Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 09:30 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Who the president is will make the shallow minded in other countries like, or not like us, and this is supposed to matter to me?
It's all about You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 09:36 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Well, the thing is that Europe is comprised of individual nations. We are a singular nation. The OP is referring to national policy. Thus, generalization is more apt in this case.
With individual states, same difference. And he's in asia, somewhere, not europe.

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Tell that to the greedy liberal administrators at our colleges.

Simplistic, sophomoric reply....

Ever hear of Medicaid or SCHIP?
Ever tried to qualify for Medicaid?

Ever tried to get a Medicaid rep to answer the phone??

Ever tried to get services once qualified???

2,735 posts, read 2,463,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm not singling you out personally, but you're one of several posts that purports to know many people who "take pills on a regular basis." I have lived in the USA for my entire life and have traveled abroad many times, and I have yet to be able to distinguish a population of people that appears to be over-medicated more than another. Are you folks snooping in peoples' medicine cabinets or something? Taking any medication at all is rightfully a personal thing, thus i'm not sure how you, or anyone else, can purport to know so many people that are popping pills like candy.

I'm not buying into this perception because I don't believe this purely anecdotal proof is worthy of consideration.
I base my assumption on german sources, but here is one in english
http://www.ahrp.org/risks/usSSRIuse0604.pdf

Old 10-06-2009, 09:37 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Lets see....my wife's former employers were both on mood altering drugs,I have had co-workers who were on the same.I know quite a few people who 'self medicated'

To think that people here aren't on something either means you don't know many people or they don't tell you.

It seems a lot of people like to tell you what drugs they are on...
Probably true all over the world, what you don't know...and all that.

Some people talk about moving out of the USA to another country as if the other country is some kind of paradise on earth. You see the same thing with people moving from one state to another. Every real and imagined fault of the left behind state is highlighted, while the worst we hear about the new one is "oh sure, it's not perfect but...", followed by a laundry list of everything they think is going to be just great. Including that the local population are just the nicest, friendliest, non substance abusing, hard working, moral people ever, EVER! It's usually that way because they are still in their fantasy state of mind but reality rarely measures up. That's whey people are leaving their "almost perfect" state to move to another. Just like people move to the USA from all over the world.

You know how when you meet a new person and start to hang out with them constantly and think they are the best person ever, EVER, and then you start seeing faults and flaws and having fights? It's kind of like that but on a bigger scale.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Who the president is will make the shallow minded in other countries like, or not like us, and this is supposed to matter to me?
Excuse me Wapasha, but that is exactly what I wrote:

Though it shouldn't really matter to you because you have other issues that need to be taken care of.

So no, it shouldn't matter to you, thats what I wrote and thats why I don't understand your comment, though I am not surprised.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I wonder how many user names the guy has.
Only one, Pamky, and I am a female.
Look here, thats is one source I used to make my assumption.

Though it shouldn't really matter to you because you have other issues that need to be taken care of.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:43 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I recently read a post that America was no longer number one. As a matter of fact, the US is now outranked by 37 countries including some third world countries in healthcare. After a little research I found the that America does rank number one in selected areas. The US is number one in murders with firearms, rapes, auto thefts, and the US beats the entire world by miles with the usage of cocaine, heroin, and marijuana. I almost forget, the US has the most prisons and prison inmates in the world.
Per capita or total? Of comparably-sized countries or all countries? These tiny details matter.

Not to mention, we are a nation of laws. If you break those laws, you go to prison. It's pretty simple really. So instead of railing against your country, why don't you hit the streets and talk some sense into those thugsters and make your community a better place? See, its not that easy is it?

America is still the land of the free and the land of opportunity. Call out all the bad things if that makes you happy, but if you're not doing anything to make it better, then you're part of the problem.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:45 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
The worth of a country morally politically economically is determined by how many people are trying to get in it compared to how many people are trying to get out.
I think you will find the USA as the number one country people try to get into and very few who try to flee it .
tha said I am please you are happy in an Asian country away from a country you think is awful
If the US had worked out a different deal with Mexico, one that benefited Americans in the US better than Mexicans in the US, not so many people would be trying to get into the US. If US educated ALL of its children better there'd be no need for the H-1B visas.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:46 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
This country is going to crap. I'm going to flee overseas and rant about it on the internet. YOU all need to fix it and then maybe I'll come back.

Heaven forbid your house catches on fire with your family in it, Bear.
Have a great trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies