Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2009, 12:23 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I've always held that the WOC is a bogus issue primarily used as a fear-based fund raising effort, and publicity stunt, by charlatans like James Dobson, Pat Robertson, et al. Every year, a lot of people are taken in by the nonsensical rhetoric from the far right.

CNN has a very good article today on this phony baloney "war on christmas" that seems to make the paper's each year. This year, some GOP loon from, you guessed it, SC, tried to put a resolution in the House of Reps to express support for the use of Christmas symbols and to frown on efforts to ban references to the holiday. What? Is he crazy? We've seen nothing but Christmas symbols everywhere since just after Halloween. Who is it that's trying to ban "references" to the holiday. Is he hallucinating? Good grief.

Here are excerpts from the CNN page, spoken by an ordained minister:

- Barry Lynn, an ordained minister and executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, isn't keen on the prospect of congressional action. "Resolutions like this come up because there is this bizarre view by some members of Congress that there is a war on Christmas and that they have to be the generals in some responding army," he said. "My advice to the lawmakers would be promote any religion you have through your private acts, and don't try to 'help' the baby Jesus by passing a resolution on his behalf. It is arrogant and ridiculous at the same time," Lynn said.

Well said, and that's an ordained minister speaking. The rest of the article is quite well done, worth reading, especially by anyone who might be worried that there might be a WOC, which I can assure you there is no such thing.
The article also contained a link to a Time Magazine article and the best line in that article was this:
Quote:
The last to wage war on Christmas were probably the Puritans, who in the 17th century banned Yuletide festivities on the grounds that they didn't square with Scripture. For a godless conspiracy, those are some pious roots.

Last edited by MsMcQ LV; 12-18-2009 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: fixed the link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 01:08 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
I would like to wish our Christian friends a Merry F-----g Christmas and the to the rest of you all Season's Grumblings!

Is everyone happy now?

Old 12-18-2009, 02:53 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Well it does get confusing. The Puritans and lots of ministers today are saying Christmas has become way too commercialized and they would like to see it go back to being more about giving and not getting with all the ads in papers and stores pushing us to spend our money. I think we would all agree that is a good idea to promote. It is directed mostly towards Christians.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:57 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well it does get confusing. The Puritans and lots of ministers today are saying Christmas has become way too commercialized and they would like to see it go back to being more about giving and not getting with all the ads in papers and stores pushing us to spend our money. I think we would all agree that is a good idea to promote. It is directed mostly towards Christians.
I've felt for decades that Xmas is way too commercial. In fact, that point was the intent behind Charles Schulz's TV cartoon "Merry Christmas Charley Brown" back in 1964, as he felt that way 45 years ago. I participate less every year in the orgy of spending.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I've felt for decades that Xmas is way too commercial. In fact, that point was the intent behind Charles Schulz's TV cartoon "Merry Christmas Charley Brown" back in 1964, as he felt that way 45 years ago. I participate less every year in the orgy of spending.
Thanks, it would be great to spend less time in the stores and more time in the churches.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:32 AM

12 posts, read 8,036 times
Default Christmas is a Pagan Holiday. Real Christians do not worship Mithras or Tammuz in the guise of Christ.

Quote:
Janelle

No true Puritan would even celebrate Christmas. The Puritans rightly believed that Christ never instituted any holiday. He instituted that the worship day would be SUNDAY. I can prove this from Scripture and hundreds of different writers of the first and second Century AD. When Paul spoke in Colossians 2:16 about letting no man judge you in manner of eating or drinking or with regards to a religious festival or to a Sabbath day Paul was referring to the fact that Jewish Christians who worshipped BOTH on Saturday and Sunday and kept Jewish dietary and holy day regulations were trying to force Gentiles to do the same saying that it was mandatory.

Paul was simply telling Gentiles that the Jews had no business telling them to obey Jewish laws as they were non binding in the Christian dispensation. The Gentiles were not supposed to keep Gentile Holy Days as all of them were Pagan so for a Gentile Christian the only holy day would be Sunday.

When the Church was trying to convert the Pagans the Church Christianized Pagan days and thus Christmas was born. The Bible gave no authority for this and thus the Church was out of line. To put Christ in Christmas is illegitmate unapproved worship and is thus evil to God.

Today we have secular Holidays. The term Holiday or Holy Day in the USA does not have the meaning it did in the Old World IE Europe. I am all for celebrating Christmas just as a Secular Holiday with meaningless silly decorations to make the children happy. That is all it should be. A meaningless play time for kids and a family gathering. DEFINATELY NOT AN ACTIVITY OF WORSHIP.

I am a New Testement Christian and I reject the Vicar of Rome's laws and the idiotic rules of Protestant Churches. The Bible is Gods bylaws and rules. No more no less. Man has no authority to change anything.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:58 AM

LOL, well I am certain the gentile/pagan converts were very glad the church changed the practice of circumcision to be a Christian and got away from the Jewish tradition on that issue. One can be very Orthodox in their beliefs or they can change things as long as the true meaning is kept.

Catholics keep Christmas very holy by going to church and worshiping the reason for the season---Jesus. Who cares if it is not on the exact day of His birth---presidents day is not on the exact day of their births either. No one gets bent out of shape over that.

You can keep Christmas as a play day or you can use the opportunity to worship the Lord or you can still do as the Pagans did and dance around a fire worshipping the sun.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:06 PM

12 posts, read 8,036 times
Quote:
LOL, well I am certain the gentile/pagan converts were very glad the church changed the practice of circumcision to be a Christian and got away from the Jewish tradition on that issue. One can be very Orthodox in their beliefs or they can change things as long as the true meaning is kept.

Catholics keep Christmas very holy by going to church and worshiping the reason for the season---Jesus. Who cares if it is not on the exact day of His birth---presidents day is not on the exact day of their births either. No one gets bent out of shape over that.

You can keep Christmas as a play day or you can use the opportunity to worship the Lord or you can still do as the Pagans did and dance around a fire worshipping the sun.
I say this. Meaning doesn't matter the letter of the law does. If a "Christian" is keeping Christmas as a day of worship they are in violation of the law.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamWallace1305 View Post
I say this. Meaning doesn't matter the letter of the law does. If a "Christian" is keeping Christmas as a day of worship they are in violation of the law.
Link. What law says we can we not worship the Lord? Can't I worship Him everyday at all times?

Old 12-19-2009, 12:34 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Thanks, it would be great to spend less time in the stores and more time in the churches.
Or anywhere else.
Not everyone is xian.
Quote:

Why single out catholics? They're just another xian cult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies