Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:59 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSilver View Post
yep. Same information from my foreign friends as well. They are worked
to death with no time off ever ... well until they can get into a university.
This starts at age 4-6.
And while we certainly need to get our kids (on the whole) more competitive in a global market, there needs to be a line drawn as to how far we are willing to go.
All of this schooling in Korea and Japan - well, they get great grades but at what cost? There is tremendous pressure on them to get the best grades in order to get into the best university in order to get the best jobs --- I don't have statistics in front of me, but I believe that they have a high teen suicide rate as well as teen depression.

The Asian models certainly have things we ought to emulate, but I wouldn't want to live on such a schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 04:12 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,546,236 times
^^ I agree! I feel so sorry for those kids. Thanks for understanding.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:15 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Did you read the article? Changing the schedule isnt the only part of the plan. It also includes adding hours and days to the school year.
Sounded like he was saying schools should stay open later, so that students have a place to be.

After school, many kids just go home, even 6 year old kids, by themselves. I know, I used to be one. I was only home from school for about an hour alone, but I still got into a lot of mischief. And I was in a good family environment, in a small town where all my neighbors knew me. I can only imagine what they do in bigger towns, where you don't know your neighbors.

If they want to extend the school day by an hour, I'd support it still. Also, if its volunteer after that, I'd support that to. So parents could make a decision, do you want your kids in school until 6? or would you rather them leave at 4?

I'm ok with that. Still, I think he'll have a harder time getting longer days through, rather than just year round school. I've long been a proponant of year round school.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
So he wants the schools to stay open late, open on weekends and get rid of summer vacation ?

So that would mean 12 hour school days with breakfast, lunch and dinner ?
What's on the weekends..breakfast and lunch ?

Geeze..just put some cots in there and call it "public boarding school".

Imagine what school taxes will shoot up to ?

Old 09-28-2009, 05:08 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So he wants the schools to stay open late, open on weekends and get rid of summer vacation ?

So that would mean 12 hour school days with breakfast, lunch and dinner ?
What's on the weekends..breakfast and lunch ?

Geeze..just put some cots in there and call it "public boarding school".

Imagine what school taxes will shoot up to ?
Actually, he wants the equivelent of a 12 month / year round school - which we already have in some districts.

And having the school grounds remain open later - so kids have somewhere safe to play and study, is not necessarily a bad idea per se. It would cost money and that is of course, a concern.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually, he wants the equivelent of a 12 month / year round school - which we already have in some districts.

And having the school grounds remain open later - so kids have somewhere safe to play and study, is not necessarily a bad idea per se. It would cost money and that is of course, a concern.
He said longer schools days..not after school care. Big difference.
That means classes with teachers and such..not babysitters while the kids are playing in the gym.
And many public schools already have after school care at the schools.

From the article:
"The president, who has a sixth-grader and a third-grader, wants schools to add time to classes, to stay open late and to let kids in on weekends so they have a safe place to go."

Old 09-28-2009, 05:20 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
He said longer schools days..not after school care. Big difference.
That means classes with teachers and such..not babysitters while the kids are playing in the gym.
And many public schools already have after school care at the schools.

From the article:
"The president, who has a sixth-grader and a third-grader, wants schools to add time to classes, to stay open late and to let kids in on weekends so they have a safe place to go."
In our area, public schools do not offer after school care.

I would not have a problem with longer school days - nor a problem with getting rid of the 3 month summer time off.

Again - from the article, "to stay open late" = after school activities. And "let kids in on weekends" = a safe place to go.l

Issues that might be considered.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:25 PM

Well Greatday, if you have kids in school then you realize that staying open later with longer classes will not make them any smarter. Saying more school will make them smarter is the easy way out.

I would first get rid of NCLB. Get the Fed out of the school system.
Rework the curriculum so it's not based on standardized tests and it's not an easy revolving door to the next grade to get floated through the system.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:27 PM

640 posts, read 1,731,660 times
I think this is a great idea. Kids around the world run circles around American kids in academics, especially math and science.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:30 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
And yet, American children already spend more time in the classroom than their Asian counterpart countries who outscore them.

I don't believe this is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies