Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 09:42 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;..."

Seems like that is "prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

It appears religion is protected.
You got that right!!

And it's not as if in the recent past 50 years Christmas became some HUGE deal, either. We just now have an abundance of vocal athiests coming out of the closet and getting their panties twisted in a knot over only anything Christian.

I have a good friend who was raised Jewish...she's now an athiest. She's OK with her choice. She doesn't get so violently upset or offended when she sees decades old traditions, in this country that she chooses to live in, of decorations thrown up on light posts in town or on the lawn of the white house once a year.

Apparently prayer makes some athiests "physically sick". So there is now a lawsuit to remove any "prayer" from any future presidential inauguration.

To any self respecting athiest, any words in the form of a prayer should be nothing other than words. Getting all upset over a prayer or even decorations revolving around a Christian holiday is being a flat out Christian hater. Making excuses as to where decorations can/should/can't/should not be is just that...another excuse to hate/be a bigot against a certain religion and long term, county-wide tradition.

Funny how athiests (and the like) SCREAM about religion being pushed on them yet they don't realize that their qualified lack of any religion also puts them into a group that wants what they DON'T believe in to be pushed on others (and to change the history of nothing more than tradition).

Can't have it both ways.

The whole point behind "congress shall make no law..." was because of and due to the simple little fact (and largely overlooked FACT) that the forefathers left a country where you had to be of a certain sect of Christianity to even be eligible to run for a political office.

Stop trying to interpret the FACTS.

That plain and that simple.

Last edited by Informed Info; 10-11-2009 at 09:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Keep in mind that everyone's dollars -- even those of folks who do not pay taxes -- contan the reminder that In God We Trust.
Keep in mind that what you said has nothing to do with my point. At all.

Not to mention if you don't pay taxes you should keep your mouth glued shut.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:07 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Keep in mind that everyone's dollars -- even those of folks who do not pay taxes -- contan the reminder that In God We Trust.
It used to say, "Mind your business"--a much better catchphrase for people to take to heart.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:14 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Pagans are always getting the short end of the stick. Fear the day the Pagans stand up and proclaim that they are mad as he!! and aren't going to take it anymore...
I always think that.

I wonder if it will ever happen.

It is quite sad as Paganism is a beautiful religion with (in my opinion) amazing beliefs.

Last edited by Theliberalvoice; 10-11-2009 at 11:07 PM..

Old 10-11-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Keep in mind that what you said has nothing to do with my point. At all.

Not to mention if you don't pay taxes you should keep your mouth glued shut.

Who cares if one pays taxes or not? Most of us who work for a living have no choice, but most people on Social Security do not pay any. Either way, people have a voice and a right to use it.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:08 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I always think that.

I wonder if it will ever happen.

It is quite sad as Paganism is a beautiful religion with (in my opinion) amazing beliefs.
LOL

Someone left me a rep saying "No it is not". He meant that Paganism is not a beautiful religion and has amazing beliefs.

Whoever left me this comment, thanks for the laugh.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Who cares if one pays taxes or not? Most of us who work for a living have no choice, but most people on Social Security do not pay any. Either way, people have a voice and a right to use it.

What? Seriously, WHAT?

Quote:
Most of us who work for a living have no choice...
Have no choice in what? (that has anything to do with my post/point?)

Quote:
Either way, people have a voice and a right to use it.
You can flap your gums all day long. If you don't pay taxes you have no right to dictate where tax monies should be spent. Just like if you don't vote, you have no right to complain about the person elected at any level.

Kind of an easy and elementary concept to grasp.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:34 AM

If you don't vote, it's because none of the candidates were worthy of the position.

Most of us who work for a living are forced to pay taxes--they take it out of the check before we even see it. Just to respond to your post above.

What I wanted to say further, is that Christmas didn't become a "big deal" in America until the mid-19th century--when stores figured out that they could sell more goods to the public if they tied sales to the holiday. And so, rampant overcommercialization of the hoiday was born, increasing its popularity dramatically.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:35 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I and my retired friends pay plenty in taxes - all of them, including income tax.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:02 AM

I did say most. This is after several years of filing taxes professionally. Most seniors do not have the income sufficient to be required to file. A few years back, the ONLY reason they filed was for the economic stimulus payment.

And they weren't getting refunds, since no taxes were deducted from their Social Security checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies