Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:47 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy268 View Post
I expect these weapons to be used to threaten our cites as well as Israel. This sort of nuclear blackmail has been discussed for decades, but is now becoming a reality.
Mutually Assured Destruction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 12:25 PM

183 posts, read 114,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Do you work for a telcom company?

I do. I know what the federal government was asking of us. They wanted unfettered access to all phone calls, no questions asked.

Two companies gave in

Verizon, and AT&T. Sprint and T-mobile did not, we said give us a warrent and you can have all of the information you want.

And as someone who has served, I damn well want everyone who is captured by my country, to be treated with the same dignity and respect that every American enjoys.

Thomas Jefferson didn't say "Americans were created equal" it was ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL. We all have rights endowed on us by our creator. It doesn't matter if its a child rapist, a Islamic Jihadist, or a Christian fundamentalist that bombs an abortion clinic. They all deserve a trial, they all deserve to be treated like humans, and we can't hold the moral high ground and beat and torture other folks ourselves.

I have never been so ashamed of the things that happened on my behalf by my government as I was over the past 5 or 6 years.

Moral high ground? Are you aware the Obama administration uses rendition?

Jefferson also wrote...

"...that among these are life, liberty and the pusuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness."

My life, my liberty and my pursuit of happiness are being threatened and restricted by an internal enemy that uses their existing freedoms to destroy ours. I have a right to be protected from an internal enemy.

When Al Qeada sends uniformed soldiers to attack military targets within the United States I'll give them the respect I would a foreign enemy soldier. You can worry about terrorist rights if you like while crowing about having served as though that gives you more latitude in the conversation, but not with this LCpl.

How is it you do not know the American people have a right to not be unjustly killed or have their freedom curtailed or their property compromised.

Perhaps you could provide a link to the specific portion of the Constitution that extends the rights of US citizens to foreign terrorists.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:28 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
...God forbid, this country were attacked on a major scale,like on 9/11? Do you all think those that are rambling on & on against the president would actually HELP an enemy of the US, just to take out Obama?
This seems really "out there", but given the crap I read online , it really doesn't seem all that crazy anymore. I really wonder if the Anti- Obama people are that full of hate, that they might actually betray the US, or even try to instigate it on their own?
What think you?
Just as all those anti-war protests from the lefties bolstered the strength of our enemies and hurt the morale of our troops because these anti-war protesters hated Bush and all he stood for. It's sad and I pray that conservatives can take the higher ground and back our president.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm proud to be an American. I was just ashamed of what was being done to people on my behalf by a lawfully elected government.

However, thats the great thing about my country. If you don't like what people are doing, you can voice your opinion. Its not a matter of, "Well this guy is the President, and we should agree with everything he is doing."

My reason for pointing out that I served, is because I could begin to understand what it would feel like to be captured by an enemy, interrogated in a physically or psychological manner. My problem with many Americans who use the "They are terrorists, they want to kill us, I don't care what they are doing to them" or the "Well, they behead our soldiers, so what we are doing isn't that bad" crowd, is because they have no idea what its like to serve. Most of them don't know what its like to have your butt on the line. They are being arm chair quaterbacks.

Why do you think John McCain, Colin Powell, and countless other military men who served with honor stood up against the treatment of "enemy combatants".

Granted, you can't always win your fight, and they didn't right away. However, it says something about our country that we can stand up, and that their are reasonable men in this country, not just crazy hardcore political whack jobs.

I've only been on this planet for 30 years. I am not proud of Slavery in our history. I'm not proud of the Japanese internment during WWII, I'm not proud of the treatment of American Indians by my country.

However, those things happened long before I was born. I can honestly say, most everything America did abroad during my life, I can agree with. However, the Bush administrations handeling of world affairs, and torturing detainees, and the warrentless wire tapping, throwing out of habeas corpus, all to "protect" me, that I was ashamed of.

I know after 9/11 people were freaked out, with good reason. But thank God that cooler heads are prevailing now. Things are going in a better direction on our moral footing, however slow they are changing.

The Constitution provides for the suspension of Habeas Corpus during war. As for protecting you, not everything is about you. Lots of innocent civilians are the targets these people have selected. These Americans have rights as well. Are you able to understand that in this conflict something has to give in order for those American civilians to continue enjoying their Constitutionally guaranteed rights?

Old 10-04-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Mutually Assured Destruction
No, just terrorism on a grand scale.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Moral high ground? Are you aware the Obama administration uses rendition?

Jefferson also wrote...

"...that among these are life, liberty and the pusuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness."

My life, my liberty and my pursuit of happiness are being threatened and restricted by an internal enemy that uses their existing freedoms to destroy ours. I have a right to be protected from an internal enemy.

When Al Qeada sends uniformed soldiers to attack military targets within the United States I'll give them the respect I would a foreign enemy soldier. You can worry about terrorist rights if you like while crowing about having served as though that gives you more latitude in the conversation, but not with this LCpl.

How is it you do not know the American people have a right to not be unjustly killed or have their freedom curtailed or their property compromised.

Perhaps you could provide a link to the specific portion of the Constitution that extends the rights of US citizens to foreign terrorists.
Have you ever served?

Jefferson didn't promote torture. He promoted the peoples right to change or overthrow their government if it became tyranical and threatned their freedoms.

Part of living in a free society, is living with the fact that someone can harm you at any given time. However,

you can give me liberty, or give me death.

America is set on a higher pedestal than other countries. We were the light of the world becasue we were on the right side of wars. We only attacked, when we were provoked (outside of the Spanish-American war).

We can't tell them to not torture us, if we are torturing them.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:39 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
The people who can do real harm don't hang out online spewing...they are most likely planning, and DOING.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:55 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
We can't tell them to not torture us, if we are torturing them.
Do you honestly believe these people give two sh*ts if we torture or not? We could put up captured terror suspects at a 5 star resort and you would still see Mohammad chanting Allahu Akbar as he hacks another persons head off. These people are simply after the shock value and will take whatever means necessary to get their message out to the masses. The more disturbing, the further the message travels via the media.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Do you honestly believe these people give two sh*ts if we torture or not? We could put up captured terror suspects at a 5 star resort and you would still see Mohammad chanting Allahu Akbar as he hacks another persons head off. These people are simply after the shock value and will take whatever means necessary to get their message out to the masses. The more disturbing, the further the message travels via the media.
No, but it will to future combatants.

Its a matter of,

"If you could steal something and get away with it, do you steal it, or walk away"

Old 10-04-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
The Constitution provides for the suspension of Habeas Corpus during war. As for protecting you, not everything is about you. Lots of innocent civilians are the targets these people have selected. These Americans have rights as well. Are you able to understand that in this conflict something has to give in order for those American civilians to continue enjoying their Constitutionally guaranteed rights?
When Congress declares war. I don't remember that ever happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies