Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 09:15 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times

Advertisements

I didn't say I did pay $500 for rent, I'm saying that anything over $500 is overpriced.

I suppose if you MAKE more than 20K, you're base tax rate would be higher. Mine's only 10%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 09:17 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,861,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Yeah I guess I just don't see it. I spend $100 a month on food before I even make it to the meat aisle but we eat a lot of fruit. Even if it was just me by myself I couldn't live comfortably making $10 an hour unless I gave up everything I enjoyed and if I'm not enjoying my life than what's the point.
I guess it depends upon what you consider the good life...watching a big screen TV is not the good life to me...

Eating mediocre but high priced food while dining out isn't either.

You say you eat a lot of fruit,one thing you might try is to start eating seasonally,it would cut down on the costs....

People need to stop thinking that they can eat cheap out of season food.
For one thing, out of season food has travelled thousands of miles to get here and to do that it is often picked before it is ripe.

Anyway I am off topic.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:25 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,194,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
LOL...people do it all the time,people can actually live on only a few thousand a year.

The problem is all the expenses that modern people think are 'needed'.

10 pound bags of chicken are $7.
50 pound bags of rice are $22.
Dried beans are VERY cheap too.

Rice and chicken is not a balanced meal, and is certainly not delivering a USDA recommended daily level of nutrition, and, would lead to fun things like scurvy, osteoporosis, joint problems, digestive problems, hair and fingernail disease, etc.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Then they are overpriced, right? Most housing is. I think $500 a month is much more reasonable for a 2-bedroom, myself.

Housing is priced based on various market factors. Sure, if you live in the middle of nowhere with few to any amenities, your housing will be less, because nobody wants to live there. Its got temperature extremes, high taxes, no jobs, polluted, dangerous, etc.

In reality, NYC housing is actually underpriced, because a lot of it is under various city ordinance that doesnt allow building owners to get market rate for the buildings.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:29 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I guess it depends upon what you consider the good life...watching a big screen TV is not the good life to me
Me either but I go a lot - not to eat; but I like to go to shows and festivals and events and musems and plays and just about everything else. I catch a lot of free stuff or cheap stuff but you still have to drive to get there and eat.

Quote:
You say you eat a lot of fruit,one thing you might try is to start eating seasonally,it would cut down on the costs....People need to stop thinking that they can eat cheap out of season food.
For one thing, out of season food has travelled thousands of miles to get here and to do that it is often picked before it is ripe.
We pretty much buy the same thing year round; bananas, grapes, apples, pears. It's more veggies really - I go through a $8 carton of spinach leaves every week; plus the raw peppers (yellow, red, orange) are about $4 for the pack of 3 and I usually buy two or three of those; we spend about $15 a month on milk..at least $20 on bread....I don't know food just doesn't last long around here even though I buy in bulk

Quote:
Anyway I am off topic.
It's ok I think everyone else...

I don't think it should be mandatory for an employer to offer PTO but I have liked my jobs that did offer it more than the jobs that didn't...but on an overall scale the jobs that did offer usually had more employee appreciation than the ones that did not.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:30 AM

Canned vegetables are fairly cheap. If you're into vegetables. I really don't like eating vegetables, and I've experienced no problems.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Canned vegetables are fairly cheap. If you're into vegetables. I really don't like eating vegetables, and I've experienced no problems.

Until you get a bit older. Have fun with that.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:32 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
Quote:
Canned salad lol that sounds awful

Old 10-02-2009, 09:34 AM

We didn't eat rabbit food.

Corn, peas, green beans, tomatoes. Canned. Lots of rice and hamburger and chicken. She ate the majority of whatever potatoes she cooked, as I don't care for them. Pasta's cheap.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:34 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,861,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdude View Post
rice and chicken is not a balanced meal, and is certainly not delivering a usda recommended daily level of nutrition, and, would lead to fun things like scurvy, osteoporosis, joint problems, digestive problems, hair and fingernail disease, etc.
lol.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies