Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 02:27 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Just when I thought you were finally understanding that price is not contingent solely on the concepts of supply and demand. {sigh}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 02:56 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Just when I thought you were finally understanding that price is not contingent solely on the concepts of supply and demand. {sigh}
I never said it was base solely on supply and demand.

What I did say is that you do not understand the conept behind supply and demand and it's relationship to price and units. And without this understanding all deeper thought would be flawed as supply and demand is the foundation.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:56 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
You don't understand the basics of supply and demand. How can you go deeper when what you say about the basics is wrong? It's like discussing the finer point of driving with someone on the wrong side of the road.
I'm surprised you entertained him as long as you did. I'm sure that you realize he is making up 90% of the things he says.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:04 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
I never said it was base solely on supply and demand.

What I did say is that you do not understand the conept behind supply and demand and it's relationship to price and units. And without this understanding all deeper thought would be flawed as supply and demand is the foundation.

Indeed, most of what he is saying is explained by shifts in the demand curve, and is just a small expansion on the very basics.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:28 PM

Oh, heck. I gave a perfect example using x and y.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:37 PM

70 posts, read 136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
That's where you work. Please don't think is everywhere.
While it's nice your company does this, I take issue that only women can take off when they have kids. What about people who don't have children? What if they need to take care of an ill family member?

Are We a Family-Friendly Nation?
I think there should be PTO for those who have no spouse but ill close family members such as a mom, dad, sister or brother that is unable to take care of themselves as well. There is significant discrimination against single people in the employment sector. BTW, I am married.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Oh, heck. I gave a perfect example using x and y.

No, you gave a bad example using x and y. You had ill defined terms, and no curves.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I'm surprised you entertained him as long as you did. I'm sure that you realize he is making up 90% of the things he says.
It was a slow day at work.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
No, you gave a bad example using x and y. You had ill defined terms, and no curves.

At price Y, my demand will be for x units--irregardless of the supply of same. At price 3Y, my demand will drop to 1/3x ...and I might not even purchase it at all.

Let's say, for example the PRICE of a national brand of soda, like Pepsi, is 3 times the amount of the generic equivalent. Do you think I'm going to buy the national brand, irregardless of what it's supply might be? My demand for the national brand will be nonexistent, regardless of how plentiful the supply is.

I'll buy the generic.

And I'm not the only one doing so. But apparently, not enough people are doing so to make Pepsi lower it's price any. Instead, they chose to play tricks like decreasing the size of the case, to make people think they'd gotten a good deal for a change.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
At price Y, my demand will be for x units--irregardless of the supply of same. At price 3Y, my demand will drop to 1/3x ...and I might not even purchase it at all.

Let's say, for example the PRICE of a national brand of soda, like Pepsi, is 3 times the amount of the generic equivalent. Do you think I'm going to buy the national brand, irregardless of what it's supply might be? My demand for the national brand will be nonexistent, regardless of how plentiful the supply is.

I'll buy the generic.

And I'm not the only one doing so. But apparently, not enough people are doing so to make Pepsi lower it's price any. Instead, they chose to play tricks like decreasing the size of the case, to make people think they'd gotten a good deal for a change.
As soon as you wrote the statement I put in bold your concept is wrong. Price does not change demand. Demand and supply control price and quantity.

The price P of a product is determined by a balance between production at each price (supply S) and the desires of those with purchasing power at each price (demand D). 2, along with a consequent increase in price (P) and quantity sold (Q) of the product.

Also "irregardless" is not a word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies