U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-26-2009, 10:13 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,081,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Or think how stupid and moronic it would be if I hated you because you had an inherited double chin or inherited moles on your face that made you look hideous and weird.
Whether it's stupid or moronic to dislike someone because they had moles or a double chin it happens. And people who would have bias against someone because of a physical appearance has issues of their own.

As a rule gay people don't look any different from most anyone else - unless in society unless they're going out of their way to look different (cross dress, gender bend...) and if someone wants to be biased against a guy who flits around and carries a Chanel purse and stilettos, or a female who presents butch like a male then that's their prerogative to dislike them for that reason and although you may not like it that's just the way some people are - that's not going to change and the more gays press on people who dislike them the more they will be disliked. Live your life and don't worry about how and why other people dislike you for being gay. And I don't see dislike of gays as being a problem that's specific to black people, it's SOME people. Get over it and move on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 10:17 AM

31,385 posts, read 18,539,137 times
Why are white people so homophobic?

Why are hispanics so homophobic?

Why are Christians so homophobic?

Why are Asians so homophobic?

What are Martians so homophobic?

Jesus, christ!

Old 09-26-2009, 10:20 AM

4,061 posts, read 1,968,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrick G View Post
Why are black people so homophobic?
Who says we (some black people) are homophobic at all, where's your proof?

Definitions of phobia on the Web:

an anxiety disorder characterized by extreme and irrational fear of simple things or social situations;

I don't see an extreme or irrational fear simply because many blacks do not accept your lifestyle as the "norm".

Old 09-26-2009, 10:32 AM

2,194 posts, read 2,571,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrick G View Post
Why are black people so homophobic?

Why are you so stupid?

Old 09-26-2009, 10:35 AM

1,065 posts, read 589,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
It depends on how religious they are. The more religious the more homophobic, but that is paralleled in any community across America. So why does the OP only target black people? Why should homophobia in the black community be considered as something endemic to only black Americans?
I have seen on TV and heard that large groups of loud , pushy blacks scare gays in California. They seem to come from the huge Churches . I was shocked , but if you see this you would think its a black thing.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:57 AM

8,289 posts, read 7,310,830 times
well why do you think the HIV rate is so huge amongst the African American community? A lot of black men are on the "down low" and being "gay" is considered soft or weak and that extends to the hispanic community as well.
I know a ton of black men who are gay or bisexual but will never come out to their family and a lot of that has to do with religion.
Homophobia does exist in the black community and to say it isn't any different is foolish. The jokes like "that boy has sugar in his tank" are all to common.
Black America frowns on gays.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:11 AM

3,395 posts, read 2,641,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Here are some links that might be of use to you OP:

Box Turtle Bulletin Ľ Why Canít We Talk About Black Homophobia?

TAPPED Archive | The American Prospect

Homophobia in Black Churches Discussed :: EDGE Washington

http://www.yale.edu/divinity/publica...ng06/12_17.pdf

Some people have speculated the homophobia has roots back to the slavery days. The master would sometimes rape the male slaves (maybe to prove how much power he had over his slaves, to humiliate them, etc.) and some saw anal sex as an indication of homosexuality. Thus some blacks may have seen their masters as gay...and thus the hatred of gays began.

Something else dealing with slavery: blacks may have seen homosexuality as detrimental to the race. "Two people of the same sex can't procreate. We need more blacks and homosexuality does not help with that goal." So on and so forth.
The male rape bit is interesting. It should be noted in most "macho" cultures (which black cultures tend to stress more than white cultures) a man who is raped is the one who is considered "gay". Look at prison for example of a macho culture at its most extreme. Most prison rapists identify themselves as straight (and many of those would literally kill you if you were to imply they were gay), but they often deride their victims as "women", "*******", "******s", and "punks". They generally view themselves as turning their victims into homosexuals. Some prison rapists are more honest about it (I remember seeing a documentary where a self-identified heterosexual prison rapist admitted they the rapist is actually gayer than the victim as he is the only one who willingly chooses to have sex with another man), but generally they aren't.

So maybe black homophobia has more to do with the idea of the one receiving anal sex as being made into a "woman" (whether or not it is against his will) than the one giving anal sex.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:14 AM

72 posts, read 230,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Why are you so stupid?
Why are you so ignorant?

Old 09-26-2009, 11:14 AM

878 posts, read 1,872,451 times
Which black people is this thread about?

Old 09-26-2009, 11:45 AM

25,169 posts, read 34,385,244 times
Actually no it is not harmful to the natural order because gay men can easily donate sperm. Let's not be silly. We don't live in 1492. The world is not flat. It is round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I didn't say hetero sit and actually visualize the act, it is simply the first thing that comes to mind when you mention homosexuality. And newflash, that is because it is the core of their identity. It is what separates them and makes them different from the other 99% of the world's population. And I didn't blame gays for anything, I simply answered a question to the best of my knowledge. I personally don't care what people do, as long as they don't harm me or anyone else in the process. And while it can be argued that the homosexual influence is harmful in itself to the natural order of things (i.e. reproduction being needed to sustain life), I don't believe it is anymore harmful to the human psyche than any other instance we may encounter throughout the course of our lives. But the sexual aspect is there, and it is and always will be a big part of how homosexuals are viewed and identified. Because the truth is, while it may not be on the forefront of homosexual activites, sexual acts are performed with the opposite sex. It isn't a matter of anal sex, since heteros do that as well. It is a matter of two people with like genitalia joining together in intimacy. It goes directly against the nature of most human beings, and will thus be one of the main identifying factors when encountering a homosexual couple.

Oh, and no, I don't think black people are predisposed to disliking gay people. I have known several gay black me, and they never seemed to experience any trouble from their community. They were for the most part, accepted. Perhaps distantly, but accepted none the less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies