Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 07:54 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
An easy solution for those who do not care for the tradition of private firearms ownership in the US is to stay in a country, or municipality in the US, that does not allow, or greatly restricts, said private ownership, and leave firearms owners be in our own areas. I own 32 firearms. I'd have more if I had more money. My family and I hunt, target shoot, compete, and would protect ourselves should the need arise. I carry a rifle in the truck everywhere I go, here in the valley, and carry concealed when we have to go to the city. The latter turned out to be a prudent practice once, and the former is a necessity. I don't feel I need justify why to anyone, and make no apologies either. Can't care a fart in a high wind what folks in the UK, Europe, or liberal metro areas here in the US think of how we choose to live. It works for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 09:06 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
An easy solution for those who do not care for the tradition of private firearms ownership in the US is to stay in a country, or municipality in the US, that does not allow, or greatly restricts, said private ownership, and leave firearms owners be in our own areas. I own 32 firearms. I'd have more if I had more money. My family and I hunt, target shoot, compete, and would protect ourselves should the need arise. I carry a rifle in the truck everywhere I go, here in the valley, and carry concealed when we have to go to the city. The latter turned out to be a prudent practice once, and the former is a necessity. I don't feel I need justify why to anyone, and make no apologies either. Can't care a fart in a high wind what folks in the UK, Europe, or liberal metro areas here in the US think of how we choose to live. It works for us.
Agree 100%
Europe is a nice place to visit but sure would not want to live there. And if you don't like guns don't own any. But I happen to enjoy them so I will own them. And TKcramer, put the pipe down, your already high enough!!

And I really had to laugh about how we don't need to hunt wild game any more. Who ever said that needs to get out in the country more, you would be surprised at the amount of deer that you will see run out in front of your vehicle or dead along the side of the road.

Now I must go to bed with my big bad gun neatly lying under my bed and hope it does not jump out and shoot me.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:32 PM

27 posts, read 55,437 times
You don't need to prove the necessity of a firearm. If you want one get one, if not then don't get one. Simple. It never ceases to amaze me how ridiculous people are.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:41 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
The reason you have felons with guns in your home is because of the absurd gun laws in the USA. This is a fact no matter how you try to make excuses for it.
To the previous poster who said the gun crimes are rising in the UK. You are completely wrong. Violent crime is going down in the UK. Gun and knife crimes have dropped and are still falling.

the only thing about the gun laws in the USA is that there are any at all. gun laws are there only for the law abidng, and crooks do not follow the law.

take away the gun laws and see crime fall in the USA.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:47 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
An armed society is a polite society.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:15 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
an armed society is a polite society.
+1

Old 09-30-2009, 05:44 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
Quote:
The reason you have felons with guns in your home is because of the absurd gun laws in the USA. This is a fact no matter how you try to make excuses for it.
To the previous poster who said the gun crimes are rising in the UK. You are completely wrong. Violent crime is going down in the UK. Gun and knife crimes have dropped and are still falling.

HAHAHAHA!! Wow, you really have your head in the sand. That's fine but remember which part of your anatomy you leave exposed. The criminals that are running unfettered in your country will be happy to take care of that for you. Greatday is right. You are hopless. Have fun in your little world.

By the way, if our laws are the problem, please explain why virtually every state that has enacted right to carry laws, every state that has the most lax gun laws have the lowest crime rates? You are completely out of touch. Stop believing every word you hear from your government and the liberal press about the terrible USA.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:59 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the only thing about the gun laws in the USA is that there are any at all. gun laws are there only for the law abidng, and crooks do not follow the law.

take away the gun laws and see crime fall in the USA.
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. At the moment there is a HUGE gun problem in America because many people feel they have to get a gun to protect themselves from the fellons with guns. In the UK fellons cannot just walk into a gun store and buy a gun as in the USA and so gun crime is pretty rare. No one needs a gun in their home in the UK and feels safe without one. Strict gun rules will never stop everyone getting guns but does mean that to get one you must go underground and guns become expensive to get. There are still many legal gun clubs in the UK but gun crime is NOT a problem. You will NEVER stop the huge gun crime in America until you have much stricter gun control. If you like having every Tom, Dick and Harry being able to buy a gun in America, whether they are mentally stable or not, then keep your outdated and impotent gun laws and use your "Rights" as a excuse to cherish and keep your lethal weapons but please stop the tears for the massacres and deaths by guns everyday in America as many could be prevented with good gun laws.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. At the moment there is a HUGE gun problem in America because many people feel they have to get a gun to protect themselves from the fellons with guns. In the UK fellons cannot just walk into a gun store and buy a gun as in the USA and so gun crime is pretty rare. No one needs a gun in their home in the UK and feels safe without one. Strict gun rules will never stop everyone getting guns but does mean that to get one you must go underground and guns become expensive to get. There are still many legal gun clubs in the UK but gun crime is NOT a problem. You will NEVER stop the huge gun crime in America until you have much stricter gun control. If you like having every Tom, Dick and Harry being able to buy a gun in America, whether they are mentally stable or not, then keep your outdated and impotent gun laws and use your "Rights" as a excuse to cherish and keep your lethal weapons but please stop the tears for the massacres and deaths by guns everyday in America as many could be prevented with good gun laws.
Fact check is due here. Felons cannot just 'walk into a gun store' and buy firearms. They are prohibited from even going to a gun store. Thus the charge of 'convicted felon in possesion of a firearm'. This does not stop them from getting them by ILLEGAL means , however. Laws against and bans on, private firearms ownership do not effect the bad guys. If they want a gun, they have but to ask their criminal buddies, who they are also prohibited from associating with. Works real well. The only ones who are effected by firearms restictions are those who follow the laws.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:44 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Now, wait a minute. Let's give Geeoro's idea a fair shake.

Let's say, for discussions sake, that as of today, the sales of all guns (especially handguns), are strictly prohibited. IMO, this is essentially what Geeoro is suggesting.

IMO, Geeoro is also suggesting that the handguns already owned need to be turned in. That the ownership of all guns, especially handguns, is now, as of today, prohibited.

GEEORO - PLEASE CORRECT ANY MISTAKES IN THE ASSUMPTIONS I MADE ABOVE.

My question is, how would Geeoro suggest that the Government (United States and Local) enforce compliance of this new law? How does the Government make sure that all guns are "turned in"?

I really am interested in exploring this part of Geeoro's ideas.

(geeoro says he has me on ignore - would someone please quote me so he can see it? Thanks)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies