Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:53 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
Our Mountain Home has a small library but we did a vote so we are getting a huge library right across from our University! it is HUGE! thank you for the link...
A good library is crucial, so I'm happy for you and your classmates. Don't stop asking questions even if some people are grumpy. I love to see young people on these boards trying to figure things out--it means you are thinking and questioning what you've been told. We've left you with a messy world to inherit--no wonder you have questions! Please keep asking them, and PM me if you want any further reading or viewing suggestions about these topics. When I was 18, I felt much the same way. Happy belated 18th, by the way, I hope you had fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 08:00 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
Yes and i happen to speak before i think...still trying to hold my tongue...i asked my church to recycle and reuse they replied "it's to hard." God did not say it's to hard to answer prayers or make the universe; he made this planet. So in all respect; we should respect our creator. In class i heard students say "i belive in Evolution" i said "i don't belive in it." you know what their response was? "your stupid" it should be "no your stupid to think that science made the universe and we came from a green glob of goo. if evolution WAS correct, Niagra falls would not exist, if we came from monkeys why are monkeys here then? if Evolution was indeed correct, the Grand Canyon would never have existed in our time." knd of silly to believe in nonsense. God made the universe. That WAS the Big Bang Theory.
I don't totally agree with you on this one, but I do agree that it's not a good tactic to call people names. Nothing is really accomplished by doing that. I hope you can find good models of people making arguments. It is possible for people to do that without insulting each other. Maybe it would be helpful to think about how you felt when your classmates called you names. Instead of calling them names back, think about how you could present your views in a way they might understand. I know that is hard--I've been on this planet for about twice as long as you, and it is still hard for me. I just really believe that presenting evidence that goes beyond our personal beliefs and remaining calm even when other people get upset are good things to learn to do. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies