Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:48 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times

Advertisements

Well then I guess all the ads I see under the rental section saying "Non-Smoking", or the signs I see on the front doors of apartment buildings as I walk by that say "Non-Smoking" are either a figment of my imagination or the landlords are lying. That's very strange some of you have never heard of non-smoking apartment buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 03:49 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Who here lives in an apartment? I do. The smoke comes through the walls. Newer apartments tend to have back to back same rooms so, for example, on the other side of your bedroom is someone else's bedroom. I'm waiting to see if they legalize marijuana. I'll join in any lawsuit there. I'd rather have a neighbor sticking a needle in his arm.

You move into an apartment under a lease and have no control over when your neighbors move in and out. You could be perfectly happy with your neighbors and then 3 months later someone else moves in to ruin it and you're stuck with them for another 9 months. I have never heard of a smoke free apartment complex or smoke free apartment buildings and I've lived in apartment complexes in 3 different states.

If you live in an apartment and you have smoke or it's odor coming through your walls, then you best be at the complex office talking to someone, there is an issue. I would be very concerned. With firewalls, there is no way that can happen.

You may not have control over your neighbors but you do have control over you renew your lease if you are unhappy. And in this particular case, these people renewed. And yes, there are several places... SFH, apartments and condos that are non smoking.

If someone wants to smoke, that is their business as is what they do in their own home (as long as it is legal). How arrogant of someone to think that the smoker should stop smoking to appease another.

Last edited by sundrop; 10-05-2009 at 04:06 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 04:01 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Well then I guess all the ads I see under the rental section saying "Non-Smoking", or the signs I see on the front doors of apartment buildings as I walk by that say "Non-Smoking" are either a figment of my imagination or the landlords are lying. That's very strange some of you have never heard of non-smoking apartment buildings.
In the communist state of New Mexico, it shall be illegal to smoke within 25 feet of any entry-way of a public building.

New Mexico State Information -- American Lung Association SLATI (http://slati.lungusa.org/state-teml.asp?id=31#CIA - broken link)

Smoke Free New Mexico

New Mexico Smoking Ban.....

ABQJOURNAL: Governor Signs Statewide Smoking Ban

Waiting to see a law limiting bar patrons to three drinks.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:03 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Don't get me wrong - I hate smoke. I don't even want a smoker to sit on my furniture. However, when I see an ad that says "non-smoking" I always assume it's a private condo. Maybe not. I've honestly never seen a non-smoking sign you mentioned, except in a hotel. Actually, I think it's a great idea, although I frankly don't care what my neighbor does in her own place. Prohibiting smoking might also lower the cost of building insurance.

In my last post I was only saying that I find it hard to believe someone can actually smell cigarette smoke from the next apartment unless the tenants keep their doors open or sit out on the balcony to smoke. Then the smoke will travel to other areas of the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
In the communist state of New Mexico, it shall be illegal to smoke within 25 feet of any entry-way of a public building.
What's wrong with that? I wish most stores would follow this practice. It's not easy for a nonsmoker to walk through a cloud of smoke and it's not fair to expect someone to inhale another person's poison, is it?

Old 10-05-2009, 05:14 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Who here lives in an apartment? I do. The smoke comes through the walls. Newer apartments tend to have back to back same rooms so, for example, on the other side of your bedroom is someone else's bedroom .
As already mentioned there is firewall between the two dwellings, not sure how they do it in modern building techniques but double blocks are common in my area and they usually have 1 foot+ thick brick wall running up between them. The idea is if one side catches on fire the other doesn't sustain any major fire damage. She's suggesting this smoke is coming through a solid wall probably made of concrete blocks.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:52 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Don't get me wrong - I hate smoke. I don't even want a smoker to sit on my furniture. However, when I see an ad that says "non-smoking" I always assume it's a private condo. Maybe not. I've honestly never seen a non-smoking sign you mentioned, except in a hotel. Actually, I think it's a great idea, although I frankly don't care what my neighbor does in her own place. Prohibiting smoking might also lower the cost of building insurance.

In my last post I was only saying that I find it hard to believe someone can actually smell cigarette smoke from the next apartment unless the tenants keep their doors open or sit out on the balcony to smoke. Then the smoke will travel to other areas of the building.

What's wrong with that? I wish most stores would follow this practice. It's not easy for a nonsmoker to walk through a cloud of smoke and it's not fair to expect someone to inhale another person's poison, is it?
Did I say there was something wrong with that? NO. Which is why you missed the last sarcastic line in my post. Government will control all of us some day, we'll just be little drones, going about aimlessly, doing what we're told to do, and what not to do by big brother. Don't you think anti-smoking policies were already in effect in workplaces, retail establishments, and so forth? Eventually, people won't be smoking period.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:33 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Connie, you are exaggerating for sure. I live in Milwaukee, where smoking is still allowed & there are many MANY complexes that are non-smoking. You cannot even tell me that there are NO complexes where you live in California that is non-smoking. ESPECIALLY considering that state went smoke-free. Come on, whenever this subject comes up I'm beginning to think that you complain just to complain.
I have never seen any non-smoking apartment complexes advertised, at least in my area. When I moved in here, I did not think that this would be an issue as I've never experienced walls so paper thin where the smell of a neighbor's cigarette can actually enter someone else's unit. This is my very first apartment so I was very inexperienced when moving here. Hopefully there are some non-smoking units somewhere in So Cal. By the way, the state isn't smoke free as I'm constantly inhaling someone else's cigarette when I'm outside. It's only prohibited in public buildings and some colleges have outlawed smoking but California is far from being a smoke-free state.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Who here lives in an apartment? I do. The smoke comes through the walls. Newer apartments tend to have back to back same rooms so, for example, on the other side of your bedroom is someone else's bedroom. I'm waiting to see if they legalize marijuana. I'll join in any lawsuit there. I'd rather have a neighbor sticking a needle in his arm.

You move into an apartment under a lease and have no control over when your neighbors move in and out. You could be perfectly happy with your neighbors and then 3 months later someone else moves in to ruin it and you're stuck with them for another 9 months. I have never heard of a smoke free apartment complex or smoke free apartment buildings and I've lived in apartment complexes in 3 different states.
Same here Laura. I have gone through several neighbors and two of them (including my current neighbor) are heavy smokers. The smell is really bad in the bathroom which abuts his bathroom. I also can hear his music and water running in his tub (which isn't a big issue for me as I can just remove the hearing aids )

Old 10-05-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As already mentioned there is firewall between the two dwellings, not sure how they do it in modern building techniques but double blocks are common in my area and they usually have 1 foot+ thick brick wall running up between them. The idea is if one side catches on fire the other doesn't sustain any major fire damage. She's suggesting this smoke is coming through a solid wall probably made of concrete blocks.
California uses wood not concrete. I can see how the concrete walls in your area would prohibit cigarette smells from going into another unit but California doesn't use concrete due to earthquake building standards.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:50 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Did I say there was something wrong with that? NO. Which is why you missed the last sarcastic line in my post. Government will control all of us some day, we'll just be little drones, going about aimlessly, doing what we're told to do, and what not to do by big brother. Don't you think anti-smoking policies were already in effect in workplaces, retail establishments, and so forth? Eventually, people won't be smoking period.
Well, not to go back & forth on this, but I believe I did catch your sarcasm. I think you misunderstood me when I wrote "what's wrong with that?" I wasn't talking about people smoking in front of buildings, but imposing the 25 foot smoking ban. I don't think there's anything wrong with anti-smoking laws. Regarding the 3 drink maximum at bars, I wish everyone who drinks should turn in their car keys at the door.

As far as the "government" controlling us, I clearly remember going to the voting booth and casting my vote. Over 70% voted to ban smoking in restaurants. Florida is a very conservative state. IIRC Jeb Bush was Governor from 1999 to 2007 and Charlie Crist is now Governor. Republican Governor, Republican controlled Legislature. Still, a statewide ban was imposed about 5 years ago because 71% of the people voted for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies