Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Texting or gabbing while driving
You gab and text away, you know it's wrong and that it changes your driving 2 2.74%
You gab and text away and it does not change your driving 4 5.48%
You would never answer your phone while driving 15 20.55%
You peak at the caller ID and only pick up if it's important 16 21.92%
You wish you could carry a cell phone jammer and point it at the gabers and texters 41 56.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 08:09 AM

78,398 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

It is RARE that I use my cell phone at all when driving. If I have to, I keep it short and sweet and stick to my lane etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 08:13 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
One may think texting doesn't change their driving, but there's no way it doesn't.

Even talking on the phone with a hands-free system is a distraction; I've caught myself veering when fussing with the earpiece or the cord. I do it as little as possible; usually only when I'm on a rural interstate.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:06 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,570 times
texting - not that much, if I do I keep it short, it's hard, I think it's suppose to be illegal soon. talking- all the time, I'm on the road a lot

Old 10-02-2009, 02:42 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
I don't text while driving, but I do talk while driving.

I use a hands free device, its just like talking to a passenger in the car. I never have to look or pick up my phone to answer or hangup.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:12 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,999,039 times
Maryland just passed a law making it illegal to text and drive. The language of the bill is weak, it says you can see a text and send a text but not type a text while driving. I doubt this is going to stand up well in court when it comes to being fined for the offense.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:30 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I watched a documentary on texting and gabbing while driving. We all know it's dangerous but one thing the study showed is when a persons phone rang, after it was picked up the drivers average speed dropped 20%. I always wondered why you would be following someone at 70MPH and all of a sudden their speed dropped to 55.

Everyone knows texting and gabbing is just not safe. Yet most people continue to do it.

Just wondering all your thoughts on your own bad habbits with talking or texting while driving. I wonder how many will even admit they do it.

Go for it............
That is the most dangerous thing. These morons slow down forcing everyone behind them to change lanes to pass them. Someone else gets in an accident and they go on their way as out of touch with reality as ever.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:20 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
That is the most dangerous thing. These morons slow down forcing everyone behind them to change lanes to pass them. Someone else gets in an accident and they go on their way as out of touch with reality as ever.
Yes exactly. As the texters slow down then everyone else struggles to get around them causing potential for a mass bang up derby.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:55 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,139,204 times
Here is a good idea. There should be a phone number you can call or a web site you can reach to turn in the tag number of any car being driven with a person using the phone/texting. Then after several reports of the same car the INSURANCE COMPANY covering that car can raise their rates. That would stop it. After being reported maybe 10 times the cost will go up 1000% and they can only blame themselves...Of course the insurance companys would verify that the reports are not pranks. I would love to see some 16 year old girl who just has to text and drive suddenly look at insurance cost of 4 or 5 thousand bucks a year.......Daddy cant afford that..LOL

Old 10-02-2009, 10:03 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,586 times
Here's an idea:

For those who insist on driving on the expressway with phone in hand, cigarette, egg muffiin, lipstick, razor, bong whatever going simultaneously and causing swerving, great variances in speed and significant consternation/safety concerns among your fellow motorists:

Does anyone remember those magnetic flags from the funeral homes that said "FUNERAL?" How about we get to apply said flags to the vehicles of the preivously mentioned miscreants, but instead of "FUNERAL," they say "I AM A MORON?"

Old 10-02-2009, 10:15 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
You forgot digging in your purse for a pen while holding on to the phone with your shoulder trying to write a grocery list on the back of your hand while driving.

who me????? Never!

Anyway, it's pretty embarassing to be driving along in the FAST LANE while trying to do the above, and looking in your rear view mirror only to see the faces of the drivers in four or five cars behind you looking might ticked off. Then looking at your speedometer and seeing that you are going 30 miles per hour in a 55 mile speed limit. Yikes.

I haven't had anyone blow their horn at me yet (a testament to how polite Missouri folks are), but I've gotten some mighty dirty looks.

Every day I swear I won't do it ever again, but I do.

So shoot me.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies