Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:44 PM

37,056 posts, read 42,015,227 times

Advertisements

Sometimes when TV stations sign off the air...but I'm not sure many sign off the air at all anymore. I don't really understand why they play it at sporting events anyway. I guess it's tradition. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I like hearing it at the Olympics or when the COUNTRY is being recognized in some is celebrating something. I don't know why it would be desirable any other time. Of course anyone can play it whenever they want so it's all good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 09:52 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,251,866 times
I've come to prefer "America the Beautiful" to the old Anacreon drinking song.

And crown thy good
With brotherhood
From sea to shining sea

That's the America we need to aim for. Enough with the bombs.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:55 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,392,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Sometimes when TV stations sign off the air...but I'm not sure many sign off the air at all anymore.
Very few. And other than at sign-off and in some cases at sign-on the following morning, the radio and television stations of forty and fifty years ago didn't play the National Anthem any more frequently than is done today.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:31 AM

300 posts, read 428,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
But my main focus is a simple question: When was the last time you heard the National Anthem played on radio or television, sports events excluded?
There is a radio station here in Phoenix, KOOL FM that plays the National Anthem, everyday, at 12 Noon.

Its wonderful to have such Patriotic people still around.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:56 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,086,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
There is a radio station here in Phoenix, KOOL FM that plays the National Anthem, everyday, at 12 Noon.

Its wonderful to have such Patriotic people still around.

Can you explain?

Only the people at that station are patriotic?

Only those who listen to that station are patriotic?

If you don't listen to the anthem everyday you're not patriotic?

If it's not played at noon , no one is patriotic?

Old 09-26-2009, 01:16 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,392,177 times
Patriotism seems to have been reduced to a matter of musical idolatry. The nation is wounded by patriotism such as this...

Old 09-26-2009, 02:31 PM

Dr. Lawrence Britt has examined the fascist regimes of Hitler (Germany), Mussolini (Italy), Franco (Spain), Suharto (Indonesia) and several Latin American regimes. Britt found 14 defining characteristics common to each:

1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism – Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia. Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:27 PM

300 posts, read 428,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Can you explain?

Only the people at that station are patriotic?

Only those who listen to that station are patriotic?

If you don't listen to the anthem everyday you're not patriotic?

If it's not played at noon , no one is patriotic?
I was merely responding to the question posed by the original poster. And, I do like the fact that they play our National Anthem. Yes, I feel it is Patriotic - and IMO, there is nothing wrong with showing Patriotism.

Thats' all.

OBTW, why do you go around with such a chip on your shoulder??

Old 09-26-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
I was merely responding to the question posed by the original poster. And, I do like the fact that they play our National Anthem. Yes, I feel it is Patriotic - and IMO, there is nothing wrong with showing Patriotism.

Thats' all.

OBTW, why do you go around with such a chip on your shoulder??
So this is a discussion forum but if someone asks you a question they have a chip on their shoulder(?????)

Hint: Don't project....it's usually inaccurate.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:36 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,521,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
This is just something I've thought about for a couple of weeks, and I thought I'd pass it along. I even googled the subject line, and came up with several good articles, the best, I guess, from wikipedia, here: The Star-Spangled Banner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I'm sure there are others as good, or better.

But my main focus is a simple question: When was the last time you heard the National Anthem played on radio or television, sports events excluded? I can remember when radio and television signed off at midnight and the anthem was played then. With the advent of 24/7 radio and television play these days, though, I can't say when was the last time I heard it. I wonder if the new diversity czar will make sure it's never, ever heard again, but maybe the Venezualan anthem, or some other country he adores will take its place? Cuba? Iran? Al Qaeda as a group?
As a liberal (yes, big shocker I'm sure), I really like the Star Spangled Banner. It never fails to give me goosebumps. I remember after 9/11 when the British Army (or whatever they were), played it as homage to the whole day & the people who died....I don't remember when I was more moved. I had goosebumps & I cried. That song riles up the patriot in me. But as for your paranoia about it? That's called conjecture & assumption....very dangerous things. I don't see why you would think that our Star Spangled Banner would be set to the side...seems hysterical to me & more than a little weird that you would think of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies