Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 01:55 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
It is a black thing. Why don't you look at the statistics of black killing blacks in their communities and schools. Denial solves NOTHING! Do facts and reality scare you?
I'm not in denial but I don't see it as a black thing. When white kids go and shoot up a school that is predominantly white I don't sit back and go "Why aren't white people outraged by this!"

There was an incident in Orlando when I lived there where a group of high school girls tricked another girl into coming over and then jumped her. None of them were black and I don't have any kids in high school but I was concerned because I lived in that area.

Some of us aren't bound and chained to only have certain thoughts because of our skin color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 01:59 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
What is messed up is that I bet the kid swinging did not even really think that would be a fatal blow. Probably just looked at it as a fight. It is not a black thing. White people do things like this too. Just a FYI...for poorer areas that still have lead pipes. Lead has been shown to raise aggression in kids. No bull. Add in the poor nutrition, the frustration of always being a "have not" in a sea of plenty..things are going to blow up. No one listens to you at that age. Especially if you are wild kid. Its just a recipe for disaster. I think they need to lower the laws of adult prosecution age to 13. Especially in cases like this.
There is NO NEED to kick someone in the head or hit them with a log. A 5 year old could tell you that is wrong.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
What is messed up is that I bet the kid swinging did not even really think that would be a fatal blow. Probably just looked at it as a fight. It is not a black thing. White people do things like this too. Just a FYI...for poorer areas that still have lead pipes. Lead has been shown to raise aggression in kids. No bull. Add in the poor nutrition, the frustration of always being a "have not" in a sea of plenty..things are going to blow up. No one listens to you at that age. Especially if you are wild kid. Its just a recipe for disaster. I think they need to lower the laws of adult prosecution age to 13. Especially in cases like this.
There is NO NEED to kick someone in the head or hit them with a log. A 5 year old could tell you that is wrong.
The sad part is I have no idea how to fix a problem like this. It seems like the cycle won't end until the people living in the cycle want to end it.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:06 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,087,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I'm not in denial but I don't see it as a black thing. When white kids go and shoot up a school that is predominantly white I don't sit back and go "Why aren't white people outraged by this!"
White kids that shoot up a school are far more rare and people are outraged. You need to check some statistics before you just write the problem off. This is not a racist thing, this is a daily tragic thing and the black leaders have really made no push to address it. Do you have a problem with this being addressed in a big way so more kids are not killed? You want to play a race card instead of wanting anything to be done to save a few innocent kids? This kid was just walking through and had no part of these gangs.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:08 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
The sad part is I have no idea how to fix a problem like this. It seems like the cycle won't end until the people living in the cycle want to end it.
I think that the US is a horribly violent culture.
I really don't like living there at all.

Television is violent, video games are violent...
Kids are impressionable...
Recipe for disaster.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:08 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times
Quote:
It is a black thing. Why don't you look at the statistics of black killing blacks in their communities and schools. Denial solves NOTHING! Do facts and reality scare you?
Black, white, or otherwise, it won't make a difference on our American streets.

The "facts", such as they are, can say that so long as we have violence on TV, violent video games, violent lyrics in our music ... there will be such things as this happening.

It's a terrible waste, regardless.

We here in America, train our children to be this way, whether we like it or not. We are an egocentric violent bunch, and by our media, lack of genuine concern, and self indulgence, we create the very things that cause videos like this to happen.

As a nation, a community, and on an individual level, we are the ones that are responsible for this. We've no one to blame but ourselves.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
White kids that shoot up a school are far more rare and people are outraged. You need to check some statistics before you just write the problem off. This is not a racist thing, this is a daily tragic thing and the black leaders have really made no push to address it. Do you have a problem with this being addressed in a big way so more kids are not killed? You want to play a race card instead of wanting anything to be done to save a few innocent kids? This kid was just walking through and had no part of these gangs.
If it's not a racist thing then why do BLACK leaders meed to address it? By making this a "black" issue you are really diminishing it and saying "it's something that black people need to handle." I know you may think the things that happen out in "the black world" don't affect you but unfortunately we all live in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Black, white, or otherwise, it won't make a difference on our American streets.

The "facts", such as they are, can say that so long as we have violence on TV, violent video games, violent lyrics in our music ... there will be such things as this happening.

It's a terrible waste, regardless.

We here in America, train our children to be this way, whether we like it or not. We are an egocentric violent bunch, and by our media, lack of genuine concern, and self indulgence, we create the very things that cause videos like this to happen.

As a nation, a community, and on an individual level, we are the ones that are responsible for this. We've no one to blame but ourselves.
Exactly. By pushing this off as a "black problem" it makes it smaller than what it is. The issue of safety for our children should be a national concern not divided up into little boxes and tick marks for individual groups to solve.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:34 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
This stuff goes on everyday in the inner cities, its just that its so commonplace that the media rarely reports it.
And yet when a rich, pretty white girl gets too drunk on a Caribbean vacation and leaves with the wrong guy, we hear about it on every media outlet for years...

The murdered kid was an Honor student, who might have made something of himself. Maybe if the mainstream media showed this stuff more often, we'd see some changes in the inner cities.

I coach kids who come from a similar (though San Diego is nothing like Chicago, it's much safer) background, and a couple of my players have been jumped for no reason at all by their classmates.

It all starts with early childhood development, we need to focus more on elementary schools and making them places where kids actually learn values and the consequences of their actions. In the video, it's obvious that the moron swinging the giant piece of wood had no clue what the danger of it was. You could hear him laughing...

Then again, some people are just sociopaths. Case-in-point, the La Jolla gang known as the "Birdrock Bandits" who murdered an innocent surfer a couple years back. All those kids grew up in the richest beach town in America and yet they still teamed up 5 on 1 against a guy who spilled a drink. Now they get to spend a long time in prison...

Old 09-28-2009, 02:41 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,593,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
Wow do you really think we can't see the racial undertones to your post?
Who is we?? Moderator cut: not necessary

Last edited by katzenfreund; 09-29-2009 at 07:15 AM..

Old 09-28-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
As for the topic at hand, this is so very sad. Here we have a kid who was trying to better himself and his life is over. I am at a loss for an answer here. It definitely doesn't help that gangs are idolized as if they are Phi Beta Kappa or something.
Me too. The words "better" "more" keep popping into my head but better what? More what? In my mind the real solution starts at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies