Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 08:16 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually, it is religion / religious not necessarily Christian at issue here.

IMO, those of any relgious faith should have the right to display religious scenes appropriate to their beliefs for their holidays - anywhere they wish to.

If the non religious don't like it - tough.
Well I have a religion where all women should walk around topless. I'm going right now to set up a conference on the lawn of your local elementary school. Thanks! You just made my job easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 09:21 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
then you should also be saying the same thing to enviromentalists as well, as these days anything about the enviroment is also considered sacroscent and religious as well.

in other words, keep issues concerning the enviroment out of the goverment and its business.
Ignoring the often used, and rather juvanile, argument fallacy of equating everything under the sun to religion in a rather lame attempt to justify the latter...

Corperations rely on their inherent greed to stay viable and productive. Corperate Greed isn't a bad thing, mind you, it's what biult this Nation and made her strong. But it leads to certian problems.

One such problem, for example, has led to the formation of OSHA.

Other concerns require that the g'ment step in to protect the environment, to keep companies from pumping toxins into the air, ground, and water whcih negatively effects everyone. Love canal is a perfect example of why environmental protection laws are crucial.

This very quality of g'ment, however, requires that such personal decisions as religion MUST be kept in the private sector, otherwise religion WILL use g'ment to further their theopolitical power and attempt to force and/or coerce the populace to become members of that religion.

Religious Greed is NOT a good thing.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:23 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually, it is religion / religious not necessarily Christian at issue here.

IMO, those of any relgious faith should have the right to display religious scenes appropriate to their beliefs for their holidays - anywhere they wish to.

If the non religious don't like it - tough.
Many of the Elder Religions have fertility based religious observances.

So you would be OK with a huge phallus on your City Hall steps?

Old 11-09-2009, 12:59 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
I would imagine you have a linked source to someone complaining of a nativity scene on private property, and sueing to have it removed?

Considering that the whole question is religious symbology on public (g'ment) property, one should establish a foundation for one's argument, after all.

BTW, this isn't about being "offended", as in your "baby Jesus in a court house" example. It's about upholding simple Constitutional Law. There is no rationality possible to support OUR g'ment supporting and endorsing YOUR religion, especially when it is expressly forbidden in our Founding Document.

Not sure where in the Constitution it mentions about not allowing a baby Jesus, or religious symbol on government grounds or public property.

Religious symbols on public property during the holidays was quite frequent up until the past decade or so. Why was it fine back then and not now is the question. People break laws near you every day (just look at people speeding, running red lights). Why don't you protest that instead of some symbol on a government property that you don't see every day anyway. It's not "promoting" a religion at all.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:09 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And in that same thread, the non-religious should be able to go about their day without constantly seeing religious decorations..there are plenty of decorations that can be used that aren't religious in nature.

If the religious don't like it - tough.
Actually, you really don't have the right to stop others just because you don't want to see it. You are free, I guess, to close your eyes though. Just be careful while driving.

Those decorations that aren't religious that you speak about have nothing to do with the real meaning of Christmas. People like you can't decide what is allowed or not allowed. This country isn't ruled by Nazi's (yet). Although, I would love it if people got rid of those stupid inflatable decorations. But, to each their own.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:17 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Actually, you really don't have the right to stop others just because you don't want to see it. You are free, I guess, to close your eyes though. Just be careful while driving.

Those decorations that aren't religious that you speak about have nothing to do with the real meaning of Christmas. People like you can't decide what is allowed or not allowed. This country isn't ruled by Nazi's (yet). Although, I would love it if people got rid of those stupid inflatable decorations. But, to each their own.
Actually... yes, we can. It's not supposed to be on public land. Period. You guys have private churches, private schools, private universities etc etc and that isn't enough??

And what would the 'real' meaning of your christmas be? The celebration of forcing pagans to partake in your religion? Maybe you still think it's the celebration of your 'lord and savior', who was very unlikely to have been born in December. All those 'christian' symbols? Christmas tree? Pagan. Yule log? Pagan. Gift exchange? Pagan.

And please, don't invoke Godwin's Law... the minute you mention Nazi's or Hitler (especially to this woman, who was born and raised in Germany) your arguments lose meaning.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:20 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
You know I was shopping this weekend and I saw several stores advertising "Christmas" and not the "holidays"...thought about this thread

Old 11-09-2009, 01:21 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
You know I was shopping this weekend and I saw several stores advertising "Christmas" and not the "holidays"...thought about this thread
Wal Marts advertisements all say Christmas. They're just trying to make money, and most religious people are easily swayed and they know this. Pretty smart, if you ask me.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:29 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Wal Marts advertisements all say Christmas. They're just trying to make money, and most religious people are easily swayed and they know this. Pretty smart, if you ask me.
If you say so..most people I know are swayed by saving and discounts.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:35 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
Lol, the "war" on Christmas.

They had better tell me MERRY CHRISTMAS on my way out of the store with my buggy full of cheap plastic baby Jesus manger scenes made in China or I am going to go ballistic on them for not understanding the meaning of Christmas....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies