Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:09 PM

70 posts, read 136,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The United States government is not constitutionally able to dictate what a private company can or cannot pay their employees.

And, if the owners decide to compensate their CEO 10's of millions of Dollars, that is find. That is not "greed".

Frankly, you sound envious. You sound like you only wish YOU could make that much.
I disagree. Corporations were once accountable to the communities or states in which they were located. These days, and at an ever increasing rate, they are only concerned about THE BOTTOM LINE, which is LINING the pockets of their executives.

Even capitalism can be taken to the extreme Greatday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 08:14 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,634,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
American CEOs should get as much money as they can get their hands on. That's the American way. Don't tamper with it. Plus, a large segment of Americans are rooting for the CEOs!
Yes who cares if they are sucking 40% of the economy into their greedy hands, we'll just work longer hours for less money. That's the SLAVEMART way.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:17 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,785,444 times
I would say that I am okay with pay restrictions for PUBLIC companies as well as companies who do business with the government (contracted work)... and I would extend it to the government officials as well as those who receive direct government funding...

Old 10-07-2009, 08:20 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,799,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossimer View Post
Couldn't agree with you more. The statement after the OP's really ticked me off, and this is from a conservative. Capitalism taken to extremes is just sick.
I don't think that capitalism equates necessarily to greedy contempt for anyone except yourself. When I see in America, mental patients being dumped onto street corners alongside hospital patients who can't afford treatment - I thnk why can't the richest country in the world take care of the health of it's citizens as well as England, France, Canada, or even Cuba? The answer is greed. When ask why companies go bankrupt and displace thousands of hard-working workers, then review where the profits were drained off, and see that CEO pay was responsible for the demise, the answer is greed.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:32 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,605,266 times
No it shouldn't spread although everyone with a brain knows that the goal of the liberals when they started overseeing pay for bailed out companies was simply to set up a blueprint and work on expanding that power. They are power drunk. Liberals are amazing the way they rail against big business constantly and demand that government grow to take control, while ironically the government is the biggest business in the nation and is LOADED with corruption, as much or more than any private sector business.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,178,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossimer View Post
I disagree. Corporations were once accountable to the communities or states in which they were located. .
Corporations, large or small, are accountable to only ONE group: The owners of that corporation - the stockholders.

Period.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:21 PM

4,892 posts, read 3,340,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
The main justification for the exhorbitant pay that American CEOs receive is that they made the company do well. What about the rest of the employees in the company? Don't THEY deserve some credit? Why aren't all employees in a corporation rewarded if it does well. There should be a set limit, like the CEO should not receive more than 50 times the average worker's pay. Some of them now get 400 - 500 times the average worker's pay! No wonder other countries shake their heads in disbelief. The head of the biggest bank in the world is Chinese and he makes less than $300k a year!

'You wouldn't know it by his pay stubs, but Jiang Jianqing heads the world's largest bank.

Jiang, chairman of Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, made just $234,700 in 2008. That's less than 2 percent of the $19.6 million awarded to Jamie Dimon, chief executive of the world's fourth-largest bank, JPMorgan Chase & Co.'

"The U.S. executive pay levels have always dwarfed pay for companies elsewhere in the world," said Sarah Anderson, a fellow with the Institute for Policy Studies, which is critical of Wall Street, and co-author of the recent study "America's Bailout Barons'

Study shows U.S. bank CEO pay dwarfs rest of world | Reuters

'To "rob" banks, as Friedrichs regards the CEO pay process, executives walk into a corporate boardroom and secure from the board's compensation committee unjustified compensation packages of millions, tens of millions, and sometimes hundreds of millions of dollars.

This process, says Friedrichs, "pays much better" for CEOs than robbery does for the crook with a gun.

These compensation committees, appointed by the CEOs, are composed of cronies, paid consultants, and even relatives, says the criminologist.

By law, some corporate directors must be "independent."'

Should CEO pay restrictions spread to all corporations? | csmonitor.com
Yeah, I think so.

In alot of cases, the CEO still makes out like a bandit even if the company is doing worse or almost completely fails (Cisco, Countrywide, etc.)

We're becoming more and more like Latin American every day it seems...

Old 10-07-2009, 09:26 PM

4,892 posts, read 3,340,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Actors and athletes too!
Even in other countries, the monetary compensation to these folks isn't as severe as it is in the United States.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:30 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,298,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
'Don't tamper with it'? Even if ridiculously high American CEO wages drag down the company, putting it out of business? Then I suppose the 'American way' is being revealed now - namely in vast numbers of Americans unemployed, and a few rich American dogs with fat Swiss bank accounts.

Board of Directors.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:33 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,799,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Board of Directors.
Friends and cronies of the CEO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies