Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 05:37 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
One issue that your seem to not even consider is that many of times, these ethnically segregated areas are in place not because the people that live there want it that way, rather because people don't want to move there out of fear.

Take for example, the town I grew up in was a small farm town in central Illinois. It was predominantly white. When I would say something to black people about checking it out as a town to move to, many would say NO, due to the fact they believed that it had to be a racist town. Now I live in a black neighborhood on the southside of Chicago, and many non-black people say they don't want to move here because they fear that it won't be safe or people will not accept them because they are of a different ethnic background. While in neither of these situations was the fear correct in it's belief it was the fear that kept the segregation alive, not the want for segregation.

BTW alot of the "Black Communities" are that way not because that was the intention of the black residents, but rather because of something that is commonly known as "white flight"
I know many black people who moved to white communities out of fear of their own communities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 06:28 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
I know many black people who moved to white communities out of fear of their own communities
No disagreement there. My point of course was that not always is seggregated communities that way because of the choice of its inhabitants.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:39 AM

841 posts, read 2,260,812 times
Social Conservatism

Old 10-28-2009, 11:51 AM

437 posts, read 929,779 times
uh excuse me? the Jim crow laws?? the old south didn't have black slave owners...unless you can get a link from CNN or ABC news... most people didn't own slaves but the ones that did were pretty much in control...sorta like a oligarchy

Old 10-28-2009, 03:32 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times
The OP's questions are totally reasonable given the way the Civil War is often taught and how little time is spent on the Civil Rights Movement. PBS has a great website which expands on their documentary *The Rise and Fall of Jim Crow.* iColt1, you can find it here:

The History of Jim Crow

There are all kinds of links to explore. An even better documentary is the series *The Eyes on the Prize.* Your school library might have it, and your public library should. It's a 14 hour documentary (split up into several parts) that pretty thoroughly covers the civil rights movement. It has recently been released in a CD version, making it more convenient to watch than the old VHS version. Anyway, good luck in getting your questions answered, and keep asking them.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:44 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Unfortunately, I'd say your neighborhood is more the exception than the norm. Even in schools, neighborhoods where you see lots of different races, integration is often "surface level" at best...
we see what we choose to see...

Old 10-30-2009, 12:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
well if the declaration covers this and so does the emancipation...we just should never have had this happen...i ask a simple q and you people act like "my generation" is dumb and supposedly needs a better education...well "your generation" thinks they know it all but yet they have caused this planet much destruction...so if you were smart and take my advice...which i doubt you will; you will probably complain or give an excuse...START RECYCLING AND SAVE PLANET EARTH! so what is your argument???
Sometimes I have to wonder how many hours a day you are in school because you come on these boards with questions no one can answer at all times of the day. The last time you were in class did you ask your history or civics teacher this question? I happen to think some young people are very bright..I said "some".

Nita

Old 10-30-2009, 01:09 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,652,853 times
We still segregate people only it is now called Affirmative Action or diversity.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
The OP's questions are totally reasonable given the way the Civil War is often taught and how little time is spent on the Civil Rights Movement. PBS has a great website which expands on their documentary *The Rise and Fall of Jim Crow.* iColt1, you can find it here:

The History of Jim Crow

There are all kinds of links to explore. An even better documentary is the series *The Eyes on the Prize.* Your school library might have it, and your public library should. It's a 14 hour documentary (split up into several parts) that pretty thoroughly covers the civil rights movement. It has recently been released in a CD version, making it more convenient to watch than the old VHS version. Anyway, good luck in getting your questions answered, and keep asking them.
Our Mountain Home has a small library but we did a vote so we are getting a huge library right across from our University! it is HUGE! thank you for the link...

Old 11-04-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Sometimes I have to wonder how many hours a day you are in school because you come on these boards with questions no one can answer at all times of the day. The last time you were in class did you ask your history or civics teacher this question? I happen to think some young people are very bright..I said "some".

Nita
Yes and i happen to speak before i think...still trying to hold my tongue...i asked my church to recycle and reuse they replied "it's to hard." God did not say it's to hard to answer prayers or make the universe; he made this planet. So in all respect; we should respect our creator. In class i heard students say "i belive in Evolution" i said "i don't belive in it." you know what their response was? "your stupid" it should be "no your stupid to think that science made the universe and we came from a green glob of goo. if evolution WAS correct, Niagra falls would not exist, if we came from monkeys why are monkeys here then? if Evolution was indeed correct, the Grand Canyon would never have existed in our time." knd of silly to believe in nonsense. God made the universe. That WAS the Big Bang Theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies