Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 07:01 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Just an FYI.

40,000,000 American workers earned less than $11/hour, a full 24% of all workers.

So I guess it is possible to get by on this little money...

Maybe a lot of you are spoiled???
Many of these workers live in poor conditions. Many of those making $11 an hour are

1. Elderly who have other supplementary income
2. People who are getting gobs of government assistance, such as food stamps and Section 8
3. Younger people who live with their parents, or in roommate situations that force them to overpopulate inadequate living spaces (3 or 4 people living to 1 bedroom).
4. People who are working 2 or 3 of those jobs, and cant "smell the roses".

I would be interested to see how many people are living on their own, with no other sources of income, in a living situation where there is 1 person per bedroom, and are making less then $11 an hour, but only working 1 job. We will simply ignore the lack of any kind of insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 07:04 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Pollyanna, it's called being realistic, being pragmatic. We are born, go to work, and we die. Nothing that happens in the interim makes a real difference.
Yes because enjoying life and the things that you've worked for would be silly What's the point of achieving anything or forming relationships when we're all going to die anyway.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It was only pointless, because people are overly materialistic.

Poverty has nothing to do with being materialistic. Like I said, this isnt simply forgoing a big screen TV, this is the level that people are getting their power turned off, the level that they have no insurance, the level that they cant afford proper food, the level that they cannot afford any emergencies.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:06 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Why are you so hostile to the idea of others getting by on less money?

People do it all the time,perhaps not in a major urban area such as NYC or the like but that doesn't change the facts.

I also think(this is just my opinion) that people better get used to making a LOT less money in the next few years....jobs are gone and aren't coming back,once employers have a larger pool of potential employees there is no need to offer as much incentives.

But that is just my opinion.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:07 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Many of these workers live in poor conditions. Many of those making $11 an hour are

2. People who are getting gobs of government assistance, such as food stamps and Section 8
3. Younger people who live with their parents, or in roommate situations that force them to overpopulate inadequate living spaces (3 or 4 people living to 1 bedroom).

I would be interested to see how many people are living on their own, with no other sources of income, in a living situation where there is 1 person per bedroom, and are making less then $11 an hour, but only working 1 job. We will simply ignore the lack of any kind of insurance.
His very own link pretty much says these same things but he overlooked that part because it didn't back up his theory that 40 million people are perfectly happy living in poverty and the rest of us are spoiled because we "worry about things that might happen"

Old 10-06-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Yes because enjoying life and the things that you've worked for would be silly What's the point of achieving anything or forming relationships when we're all going to die anyway.
I guess if you are materialistic and require things to make you happy you would need to make more money...

In the story I posted,who do you more identify with,the businessman or the fisherman?

Old 10-06-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Why are you so hostile to the idea of others getting by on less money?

People do it all the time,perhaps not in a major urban area such as NYC or the like but that doesn't change the facts.

I also think(this is just my opinion) that people better get used to making a LOT less money in the next few years....jobs are gone and aren't coming back,once employers have a larger pool of potential employees there is no need to offer as much incentives.

But that is just my opinion.
You are probably correct about us losing jobs we will never see again, however, we should not get used to that, EVER. We should not be complacent eating beans every day, when others have 8 mansions made off our backs.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
You are probably correct about us losing jobs we will never see again, however, we should not get used to that, EVER. We should not be complacent eating beans every day, when others have 8 mansions made off our backs.
Ahhh, you are jealous that others have more....

Have you ever thought that not everyone is worth the same money?

Old 10-06-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Ahhh, you are jealous that others have more....
Jealous, no. Disturbed as to why there are people starving who work 40 hours a week, in a country with by far the most billionaires, yes.

Personally, Id be content with a small house, food in the cupboard, a netflix subscription, gas for the car if I needed one, health insurance, and enough left over to save 25% of my net income.

I dont think thats too much to ask.

Quote:
Have you ever thought that not everyone is worth the same money?
You are right, however, most people employed are worth more then what they are making (which is the concept of profit, or, stolen labor value). All of that money is being captured in the pockets of the billion and millionaires that own capital.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:30 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:

I'm making less than that now. Yet even before I surpassed $10 an hour, I was supporting two people on my income. She somehow managed to buy herself a new TV, a DVD player, and basically an entire computer. Plus a car. On only MY income. At the time we were paying $355 every two weeks in rent. And she was cooking dinners, and paying for her to have insurance (I refused to drive the car).

And the bills got paid. THrough my income alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies