Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 12:56 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,794,118 times

Advertisements

In fort worth a mentally ill person was tasered to death. Fort Worth Police turned away paramedics as the person died in agony.

Texas man's Taser death ruled homicide | Bryan/College Station, Texas - The Eagle (http://www.theeagle.com/texas/Texas-man-s-Taser-death-ruled-homicide - broken link)

Last edited by artsyguy; 10-05-2009 at 01:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 01:17 AM

689 posts, read 739,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
In fort worth a mentally ill person was tasered to death. Police turned away paramedics as the person died in agony.

Texas man's Taser death ruled homicide | Bryan/College Station, Texas - The Eagle (http://www.theeagle.com/texas/Texas-man-s-Taser-death-ruled-homicide - broken link)
That would be real trick since a Taser won't cycle for 49 seconds (continually).

Old 10-05-2009, 01:19 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,794,118 times
It was ruled a homicide. Didn't you read the article? The man stopped breathing and the police turned away the paramedics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD2.0 View Post
That would be real trick since a Taser won't cycle for 49 seconds.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It was ruled a homicide. Didn't you read the article? The man stopped breathing and the police turned away the paramedics.
I'm not arguing what it was ruled. If a cop shoots someone, it's ruled a Homicide (whether justifiable or not is the question) too. No need to me. Something is F-ed up. A law enforcement taser will only cycle for 5 seconds max. It can be stopped earlier (1-4 seconds), but it can only go 5 seconds per cycle. You can't keep tapping the trigger before the cycle runs out and have it "continue". It will show as another application. At 54 seconds (total...per the article), the least number of applications possible is 11 (not 2). Look it up yourself.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:33 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD2.0 View Post
I'm not arguing what it was ruled. If a cop shoots someone, it's ruled a Homicide (whether justifiable or not is the question) too. No need to me. Something is F-ed up. A law enforcement taser will only cycle for 5 seconds max. It can be stopped earlier (1-4 seconds), but it can only go 5 seconds per cycle. You can't keep tapping the trigger before the cycle runs out and have it "continue". It will show as another application. At 54 seconds (total...per the article), the least number of applications possible is 11 (not 2).
A five second jolt to a person with a pre-existing cardiac arrhythmic condition can disrupt the heart's already abnormal heart pattern. Of course if you believe that the electrical pulse to the heart is greater than that produced by a taser...

Old 10-05-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
A five second jolt to a person with a pre-existing cardiac arrhythmic condition can disrupt the heart's already abnormal heart pattern. Of course if you believe that the electrical pulse to the heart is greater than that produced by a taser...
It can? The Taser affects the heart?

Old 10-05-2009, 01:40 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,289,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

A 165 grain hollow point slug can disrupt a person's cardiac condition in 1/5000th of a second.

I don't know what the answer is. On one hand we all want cities to crack down on crime. We don't want the police to kill innocent people either. Guns are not always the answer, and neither are Taser's.

I think that in fairness, 99% of those Tasered suffer no long-term effects, while 90% of those shot by the police die. It is a tough call to make, but I think the Taser is still the more humane option for the safety of the officers and bystanders.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
A 165 grain hollow point slug can disrupt a person's cardiac condition in 1/5000th of a second.

I don't know what the answer is. On one hand we all want cities to crack down on crime. We don't want the police to kill innocent people either. Guns are not always the answer, and neither are Taser's.

I think that in fairness, 99% of those Tasered suffer no long-term effects, while 90% of those shot by the police die. It is a tough call to make, but I think the Taser is still the more humane option for the safety of the officers and bystanders.
The answer is it doesn't affect the heart (or heartbeat). It won't even affect a pacemaker. People assume this just like they assume a defibrillator "jump starts" the heart.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:56 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,719,393 times
Although it is not a direct jolt to the heart (as in the case of defibrillator), anything that causes a "shock" to the central nervous system can affect the heart - changes in respiration, pulse, blood pressure, biochemical changes, ...

Old 10-05-2009, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Although it is not a direct jolt to the heart (as in the case of defibrillator), anything that causes a "shock" to the central nervous system can affect the heart - changes in respiration, pulse, blood pressure, biochemical changes, ...
It affects the sensory and motor functions of the nervous system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies