Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 02:55 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,699,990 times

Advertisements

This thread's pretty hilarious.

The far extremists entrenched on both sides of partisan ideology couldn't let one thread go without slinging mud (like the thinly-veiled bigotry of using the name 'hussein obama' in a perjorative manner) and debating the issues rather than talking about the means of debate (which is what this thread is about).

Pretty sad. This forum really is out of control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 02:57 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,685,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
This thread's pretty hilarious.

The far extremists entrenched on both sides of partisan ideology couldn't let one thread go without slinging mud (like the thinly-veiled bigotry of using the name 'hussein obama' in a perjorative manner) and debating the issues rather than talking about the means of debate (which is what this thread is about).

Pretty sad. This forum really is out of control.
Im glad somebody else sees the absurdity of some of the regular posters. It is sad.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:58 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,339,457 times
I'm always amused whenever someone starts a political thread with the subject of, "can we all just get along", or "can we just be adults?" Politics is not rocket science where scientific data can be offered in support of a theory and it certainly is not a high school debate class guided by a politically correct teacher. Political debate is more akin to World Wide Wrestling, i.e., whoever can make the jump off the top rope look the most realistic wins the argument.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:11 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,685,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I'm always amused whenever someone starts a political thread with the subject of, "can we all just get along", or "can we just be adults?" Politics is not rocket science where scientific data can be offered in support of a theory and it certainly is not a high school debate class guided by a politically correct teacher. Political debate is more akin to World Wide Wrestling, i.e., whoever can make the jump off the top rope look the most realistic wins the argument.
Debate on topics IS based on facts and logical debate. Those of us mature enough to understand how important it is as a nation to embrace these qualities look for the oppurtunity.

Those of use more interested in meaningless "winning", dont.

By the way... what did you win? Whats the prize. A failing country. Good job!

Old 10-02-2009, 03:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,699,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
While I would argue that it's only a primitive species that insists on debating its politics in the manner we do, your metaphor of who can make the jump off the top rope look most realistic is pretty damn accurate.

That cracked me up. Well done.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:50 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,239,912 times
I rarely find a productive debate on the political forums. I don't even think I can use the word debate. Now, if I want great debates or productive and engaging conversations, I go to the fianace section. Entertainment? I go to Politics.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:50 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
From somebody that agrees with most of your positions.

Classiness and objectivity always wins. Always.

You may disagree but after seeing and researching hussein obama and his ilk, I wondered what drove them. They all seem to play the same game and is was clear after coming across The Rules for radicals. The only way to put a kink in their program of harassment, intimidation and name calling is to turn their game back on them. You know what they say "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:54 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I rarely find a productive debate on the political forums. I don't even think I can use the word debate. Now, if I want great debates or productive and engaging conversations, I go to the fianace section. Entertainment? I go to Politics.
It's not just here. You should go read the "Are white cabinets ever stylish?" thread in the home decorating forum. Sheesh!

Old 10-02-2009, 03:59 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times
Quote:
libertarian, I am astounded by how degrading this forum has gotten since President Obama was elected. The partisan split, and overall immature and juvinile nature of many of the people here, is really quite disturbing.

I am pretty vocal about my believes, and stand behind the positions that I take, but rarely do I stoop to levels as immature and childish a some of the posters here. This country is FOUNDED on the principles of two opposing viewpoints providing checks and balances to each other to find a moderate position. The concepts of this country, a country I in no way doubt you all love, would crumble to pieces if the balance provided by differing opinions was discarded.

For everybody, those that I typically agree with, as well as some of those I seldom do, why can't we have discussions and debates without the immaturity? Chicago lost the Olympics, and I see a whole bunch of "ha! Obama is an idiot for going there", and a host of other examples which are on par with the reaction that children have when one has a candy bar and the other does not.

I have decieded to take a stand to raise the level of maturity on this forum, yet this isn't the reason for my post. I want to encourage all of you to help make this forum something interesting and knowledgeable by not responding to baiters or flamers, by ignoring those more interested in partisan non-sense than to even try and understand opposing view points, and to overall be an example to make this forum what we all want it to be... logical debate.

I am sure this post will get flamed. Don't worry, it will probably just be the same people who bring this forum down to a 8 year old level. There are some real rational and logical people here, lets focus on those logical and focused debate. Getting off my soap box now. I hope that through ignoring and calling out partisan hacks, we can make this forum more enjoyable and educational for all.
The partisan bickering drove me off these threads for a long time. I happened to go in today to see the reaction to the Chicago Olympics thing and it was pretty typical unfortunately. I wish more people would take a more moderate or non-partisan approach to things but it just doesn't happen for whatever reason.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:36 PM

480 posts, read 877,795 times
Quote:
Ok, seriously, where is that ignore button?
Click on your user name in upper right-hand corner.

On your profile page, click on "My Settings."

On the left-hand column, under "Settings & Options," click on "Edit Ignore List."

Then type the user name of the person you want to ignore in the box under "Add a Member to Your List," and click OK.

I find it helps to have a second window open. As I'm reading threads and come across a completely unreasonable person who just posts the same comments ad nauseum, I then switch to the other (Ignore) window and type their user name into that beautiful box.

Then when a person you've chosen to ignore posts on a thread you're reading, there will be a notice something to the effect that "This message is hidden because ___ is on your ignore list." If you still want to read the comment, you can click on "View Post" in the top right corner of the post, but the person will still be on your Ignore List unless you click on "Remove user from your ignore list."

Ignoring certain people has worked wonders for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies