Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 03:19 PM

26,204 posts, read 48,994,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Look around folks..this IS the new America.
New only in the sense that we are being made aware of these matters. It's been this way all along, only now we hear about in the media. It's always been there despite everyone's wishful thinking that the good old days were all that good.

The political twist to all this is that religious right and the GOP became strange bedfellows back in the 1980s with a major party plank of "family values" and virtue of a biblical nature. For the past ten years we've been uncovering one sex scandal after another in the GOP, to the extent that family values is no longer a valid party plank. For this reason, any sex scandal now makes a big headline splash, no matter if the person is a politician or showbiz type.

America is now getting used to 2 inconvenient truths: men & women have sex & lots of it; and it always has been that way.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

4,011 posts, read 4,423,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
I note that some of the same people who smear rush and hannity defend letterman. Since when do non-politicians like rush and hannity have to answer to anybody? Why did the white house today go on the offensive over a non-politician like hannity?

Chirp chirp.
Lying political commentators are not the same as late-night show comedians. I'm surprised you don't understand that.

5,391 posts, read 7,224,549 times
Quote:
How ironic that there are numerous comments about limbaugh's drug use despite the fact that he is no more a politician than letterman.
Not ironic at all.

Limbaugh has condemned illegal drug use. He's spoken against drug legalization. He's called drug use abhorrent. So when it was discovered he was addicted to pain medication, it was considered hypocritical - condemning in others what he himself was doing. (Personally, I hope it was a humbling lesson for him - that people can become addicts without being scum of the earth. I don't hold his addiction against him and hope he got help).

Letterman, on the other hand, wasn't condemning people. He used contemporary topics, things in the news, to make fun of. Whether is was a celebrity's odd behavior, a dumb statement by someone to the press, or in Palin's case, the fact Bristol got pregnant and the mom's a big abstinence-only advocate. I don't think he said Bristol, or Monica Lewinsky, were abhorrent people, or dregs of society. He didn't go on a campaign against unmarried sex. He didn't tell other people how to live their lives. He poked fun. Most people don't like to be the butt of a joke, however, so some people took it harder than others (like Madonna, Richard Simmons, and Sarah Palin).

Condemning and teasing are different, in my book.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:23 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,065,342 times
Quote:
I'm sure millions of Americans would disagree with you. Is cheating on your fiancée any less hurtful to her than cheating on her when you are married? If your girlfriend of 20 years was cheating on you with multiple men would you ignore it because you were not married?
Now I'm quite sure millions of Americans would agree that Letterman doing this:

Quote:
Letterman admits affairs, claims extortion - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_tv_letterman_extortion - broken link)
Guess he better issue an apology to the Gov. of South Carolina.
would be RETARDED. Considering that:

1. The Governor of the State of South Carolina IS A PUBLIC OFFICIAL WHO MISUSED STATE TAXPAYER FUNDS

2. Letterman is a PRIVATE CITIZEN
3. The Governor was MARRIED AND HAD GROWN KIDS

4. Letterman wasn't MARRIED AND HAD NO KIDS

Look.. I don't agree with what Letterman did.. However, this visceral response from the "I love Jesus Ya'll" Republican Right against him is ridiculous.

The only person Letterman needs to apologize to.. is his wife..

Old 10-02-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I note that some of the same people who smear rush and hannity defend letterman. Since when do non-politicians like rush and hannity have to answer to anybody? Why did the white house today go on the offensive over a non-politician like hannity?

Chirp chirp.
Letterman is a COMEDIAN.

Rush and Hannity have an audience that actually believe that what they say.. is true... when it is quite the opposite.

Wait.. are you saying Rush and Hannity should be viewed as comical?

If so then we totally agree..

Old 10-02-2009, 03:26 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,581,593 times
Letterman's blackmail scandal boosts ratings 22%

October 2, 2009 | [SIZE=5]11:03[/SIZE] am
The blackmail scandal is already having a beneficial effect on David Letterman's ratings.
On Thursday, numbers for "Late Show with David Letterman" surged 22% based on preliminary estimates, according to the Nielsen Company. Letterman spent part of the program discussing a recent $2-million blackmail attempt and admitted that he had had affairs with female staffers on his show.
The program scored a 4.4 rating/12 share in household "overnight" numbers, handily beating "Late Show's" 3.6 rating/9 share so far this season. (Complete numbers, including total-viewer figures, will not be available until later.)
However, the Thursday show did not come close to a record. On Sept. 21, with President Obama as the sole guest, "Late Show" delivered a 5.6 rating/14 share. And when Oprah Winfrey appeared Dec. 1, 2005, the program hit an all-time high of a 10.1 rating/24 share.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:28 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,681,693 times
Quote:
Letterman admits affairs, claims extortion - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_tv_letterman_extortion - broken link)

Well, well. David Letterman moves up to the big leagues. Guess he better issue an apology to the Gov. of South Carolina. He hammered away at him a few months ago.
Extortion isn't a Crime?

Old 10-02-2009, 03:28 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,306,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Letterman is a COMEDIAN.

Rush and Hannity have an audience that actually believe that what they say.. is true... when it is quite the opposite.

Wait.. are you saying Rush and Hannity should be viewed as comical?

If so then we totally agree..
I guess we agree because I view them both as entertainers and nothing more. Hannity is kinda funny if you ever really listen to him.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:30 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,109,806 times
Quote:
At a minimum he will answer to mrs. Letterman.
There was no Mrs. Letterman when this relationship was happening! Single, a bachelor, unmarried, playing the field, unattached!

Old 10-02-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I guess we agree because I view them both as entertainers and nothing more. Hannity is kinda funny if you ever really listen to him.
Hey I'll take it..

you find them entertaining in the best sense of the word

I find them comical in the worst sense of the word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies