Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 03:10 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Ahhhh...We did go to Afghanistan first. At least Bush took care of the job.
Hmmm, yet he didn't finish the job, now did he?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 03:21 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
I wouldn't blame this incident on Obama, but I do think he needs to make up his mind on the troops/strategy. He campaigned on the importance of winning in Afghanistan and talked about how crucial that fight is. Given that, it seems like he would be more engaged in it than he seems to be. The one thing that the general is making very clear is that the current situation is not good and time is important. Obama needs to make a decision to either send the troops or change strategy/leave. Leaving it as is does not help.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:26 PM

480 posts, read 877,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The fact that you NEVER give him an inch of breathing room and attack him for everything discredits your arguments when there are legitimate reasons to question his actions.
Exactly!

Obama celebrated his anniversary with his wife. He's a fascist!

Obama went to Denmark to try to land the Olympics. He should be impeached!

Obama called Kanye West a jackass. Anyone who voted for Obama is a communist!

Obama went on David Letterman and joked about being black. Letterman had affairs. Obama is a racist and a cheater!

I just have to keep reminding myself that these unreasonable, blindly partisan and quite unpatriotic Obama haters on C-D are not representative of most people in this country. They're just usually louder than everyone else.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:27 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
You've got to get your priorities straight. Trying to get the Olympics to Chicago to enrich friends and family is much more important than the lives of some soldier in Afghanistan.

Either give the troops what they need to get the job done, including a plan of action, or pull them out and tell the Afghani government "It's all you now". If they do the second of the two then it'll be a repeat of Saigon.
It's going to be a repeat of Saigon regardless, unless the embassy is not evacuated by helicopter flights landing on the roof.

Every dollar spent in Afghanistan, every soldier who loses their life, does so for a failed foreign policy that will yield nothing in return, except more debt and deaths

Old 10-05-2009, 03:42 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisake View Post
No, they actually liked that one because he called out another black person. If Obama had said that about a white person, regardless if that person engaged in the same actions as Kanye did, we all know what their reaction would've been, hey?

Old 10-05-2009, 04:33 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I wouldn't blame this incident on Obama, but I do think he needs to make up his mind on the troops/strategy. He campaigned on the importance of winning in Afghanistan and talked about how crucial that fight is. Given that, it seems like he would be more engaged in it than he seems to be. The one thing that the general is making very clear is that the current situation is not good and time is important. Obama needs to make a decision to either send the troops or change strategy/leave. Leaving it as is does not help.
Are you saying that the President is responsible for deploying troops and planning outposts. Makes you wonder why we would have more Generals now than we had at the height of World War II with 13 million men in the Army.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:09 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
So you are using the same old line for the other excuses, give him more time!!!

He needs more time.

No, he has had plenty of time and has his priorities wrong.

Remember what he said, on day one he would sit down and discuss with all these people a strategy to win the war in Afghanistan, that was 10 months ago.

No more excuses, either send the troops and do a Bush like surge or get the hell out of there.

Make no mistake about it, Obama clearly dropped the ball on this war and the enemy knows he is weak and cannot make a decision.

That is why they have ramped it up. All because Obama weakness.
Perhaps you have forgotten, but Obama authorized 17,000 more troops in in February. According to this Fox News article the Pentagon didn't mobilize all of them ( More Than 17,000 Troops Headed to Afghanistan - Political News - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/02/17/troops-headed-afganistan/ - broken link) ). "Although 17,000 troops have been authorized to go, the Pentagon identified and mobilized only about 12,000."

It also states that "A spokesman for Gen. David McKiernan told FOX News that they had already started to build camp barracks for the troops in anticipation of the announcement -- knowing how sensitive the timing is given the spring fighting season."

"It is generally takes about three months for an Army brigade to deploy to the combat zone."

I believethat the last of that authorization just finished being deployed in September. Any additional troops sent now will not immediately affect what is going on now, because they wouldn't be there for months.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:50 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
If using common sense and reason is the "same old line" then I'm on board.

As I stated earlier you people seem to want an "Gallipoli" on your hands.

The you all the answer is always "send more troops".
Don't know what region to send them, the dangers of a particular region, the environement, how to supply and support them, just "send in more troops!

Sorry I've lived through that, you go do it, then come back with the rah rah speech!

Let's bottom line it, Obamma can do nothing that you would not negatively criticise. Therefore it's a waste of time to present reason to you, you are simply going to dismiss it.

When the idiot does something right let me know and I will be the first one to give him a rep!!!

Until then, his lack of leadership and constant poor decisions will be the hot topic for a long time to come. Hoping maybe he will listen or get the hell out of the WH and let someone who can make a good decision in.

Let me know when he finally makes a good decision so I can give him credit.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:51 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisake View Post
Exactly!

Obama celebrated his anniversary with his wife. He's a fascist!

Obama went to Denmark to try to land the Olympics. He should be impeached!

Obama went on David Letterman and joked about being black. Letterman had affairs. Obama is a racist and a cheater!

I just have to keep reminding myself that these unreasonable, blindly partisan and quite unpatriotic Obama haters on C-D are not representative of most people in this country. They're just usually louder than everyone else.
And the left hated Bush and America for 8 long years we had to listen to the constant whining and no factual complaining didnt we.

Sound familiar?

Old 10-05-2009, 09:12 PM

946 posts, read 2,603,328 times
There's a lot of accusations along party lines and meanwhile another 10 Americans are dead over there. Just as in Vietnam, we are saddled with an unpopular, corrupt government put in place by the Americans, with an army that refuses to fight at best and betrays us at worst. Meanwhile, their countrymen, barely out of the stone age, continue to stymie the most technologically advanced military in history. Taliban numbers are difficult to estimate, do your own research, but they are a fraction of the tens of thousands of U.S. and Afghan national army soldiers. If more soldiers would win this war, we'd have already won. There is no right answer, but the definition of insanity is to do the same thing and expect different results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies