Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:10 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times

Advertisements

Obama to Make Olympic Pitch

President Obama will travel to Denmark on Thursday to lend his weight to efforts to land the 2016 summer Olympics for his adopted hometown of Chicago, the White House said Monday

Obama to Make Olympic Pitch | 44 | washingtonpost.com

Barack will leave on thursday...Michelle will leave on Wedsnesday....can't they travel together to save some fuel and money?

Obama will be the first president ever to make a trip like this to lobby for the Olympics.....so another record/accomplishment , and this during a time that more and more people are losing their job, health has to be pushed trough by his government, Iran is firing long range missilles....Wow, this president really know his priorities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 08:46 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Priorities baby...isn't the Olympic Games more important than, umm, General McChrystal in Afghanastan who only spoken to Obama once in over two months and who says we are going to lose the war.

Geesh, these trips make now make Bush's trips to Crawford not so bad anymore doesn't it?

And of course, Obama has to take care of all his croonies in Chicago that helped put him in office.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:52 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
This BS deserves the George and Weezie Jefferson treatment:

Well we're movin on up,
To the east side.
To a deluxe apartment in the sky.
Movin on up
To the east side.
We finally got a piece of the pie.

Fish don't fry in the kitchen;
Beans don't burn on the grill.
Took a whole lotta tryin'
Just to get up that hill.
Now we're up in the big leagues
Gettin' our turn at bat.
As long as we live, it's you and me baby
There ain't nothin wrong with that.

Well we're movin on up,
To the east side.
To a deluxe apartment in the sky.
Movin on up
To the east side.
We finally got a piece of the pie.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:04 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
The Olympics are always a big earner for the economy. He is right to go lobby for them

Old 09-28-2009, 09:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
They don't travel together for security purposes. This has been discussed ad nauseum in the past.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:08 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times
Isn't Chicago in the running??? Maybe that is why he is trying to promote it. I wonder if he would promote it if another city were in the running, say somewhere like Dallas.......Nah I doubt it!

I hope the IOC laughs in his face!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:08 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Obama to Make Olympic Pitch

President Obama will travel to Denmark on Thursday to lend his weight to efforts to land the 2016 summer Olympics for his adopted hometown of Chicago, the White House said Monday

Obama to Make Olympic Pitch | 44 | washingtonpost.com

Barack will leave on thursday...Michelle will leave on Wedsnesday....can't they travel together to save some fuel and money?

Obama will be the first president ever to make a trip like this to lobby for the Olympics.....so another record/accomplishment , and this during a time that more and more people are losing their job, health has to be pushed trough by his government, Iran is firing long range missilles....Wow, this president really know his priorities!
So is your issue that he's going to the Olympics or that they're flying separately?

Old 09-28-2009, 09:12 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
They don't travel together for security purposes. This has been discussed ad nauseum in the past.
Oh yeah? Why don't you re-nauseate us please? The President of the United States of America has the tightest security of any man alive, and you expect me to believe that sending his wife a day earlier is for security purposes? Why do I have visions of Presidents from every decade since the inception of airborne presidential movement showing the President and the First Lady embarking and disembarking the aircraft together?

What "security purpose" does she serve? I don't recall that something happening to the First Lady having any impact on the continuity of government.

You mention ad nauseum. You should provide the proof.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:16 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Oh yeah? Why don't you re-nauseate us please? The President of the United States of America has the tightest security of any man alive, and you expect me to believe that sending his wife a day earlier is for security purposes? Why do I have visions of Presidents from every decade since the inception of airborne presidential movement showing the President and the First Lady embarking and disembarking the aircraft together?

What "security purpose" does she serve? I don't recall that something happening to the First Lady having any impact on the continuity of government.

Maybe Katiana is still stuck in the Clinton presidency, when Hillary was "acting President"!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

Here is another thread where this topic was beat to death, by some of the same people:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ml#post9179648

Here are several posts from that thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Is it too much to ask for, that they whole family travels on one plane...Yes they are his kids too, at least as far as we are told...I never heard about DNA testing and I would never have thought about it till you brought it up....but the sentence was Michelle and her kids...is that a wrong statement...or should i have said Michelle and the kids she has with her husband, or do you want it in a different way....maybe some English essay....

the deal is that Obama is telling the nation to sacrifice and make sacrifices while he is wasting money by going on separate planes! I understand that he had to be in Normandie and i would have no problem that Michelle and THEIR kids would be there, but the logistics of how to get there is wasting tax payers money or can we ask Obama to pay out of his own pocket the next time he is making private waste trips....maybe he can eat pork in Washington!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
In this case, IMO, YES - it would be too much to ask for.

This trip involved several stops where there were some very high security concerns - and stops where women are not necessarily welcomed.

So, if for no other reason but concerns for the safety of the family, I would not bring them on the same plane either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I see Great Day (no Obama supporter I might add) answered your first question better than I could have. I don't "get" why some people think the First Family is like any other family, and can go to the local travel agency and book a flight to Paris.

Now as far as the bold, that was uncalled for, to question whether the kids are his. I was not understanding why you didn't say "Michelle and the kids" or "Michelle and their kids". I tend to think more in terms of the family unit when referring to the kids.

I have never heard of another president being asked to pay "out of his own pocket" especially to attend a diplomatic function, even if he brings his family, even during a recession. Most presidecies have seen some sort of recession.
This was in reference to a trip to France to commemorate D-Day, btw.

It is not the only thread to discuss the same stuff, over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies