Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 12:32 AM

858 posts, read 1,497,656 times

Advertisements

I personally think this bill is ridiculous and will devastate the town of Moab. By them trying to ban all mechanized access to 9.4 MILLION acres it will dry up Moab's economy. If you aren't sure what mechanized access mean, it is all OHV AND mountain biking! I am an avid offroad enthusiast and Moab is a mecca for offroading. We OHV users bring so much money into that town. Without us and the mountain bikers, Moab will be destined to become another ghost town.

Just so you know, 9.4 millions acres equates to more than 40%! of Utah' land. Also, NONE of Utah's congressman are supporting this bill.

H.R. 1925: America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009 (GovTrack.us)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 12:50 AM

430 posts, read 1,309,735 times
I don't get that from reading it. Seems it refers to mapping, setbacks for roads, water rights, and livestock grazing.

Didn't see anything about vehicles, etc...

Is there a better source for understand what this bill will actually do?

Old 10-02-2009, 12:55 AM

I watched the meeting live today and it was nothing but an argument over OHV and all mechanized access. They are trying to shut this land down to everything but foot traffic.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:02 AM

Some more info...

Moab Might Be Gone Forever! | Miscellaneous Blog & Opinions at 4Wheel & Off Road Magazine

Old 10-02-2009, 09:40 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,950,999 times
Maybe I'm missing something. because the Department of the Interior doesn't need a piece of legislation to exclude vehicles from any portion of Federal Lands, they can do it administratively any time they like.

Justia :: 43 C.F.R. PART 8340—OFF-ROAD VEHICLES

Old 10-02-2009, 09:43 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,872,157 times
Where I live, in Sedona, mountain bikers are a real danger to regular hikers on our trails. They ride too fast when they cannot see who is round the corner and show scant regard for others. I would support banning them altogether.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:48 AM

13,139 posts, read 22,742,546 times
I don't understand why some people in my state think they should have the right to leave tire tracks across every square inch of the land. EVERYWHERE that has become popular with ORVs in the state has been thoroughly trashed. Previously beautiful landscapes in Moab are now destroyed and full of trash. It's public land... some people don't mind living with a yard full of weeds, beer cans and dead pickups, but the rest of us do.

The land wont be closed to all access; get out and walk that beer belly off. Horray for wilderness, it keeps the loosers out of the backcountry!

Old 10-02-2009, 09:50 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,872,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I don't understand why some people in my state think they should have the right to leave tire tracks across every square inch of the land. EVERYWHERE that has become popular with ORVs in the state has been thoroughly trashed. Previously beautiful landscapes in Moab are now destroyed and full of trash. It's public land... some people don't mind living with a yard full of weeds, beer cans and dead pickups, but the rest of us do.

The land wont be closed to all access; get out and walk that beer belly off. Horray for wilderness, it keeps the loosers out of the backcountry!
What he said

Old 10-02-2009, 09:52 AM

27,625 posts, read 21,056,057 times
I don't think anything that is desiganted as wilderness should have motorized and other vehicles, as then it is not really wilderness. Unless an emergency vehicle needs access, what is the big deal? After viewing The National Parks documentary that has been airing on PBS lately, you feel very grateful for the few that stepped forward to fight for and guarantee open and pristine spaces for all Americans to enjoy. There is so little left that has not been trashed and polluted for the sake of entertainment, that anything that can be protected and preserved is well worth the effort. Let the bikers start rock climbing instead.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:53 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,403,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Where I live, in Sedona, mountain bikers are a real danger to regular hikers on our trails. They ride too fast when they cannot see who is round the corner and show scant regard for others. I would support banning them altogether.
Now, now. Be nice, play fair. Oh, I forgot that's not something that liberals can do. I'll be sure to ride my bike in a safe courteous manner as I always have; but that's something that this sniveling minority will never admit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies