Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 07:07 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times

Advertisements

You can attack Moore all you want but you cannot attack the content of his films because he is spot on the facts with everything he says. 100% correct. And that is what bothers the conservatives so much.
Moore has a worth of about 50 million- not 100 million. He did not get it by robbing the working folks and he doesn't ***** about paying taxes on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 07:17 AM

88 posts, read 143,367 times
Those of you Michael Moore fans and Obama fans... How many of you actually studied finance or economics? I'm not talking about just a single class 20 years ago in high school.

I won't see this movie. I don't have to see it to know Michael Moore is feeding a bunch of one-sided propoganda. The guy is full of it, and I won't waste my time or money on him.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:18 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I did not vote for Bush his second term. I did not vote for either of the 2 candidates that ran this time around. I am not a dumb sheep. And you voted for Hope and Change? I know most cringe when they admit that they did but it is okay you can admit it.
LOL! That's just a spin on """"(Now, this is where you say you're not a Republican and voted Independent/Libertarian/Agrarian/Mesopotamian....anything but for the repubs..."""" (and now you're dragging in Bush(???))

Ya, I know ...er...the ..uh...Not-Democrats hate any hope or change from the lovely condition Bush left this country in.....but most real Americans believe in hope and change and work towards it....like Moore....others.

Isn't it nice that in the US people like you can choose to stagnate and/or just watch as the US collapses...but you DO have hope...you HOPE Obama fails and don't give a damn about the US...as long as he fails....

Old 10-03-2009, 07:32 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
LOL! That's just a spin on """"(Now, this is where you say you're not a Republican and voted Independent/Libertarian/Agrarian/Mesopotamian....anything but for the repubs..."""" (and now you're dragging in Bush(???))

Ya, I know ...er...the ..uh...Not-Democrats hate any hope or change from the lovely condition Bush left this country in.....but most real Americans believe in hope and change and work towards it....like Moore....others.

Isn't it nice that in the US people like you can choose to stagnate and/or just watch as the US collapses...but you DO have hope...you HOPE Obama fails and don't give a damn about the US...as long as he fails....
My only hope is that people wise up and stop voting for more of the same every 4 years. Unfortunately it is about as possible as the politicians doing the right thing instead of furthering their own cause or the sheep waking up from their stupor.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:36 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
Those of you Michael Moore fans and Obama fans... How many of you actually studied finance or economics? I'm not talking about just a single class 20 years ago in high school.

I won't see this movie. I don't have to see it to know Michael Moore is feeding a bunch of one-sided propoganda. The guy is full of it, and I won't waste my time or money on him.
We don't need to study economics. We know what is going on. People know when they are being robbed. For many decades- from the 40s through the 70s the economy in this nation worked pretty damn well for most of the people in it. If you followed the rules (finish school, don't get taken by drugs or alcohol and don't have a baby at 15), you could do fairly decent. My father raised a family of 7 on a blue collar salary from Boeing. You didn't have the robber barron class making billions at the expense of the working people. You didn't have the top 5% hoarding 50+% of the imcome. This is what people should be angry as hell about but they would rather gripe about Obama and health care. Stupid fools.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
We don't need to study economics. We know what is going on. People know when they are being robbed. For many decades- from the 40s through the 70s the economy in this nation worked pretty damn well for most of the people in it. If you followed the rules (finish school, don't get taken by drugs or alcohol and don't have a baby at 15), you could do fairly decent. My father raised a family of 7 on a blue collar salary from Boeing. You didn't have the robber barron class making billions at the expense of the working people. You didn't have the top 5% hoarding 50+% of the imcome. This is what people should be angry as hell about but they would rather gripe about Obama and health care. Stupid fools.
We have driven our base, manufacturing form our shores through over-regulation and taxation. It is just a fact. There is no real middle class anymore. I am old enough to remember when middle class families had fathers that worked at gas stations, banks, stores, etc.. They lived in middle class suburbia. We are becoming a nation of service industries that pay very little. There is plenty of blame to go around but it is just what happened and there is not going back. Leave it to Beaver is long gone.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Good God. No offense, but your statement about "We don't need to study economics" is exactly what's wrong with this country.

Check out the Commanding Heights PBS video at your local library (or find it online - you can read the transcript of the video). It's a very understandable history of economics in the 20th century for the economic layperson. You might be surprised that the 40's-70's wasn't the greatest thing that we think it was. When did we really see phenomenal economic growth? It was after we gave Keynesian economics the heave-ho.

I'm not angry about a few people having a lot more money than others. That's how life is. It's not fair. Some people are smarter, work harder, have better natural talent, etc. and will rise to the top. I'd rather have that than a system where everyone is about the same in earnings potential.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
We have driven our base, manufacturing form our shores through over-regulation and taxation. It is just a fact. There is no real middle class anymore. I am old enough to remember when middle class families had fathers that worked at gas stations, banks, stores, etc.. They lived in middle class suburbia. We are becoming a nation of service industries that pay very little. There is plenty of blame to go around but it is just what happened and there is not going back. Leave it to Beaver is long gone.
Have you heard of primary, secondary, tertiary sectors of the economy? Or that as an economy develops, it gets further away from things like manufacturing and the vast majority of population will be employed in more service-related jobs (the tertiary sector)?

There is a clear misunderstanding of service industries here... It's not just McDonald's and cash register attendants. Service industry comprises things like health care, pharmaceutical research, real estate, entertainment, financial services and banking, mechanics working on your car, plumbing, attorneys, teachers, economists, energy, etc.

I say thank God the days of Leave it to Beaver are over. We're much better off, on the whole, than we were then. For instance, we wouldn't even be having this discussion on a computer.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
Have you heard of primary, secondary, tertiary sectors of the economy? Or that as an economy develops, it gets further away from things like manufacturing and the vast majority of population will be employed in more service-related jobs (the tertiary sector)?

There is a clear misunderstanding of service industries here... It's not just McDonald's and cash register attendants. Service industry comprises things like health care, pharmaceutical research, real estate, entertainment, financial services and banking, mechanics working on your car, plumbing, attorneys, teachers, economists, energy, etc.

I say thank God the days of Leave it to Beaver are over. We're much better off, on the whole, than we were then. For instance, we wouldn't even be having this discussion on a computer.
I am aware of what you are talking about. I was more referring to single income families, working 30 years with 1 employer and collecting a pension/retirement. It is much more difficult for familes to make it today and pass on their wealth to their children.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:12 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
While Moore has a track record of supporting ideas considered un-American he certainly has the right to express his views. I am curious as to the content of his movie, but since I started a boycott of movies in the 80's it is unlikely I will see it in a theater. Perhaps someone will share it with me, and I will get a view of it to determine its quality. Anything that wakes up and enrages the American public about how they have been scammed is a good thing. This even if the producer is not 100% of good character.
Considered unAmerican by whom?

100% of good character, lol. Safe to guess you dont listen to the radio, read newspapers, read books or watch television either?

The bolded sentence -- have you ever seen even one of his movies? All his movies do that, it's why he makes them....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies