Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 01:25 PM

247 posts, read 379,976 times

Advertisements

@Bluefly, @mohawkx, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 01:26 PM

68 posts, read 88,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Ho View Post
Firstly, I'm not some micronation crazy. I merely wished someone well that's attempting to think outside the box.

There are problems in every country. I'm a loyal American and a Marine. I would never leave this country for love nor money. I've spent my entire adult life in Military service. I did 2 back-to-back tours in Iraq. Just shortly before my scheduled retirement (while still in Iraq) the jeep I was in hit a land mine. I lost both legs just slightly above the knees.

Yesterday, my prosthetic legs arrived and for the first time in over a year, I am able to walk again.

So don't lecture me mister.
Thank you for your service, and your well wishes by the way.... it is deeply appreciated by me and others I am sure.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:26 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I'd like to say that wine does not make you gassy. Carry on.
for an S M R T liberal you sure missed the joke.....

France:
Stinky Cheese = Brie

Gassy Wine = champaign

geez

Old 10-07-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Im sorry Eddie. I wasnt directing the comments at you.... I was just making a funny. and Congrats on the Leg! That is awesome!

I served in Desert Storm, however I didnt lose any body parts.... a bit of my mind... but who didnt eh?
Thanks. No harm done.

After seeing the things I have, it makes you really begin to hate war and everything it stands for. There just simply has to be a better way. There just has to be.

I'm 100% supportive of any person or group, that has enough perseverance to at least try to make a difference. If no one tried anymore, we as a nation, as a world, as a people -- would fail.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to make life better for others. There's nothing wrong with wanting to feed the hungry, heal the sick, care for the dying, provide shelter for the homeless, stop the abuses, put an end to crime.

It's almost like the whole world has lost sight of the most important goal there ever was -- peace.

@Lady Morgandy, thanks.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:34 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
I would like to put forward Floyd County, Georgia, as a possible site. Multiple waterways provide transport and potable water. Infrastructure is in place to support 100k citizens. Mountain foothills offer multiple hiking/mountain biking opportunities, 4 colleges, 3 major hospitals, historic downtown, and good arts community. Of course, Rome would be the capitol city.

About Floyd County (http://www.floydcountyga.org/About_Floyd.htm - broken link)

Old 10-07-2009, 01:39 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
which is why I am for utopias! LOL!

by the way, the utopian ideal has been tried many many times. Its utter failure has been documented repeatedly for more than a hundred years in the United States.

It has been said that these are "smart people" I dont think I disagree.

Nor do I disagree with the following:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

...im just sayin....

Old 10-07-2009, 01:52 PM

480 posts, read 878,281 times
This has been one of the most interesting and enlightening threads I've ever read on C-D. It's also been mostly civil, and when it wasn't entirely civil, at least it was funny.

A micronation or communal is certainly not for me, but I wish you well. I just don't believe micronations belong inside the borders of the United States.

I have an aunt who moved to The Farm in Summertown for the birth of her child. She enjoyed the experience but had no desire to live there later. I know The Farm has gone through a lot of changes over the year, and there aren't nearly as many people living there as in its heyday. I know people who've loved visiting there for permaculture or other eco-courses, but none of them wanted to stay.

Saw this account of life at The Farm that I found interesting: Communal Living

Old 10-07-2009, 01:54 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
There are simply far to many hurdles to overcome to ever make this a reality. An attempt to do so would have you in violation of so many federal laws it would make your head spin.

How do you intend to enforce your right to your "sovereign" territory within the USA? How do your "citizens" intend to enforce their right to voluntarily not pay taxes(to the USA)? They have social security numbers, that makes them "citizens" of the USA, renounce that and set up your own country?, Can you say "treason"?

Even a private island is a part and parcel of some country's administrative jurisdiction, and is taxed as such. Same for a "ghost town", all of which exist upon someone else's land that they are paying taxes on, or on land owned by the US government(see BLM land, and/or national parks).

Yes, you can buy some land somewhere, and build your "commune" but it will always be under the jurisdiction, and ultimate control of whatever federal system it resides in. No getting around it. Your "freedom" will be as imaginary as it is now. If you got something they want bad enough, there's that little thing called "eminent domain"...they'll just come and take it.

While true "freedom" is a nice thought, it's just a pipe dream, and all the laws that say it is, are already in place.........Dream on.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
How do you intend to enforce your right to your "sovereign" territory within the USA?
Indian Nations (Reservations), are sovereign territories. They do not pay taxes to the US and are not subject to our national laws. Also, from what I understand, Amish communities have a somewhat limited version of a sovereign nation.

That's not to say that a micronation stands a snowball's chance in hell of getting sovereign status, though. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on the snowball making it through hell.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:05 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Morgandy View Post
Well said, and thank you kindly. It is so hard for people to dream of something new...even if that is a dream of peace and community, people would rather tear down than build up, sadly.

We need more people with your sentiment
You are quite welcome. If you have never read "The Celestine Prophecy" you would probably enjoy it. The last chapter deals with ideas and information as currency as opposed to what is so accessible now to the sticky fingers of the thieveing, corrupt and greedy as undeserving as they might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies