Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 03:53 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I see...

So you hate christmas, too.
Not really. It just bothers me when certain religious people say that I'm 'stealing' Christmas from them when they technically didn't have it to begin with.

I don't really care if people celebrate Christmas. It does get a little irritating when they take my families traditions and claim them as their own, though...

Keep it on your private property and you won't hear a peep from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 03:54 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I lost the tradition of a Christmas tree being called a Christmas tree and now having it referred to as "holiday Tree." I lost the tradition of Christmas lights being called a Christmas lights and now having it referred to as "holiday lights." I lost the tradition of a Christmas present being called a Christmas present and now having it referred to as "holiday present."

All of this is because of secular fundamentalist neo liberals who assume offense and are tolerant of anything as long as they endorse it. I've been talking, you just don't wanna hear what I have to say. When you tolerate everything, you stand for nothing. PC is destroying this country.
I have NEVER heard anyone call a Christmas tree a "holiday" tree

EVER!.....and if YOU have, NO ONE forced you to use that terminology...NO ONE , you made that up!

AND if it was a BIG HUGE DISASTROUS MIND BOGGLING CALAMITY for you if someone said it within your hearing...you need a hobby....

I have often said "I hate Christmas trees, parties, gifts, decorations and all that other Christmas crap" and NO ONE has ever said, "No, you hate "holiday" trees, parties, decorations and all that other "holiday" crap."

Old 11-04-2009, 03:58 PM

And as far as "Christmas" terminology goes...the important things about "Christmas" are still called Football, Booze, Domestic Assault, Greed, Over-spending, Stress and "Thank GAWD that's Over!"

Old 11-04-2009, 04:00 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I see...

So you hate christmas, too.
I see...

So you hate Yuletide, too.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:07 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Why, Mr. Jockey, you should already know it's very much the "Do as I say, not as I do" mentality with some people.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
""Antlered Chamataka"" (???)

Is that PC for Santa's CHRISTMAS Reindeer ???

Old 11-04-2009, 04:32 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
I oppose Christmas on theological grounds. I was raised in the Church of Christ the very conservative wing and we do not celebrate holidays and do not believe in musical instruments either. We believe Sunday Ressurection Day is the only ordained Holiday and that is weekly. Other than that no religious holidays.

Christmas is a pagan holiday. As I pointed out before The Christmas Tree was known about in the time of Jeremiah the prophet which is about 600 BC and he described it very clearly as an Idol. The Church of Christ for the first 300 years from it's founding in about 33 AD on the Jewish feast of Pentecost until the Council of Nicea in 325 did NOT celebrate in any way any birthday of Jesus Christ ever.

It was the Church of Christ at Rome that started these pagan holidays dressed up as Christian and Alexandria and Costantinople followed their lead. Eventually the Church in Rome started to gain more and more power until by the 600s they were a government unto themselves and almost all of Western Europe paid them tax. That was the beginning of the Roman Catholic Church.

If anyone wants to read a good book that details this read Gibbons The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Shows how this metamorphosis in the Church took place.
This is a little off topic, but I'm curious as to why you don't 'believe' in musical instruments? I have a degree in music, so it's near and dear to my heart, so I'm just curious

Old 11-04-2009, 04:47 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I'm not offended by that at all, never said I was. What is offensive is the hijacking of traditional terms such as Christmas Tree and turning it into "Holiday tree", when Christmas is the only holiday associated with a tree and decorations and gifts beneath it. No one sings "Oh Hannukkah Tree, or Oh St. Patricks day tree." Christmas Lights are now called "holiday lights" despite no one ever adorning their home with 4th of July lights or labor day lights. Christmas decorations are now called "holiday decorations" despite the fact that ornaments, stockings, wreaths, etc. have always been synonymous with Christmas. No one has ever put up an Arbor Day stocking by the chimney with care.

Well then, here's what you need to do. Go through all the Sunday ads and scour internet sites and any store or business that advertises "holiday" anything - DON'T BUY FROM THEM!!! Let them know your stance and spend your money elsewhere. Vote with your dollar. And in the meantime, have a good time shopping at stores that only cater to one holiday, Christmas, from October through December. Because Christmas, these days, is all about $$$$$.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:48 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
And as far as "Christmas" terminology goes...the important things about "Christmas" are still called Football, Booze, Domestic Assault, Greed, Over-spending, Stress and "Thank GAWD that's Over!"
"Black Friday" Nice association to have with what some think of as a festive holiday. It's all about the shopping. After Christmas day, you don't hear anything more about the eleven days left of what I thought was the Twelve days of X-mas. Yes, all about the shopping. I wonder if Jesus was in credit card debt.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:49 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
""Antlered Chamataka"" (???)

Is that PC for Santa's CHRISTMAS Reindeer ???
Incidental, never thought of reindeer and antlers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies