Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:37 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,098,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
My company just gives us a base line "Paid time off".

We used to have a seperate PTO, vacation, and sick leave, but they just wrapped it all up under one umbrella.

I think companies should give everyone at least one week a year of sick time, paid. It makes for a healtier work force, and its a good societal move because you don't have sick people coming to work, spreading the disease.
Yes, most companies are going to PTO because it's really none of their business why an employee takes time off....the REAL reason is because they're HUMAN, a fact some here want to ignore.
Paid time off should be mandatory.....unions and others fought extremely hard to get these kinds of HUMANE benefits for workers. ...it would be a shame to regress back 100 years in such a "great" country....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 04:58 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,556,035 times
Most places I've worked didn't offer paid sick days. You didn't come into work because you were sick, fine, but you're not getting paid for NOT working. It would have to be pretty serious for me NOT to come in. Like...my leg is in a cast, I can't walk.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:08 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,322,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Most places I've worked didn't offer paid sick days. You didn't come into work because you were sick, fine, but you're not getting paid for NOT working. It would have to be pretty serious for me NOT to come in. Like...my leg is in a cast, I can't walk.
So here is an example for you.

You're sick, with flu like symptoms. You aren't feel that bad, it was worse on Sunday, so you come to work on Monday.

While you're at work, your symptoms flare back up, a little. A little fever, but nothing tylenol won't fix.

You stay at work, and then go home. The next day you feel great. However one of your close coleagues isn't at work, because he called in sick. He stays out for a week. Would you start to worry? Would you feel bad?

Come to find out, he got over the flu that you probably gave him, but his child got sick and died from that flu.

Do you feel bad now, was it worth the 100 bucks you made that day to kill your co-workers kid?

Or should your employer have been a good citizen, told you to stay home, and prevent the spread of a disease that can be deadly?

Old 09-30-2009, 05:16 AM

Quote:

You're sick, with flu like symptoms. You aren't feel that bad, it was worse on Sunday, so you come to work on Monday.

While you're at work, your symptoms flare back up, a little. A little fever, but nothing tylenol won't fix.

You stay at work, and then go home. The next day you feel great. However one of your close coleagues isn't at work, because he called in sick. He stays out for a week. Would you start to worry? Would you feel bad?

Come to find out, he got over the flu that you probably gave him,"""

OH, c'mon!

""" but his child got sick and died from that flu.

Do you feel bad now, was it worth the 100 bucks you made that day to kill your co-workers kid?

Or should your employer have been a good citizen, told you to stay home, and prevent the spread of a disease that can be deadly?
While your argument that somebody killed their co-worker's kid is ridiculous...not spreading disease is a good argument for employers to provide Paid Time Off.

Sick people should stay home....but if they don't get paid for that time off they SHOULD come to work....there are not that many people who can afford to take days off without pay.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:

Come to find out, he got over the flu that you probably gave him, but his child got sick and died from that flu.

The only part that I would care about? Is that my coworker took a week off which put HIS share of the work on everyone else. And made it that much harder on everyone else getting their jobs done. Lazy b*stard.

We've got a guy that's been out over two months with bad knees. I keep telling everyone that he's not COMING back. They keep hoping. The company should cut their losses with the guy and hire someone that can do the job. Let him go with his medical problems. They do ask when they hire you if you can meet the physical requirements of the job.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
The only part that I would care about? Is that my coworker took a week off which put HIS share of the work on everyone else. And made it that much harder on everyone else getting their jobs done. Lazy b*stard.

We've got a guy that's been out over two months with bad knees. I keep telling everyone that he's not COMING back. They keep hoping. The company should cut their losses with the guy and hire someone that can do the job. Let him go with his medical problems. They do ask when they hire you if you can meet the physical requirements of the job.
Yes, at the time they hire you they ask if you can meet the physical requirements of the job...however, employees being mere HUMANS, are subject to sickness, accident and disease...it happens to EVERYONE at some time or other.

So you think anyone who gets sick or injured should be fired....then they lose their health care insurance, then they go broke, then they lose their homes...and this benefits America how?????

Old 09-30-2009, 05:39 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,950,827 times
Quote:

How old are you and how long have you been in the job market?

Old 09-30-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
How old are you and how long have you been in the job market?
If you take off my time in the military, I've basically been working since the age of 15, and I'm turning 39 next month.

You want a sick day? Go ahead, take it. But you shouldn't be paid for not working. You want a vacation? Unpaid vacation is perfectly suitable.

But if you cannot DO the job, because you have "bad knees", from the get-go--then you should be fired and replaced by someone who CAN do the job. If the company is feeling generous, you can laterally transfer into some type of work that you CAN do, but your coworkers should not be punished because you are unable to do the job expected of you.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:49 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,950,827 times
Quote:
If you take off my time in the military, I've basically been working since the age of 15, and I'm turning 39 next month.

You want a sick day? Go ahead, take it. But you shouldn't be paid for not working. You want a vacation? Unpaid vacation is perfectly suitable.

But if you cannot DO the job, because you have "bad knees", from the get-go--then you should be fired and replaced by someone who CAN do the job. If the company is feeling generous, you can laterally transfer into some type of work that you CAN do, but your coworkers should not be punished because you are unable to do the job expected of you.
Debate has to be based on reality and facts along with opinions.
Unfortunately you are so far out there I don't believe the reality of the human body and it's strengths and weakeness, would help you understand the error of your rationale.

Good Luck have a good life.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:57 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,821,532 times
Why should your employer bear the cost for your sickness?

What is the rationale behind this idea?
Is it that your employer is richer than you and can afford it?

I am not arguing against paid days off simply trying to find the rationale behind an employer paying for you not to work.

The current job I have is the first to offer vacation,personal days and a retirement plan...and health insurance.

Of course it does all this because the pay is awful,my chances of advancement rest upon one of my co-workers leaving and the work is dull and unfulfilling....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies