). there were dozens of permitted marches that went without a hitch, including one that was comprised of 4500-10,000 people and lasted for hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 09:22 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
How do you know they violated the rights of "peaceful" protesters?

According to the videos, those "peaceful" little anarchists didn't listen to the police, committed acts of vandalism and at one point did not have a permit.
The constitution protects the rights of people to protest in public forums. The most traditional public forum as defined by the courts is the public sidewalk, so you don't need a permit to protest on a sidewalk. Most of the kids in this video were on a sidewalk or actually on their own campus. I can understand if the police are keeping them from blocking traffic or something, but this video shows that the police went too far.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:47 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
maybe summers73 is right, you are pretty statist when it suits you!
Darn tootin'!

Old 09-26-2009, 09:53 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Some good p0rn for the statists. Maybe if the military gave the police enough toys, they can circumvent that annoying Posse Comitatus leftists like sanrene hate.

YouTube - Police State - The Militarization of the Police Force in USA

Old 09-26-2009, 10:06 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,439 times
This whole thing makes me sad. I see a bunch of delusional, young, anarchists taking on the "big bad gov't", destroying other people's property and ruining their chances of ever finding employment once they get a felony conviction. The sad thing is that drugs may be fueling the paranoid and delusional thoughts. Yes, our gov't is not perfect, but please put down the bong so we can have a sober and productive discussion as to how to fix our nation's problems.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:11 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,828,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
This whole thing makes me sad. I see a bunch of delusional, young, anarchists taking on the "big bad gov't", destroying other people's property and ruining their chances of ever finding employment once they get a felony conviction. The sad thing is that drugs may be fueling the paranoid and delusional thoughts. Yes, our gov't is not perfect, but please put down the bong so we can have a sober and productive discussion as to how to fix our nation's problems.
So rather then have a productive discussion you will accuse anyone who protests of being a doped up anarchist? Pretty lame Ad Hominem.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:36 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
but please put down the bong so we can have a sober and productive discussion as to how to fix our nation's problems.
Put down the bong, seriously? Come on! I was just getting ready to have fun when mine and DrJoey's previous responses in this thread were deleted.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:34 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
How do you know they violated the rights of "peaceful" protesters?

According to the videos, those "peaceful" little anarchists didn't listen to the police, committed acts of vandalism and at one point did not have a permit.
The police used ultrasonic devices that can deafen people and tear gas. Just like when the National Guard shot at crowds of students who were protesting at Kent State, innocent people got caught in the middle. Just collateral damage I guess.

Fortunately nobody got shot to death.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:36 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Maybe he's a wanted criminal. Most of the little punk anarchists need a good butt-kicking.

I'll take these patriots over fascists anyday. Unfortunately rightwing America has the numbers, so its fascism we get

Old 09-26-2009, 03:39 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
and the only property destruction that occurred was at unpermitted marches (and according to the police, it was almost all done by one person). there were dozens of permitted marches that went without a hitch, including one that was comprised of 4500-10,000 people and lasted for hours.
There were 60+ arrests - obviously not done by just one person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies