Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 12:16 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I think she should have thought about it before hand. I think it is a pretty rotten thing to do, as for the most part, environment is more important than genetics, unless the child has very poor genetics.
I guess you missed the part about them going thru screening and all that? You don't adopt someone on a whim....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 01:02 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Love is a choice not a feeling. Seems this lady needs to learn this point.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:04 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Love is a choice not a feeling. Seems this lady needs to learn this point.
She learned what her limits were. That's good enough. She didn't have to go public with any of this but the truth is she isn't alone here, it happens.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
This woman has about 3 or 4 of her OWN kids! Why the hell is she trying to get somebody else's kid? And why in God's name are they giving her a black kid? It should go to a black parent(s)! The kid might be a baby but even he can tell "hey something ain't right here".
Race should not matter in adoptions and too many black children are being limited if agencies are focusing on placing them in only black homes. I know personally of two successful interacial adoptions: one black child/white mother and one white child/black parents. Love knows no racial boundaries.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
It sure as hell IS a racial issue! They should not be handing black infants out to white parents. When was the last time you saw a black family with a white infant?
*Raises her hand* I am white and my adoptive family is black.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
My black uncle and aunt adopted a white child from Germany. It happens. I think it's ridiculous to say that black infants can only be adopted by black people. I would rather see these children adopted into a home of any color than stay in foster care until they turn 18.
AMEN! We need to put aside these antiquated beliefs about race and allow more parents the ability to adopt, especially as folks are saying that black children are not being adopted at the rate that white children are.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:32 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
*Raises her hand* I am white and my adoptive family is black.
Were you adopted as an infant? If so, please stand up and write a book and go on Oprah because YOU are the ONLY case I have ever heard of.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Were you adopted as an infant? If so, please stand up and write a book and go on Oprah because YOU are the ONLY case I have ever heard of.
Adopted at 8-months. I believe another poster mentioned that his/her black relatives adopted a white child so I'm not the only case.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
There is a special spot in hell for people like this
I've heard of this happening before, regardless of race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Really, there's a lot of demand for African-American kids? Interesting.

I know in some of the African-American magazines I read there has been talk about the need for more African-American foster parents and that it's hard to get African-American children adopted (especially the older ones).

I definitely commend those who want to adopt. So many people obsess over having "their own child" or someone with "their blood." We have lots of kids in the world already here that need kids yet people want to spend thousands on fertility treatments.

While I wouldn't call her crazy, she has my respect for doing the right thing.
There are people who want to be parents so badly, they are willilng to adopt a child of any race. It was quite popular here in the US to adopt Korean children for a while, but the Korean government started discouraging these adoptions. Ditto China. Many people now go to Guatemala to adopt kids.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:36 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I guess you missed the part about them going thru screening and all that? You don't adopt someone on a whim....

No, I got that. It appears as though the parent, depsite the screening, was not prepared themselves and should have been more honest with themselves. I think that anyone can fudge a series of questions, but it is hard to lie to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies