Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Yes 22 28.95%
No 54 71.05%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:22 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,900,516 times

Advertisements

All humans go through good and bad cycles. Athiests can develop a philosophy that sees them through the rough times, and religious/Spiritual people can rely on trust/love/respect/connection in the energy they see/feel/ relate to as God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 07:25 PM

294 posts, read 412,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Whats your take?
don't worry about it be happy

Old 10-02-2009, 07:31 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I think there are fundamentalists on both sides. But about religious people being happier? I don't know, as I've never personally known any out and out atheists. I do get the impression (from reading forums) that most atheists don't like religious people though. Not saying that's the case, but that's my impression.
There are militants on both sides for sure. Any loud and proud atheists you meet are the flip side of the bible thumpers of the religious ring. Neither are desirable, but necessary to their own individual causes I suppose.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:33 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
OK, I'll dial in. Happiness is a state of mind, not a religous affiliation.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:38 PM

754 posts, read 1,922,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
I think that both can be happy but most of the non-religious people I know are very nasty to people who do not agree with them.

Unfortunately, I have found that to be true.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:21 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Whats your take?
Nope, people are a whole lot more complicated than that...the poll is too simplistic and makes no sense.

I'm an atheist, (more of an "I don't carist")I am happy. Does that mean ALL atheists are happy? No.

I know some very cranky nasty believers. Does that mean they all are mean and unhappy....no.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:28 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,215,924 times
Happiness is probably the wrong metric.

Atheists are more satisfied with living in the world, I'd say. They are not looking for some fairy being's approval. They are not worried about death and are not motivated to follow some of the sillier rules that the religious folks are motivated to follow.

The one thing that religious types have going for them, if they are practicing, is a ready-made social network of like believers - that can add to happiness. But, forming social networks isn't hard for most people.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:04 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
Nope. Some of the most unhappy and uptight people I've met were religious and some of the most fulfilled and happy people I've met were either agnostic or atheist.

Me? I'm much happier now that I've shed the ancient mysticism of sun worship that most people these days don't want to admit that that is what we do.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:32 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Point taken. I see many people who are religious who are happy, many who are semi-religious who are happy, many who believe in some sort of spirit that are happy & then people like me who don't believe at all but I'm happy. I don't think having a religion is a guarantee to making you happy or vice versa. I know some would like to believe that but it's not true.
I don't depend on what I practice in the form of religion to make me happy. I don't ask anyone else to either. What I believe, it compliments my life. What I personally believe in, is not an overwhelming "live by the book" thing.

I've seen too many needy "types" turn full force to religion when they are in need of something or something goes bad in their life.

I don't buy into the convenience of that at all.

But, I do, however, give leeway to those who live die and breathe their religion...as long as the stay out of politics. Meaning that they don't fly planes into buildings or strap bombs to their bodies and explode themselves among innocents. Heck, even lesser that that, I have no tolerance for the "highly religious" who try to take over communities or flock like geese around/ hide their little religious drunk of the day who smashed his car into a stop sign/wall/building or stabbed/shot someone.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:46 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,299 times
Atheists are self centered people who tend to do just fine as long as their world is not upset by religious folks.

Religious people are not as concerned about their world as much as Atheists
and tend to get involved in programs to help others, including feeding the hungry.

If I were in need of something I would definately depend more on a religious person than an Atheist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies