Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 11:39 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,145,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The best question regarding this whole incident is this: looking out over the ocean of faces and seeing only African-Americans, where were the whites? There are poor whites in Detroit too. Where were they?
1. were they scared off by thoughts of a race riot erupting and the ensuing violence if they showed up?
2. are they just a little higher on the socio-economic ladder and therefore not in as bad a need of the hand-out as are the African-Americans?
3. were they too prejudiced to mingle with their fellow, albeit black, America citizens?
4. are African-Americans just more aggressive and the whites more passive when it comes to being packed in a small hall like sardines in a tin to get an application for something free?
5. were the whites more cognizant of the fact that there is no free lunch and this was a big fat waste of their time? (not that they have anything better to do with it)
6. are there just plain 1000 times the number of African-Americans in extreme poverty as whites?

There are serious issues to be addressed here, not only of why the hand-out was so horribly handled, but why the poor whites appear to have shown absolutely no interest in coming down to the office to get an application for badly-needed aid.
Those questions are...amazing....
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So you're basically saying that there are no whites in Detroit to speak of--that it is 98% or so black and therefore no appreciable numbers of whites within reasonable distance to come and apply. I'm not disputing you, I'm just trying to understand the situation. That's a valid point and if that is the case I retract the "nonsense" I posted earlier.
You could look up demographic information yourself, you know

This whole thing made news at all because of a rumor that began and spread in the black community. So more black people went out than white people that morning. Also Cabo Center surely wasnt the only distribution point for these applications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 11:54 AM

88,979 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Obviously money isnt the way to do it.
Someone needs to tell Obama that...

Obama: "I think that whether you are a white executive living out in the suburbs, who doesn’t want to pay taxes to inner-city children for them to go to school, or you’re an inner-city child who doesn’t want to take responsibility for keeping your street safe and clean, both of those groups have to take some responsibility if we’re going to get beyond the kinds of divisions that we face right now."
http://www.eyeonbooks.com/obama_transcript.pdf (page 5)

Not only is the bolded part of Obama's statement racist, it's incorrect. Detroit's public schools receive enough tax revenue to spend ~$13,000 per student per year. I'm going to guess the tax revenue didn't all come from the people in line in the video.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:03 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,196,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Someone needs to tell Obama that...

Obama: "I think that whether you are a white executive living out in the suburbs, who doesn’t want to pay taxes to inner-city children for them to go to school, or you’re an inner-city child who doesn’t want to take responsibility for keeping your street safe and clean, both of those groups have to take some responsibility if we’re going to get beyond the kinds of divisions that we face right now."
http://www.eyeonbooks.com/obama_transcript.pdf (page 5)

Not only is the bolded part of Obama's statement racist, it's incorrect. Detroit's public schools receive enough tax revenue to spend ~$13,000 per student per year. I'm going to guess the tax revenue didn't all come from the people in line in the video.

Ok, first thing, you have misread Obamas quote. He is saying that "white executive in the suburbs" doesnt want to pay for inner city schools, not that he isnt forcibly paying for it currently.

If you gave a large number of people in this country their way, they wouldnt pay for anything they didnt use, which would leave the disadvantaged with no infrastructure at all.

However, I do agree the statement is a little stereotypical and inclusive. Many of those suburban "whites" actually fight very long and hard for things such as inner city public school funding. It was very unneccessary to add "white" to that statement.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:04 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:
Those questions are...amazing....
You mean bigoted. I suppose they could be construed that way but, not knowing the situation, demographics, etc in Detroit...

Quote:
You could look up demographic information yourself, you know
(and not willing to waste three hours on Goggle to educate myself on the issue before coming here---let's get real) I thought they were legitimate questions at the time I posted them.

Quote:
This whole thing made news at all because of a rumor that began and spread in the black community. So more black people went out than white people that morning. Also Cabo Center surely wasnt the only distribution point for these applications.
Oddly enough, it was mowhawkx who first raised the issue of absence of whites

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Good God! I know I'm gonna get slammed for saying this but I gotta do it.

Was there a separate line for white people that they didn't show?
a remark which i thought to be racially insensitive but one which you found to be strangely devoid of any insensitivity:

Quote:
Why would you get slammed for such a... sentiment, here? Im sure you'll get lots of reps.

Unless you were being cynical.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 10-09-2009 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: afterthought

Old 10-09-2009, 12:13 PM

88,979 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Ok, first thing, you have misread Obamas quote. He is saying that "white executive in the suburbs" doesnt want to pay for inner city schools, not that he isnt forcibly paying for it currently.

If you gave a large number of people in this country their way, they wouldnt pay for anything they didnt use, which would leave the disadvantaged with no infrastructure at all.
Exactly the point... A LARGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE, not just white people.

Quote:
However, I do agree the statement is a little stereotypical and inclusive.
No - Obama's statement is no less than racist.

Quote:
Many of those suburban "whites" actually fight very long and hard for things such as inner city public school funding. It was very unneccessary to add "white" to that statement.
Yes, it was unnecessary, not to mention very ill-informed. Obama has never retracted that statement.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:23 PM
ncc

95 posts, read 304,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
"Demand" for "free" things for some will always exceed the "supply" of the things "earned" by others. This is the very complex type of economics and human nature that "intellectual" collectivists continually fail to realize.
These things aren't free and never will be!!

BTW. Is your location a secret underground bunker?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:53 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,145 times
Default Got Logic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
We have tried to deal with these issues

-great society programs
-medicade
-affirmative action
-food stamps
-public housing

Just like anyplace else in America, those who CHOOSE to work hard can get out and better themselves

My friend Reggie who graduated from Texas A&M with me 4 yrs ago was raised by a crackhead for a mother and a gang member for a father in the 5th ward of Houston. No excuses, no blame he shunned the gangs and drugs, did well in School and got a well deserved scholarship to T A&M.

He is tired of hearing the blame game. It is nothing more than a poor excuse for laziness
I really get a kick out of those with right leaning views suddenly forget the concept with regards to the law of averages.

Try this thing called reality sometime, it may be a bit of a shock for you.....

Old 10-10-2009, 04:56 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,858,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
Word got out that Obama is handing out free money, party time!

LiveLeak.com - Welfare Stampede in Detroit

How long can this system sustain itself?
How come one of the women needing assistance in video had an expensive Louis Vuitton handbag????? Talk about taking responsibilty.....maybe she needs to look in the mirror.

This is the same 3rd world type crowd that would have shown up even if unemployment was only 1 percent.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:07 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
How come one of the women needing assistance in video had an expensive Louis Vuitton handbag????? Talk about taking responsibilty.....maybe she needs to look in the mirror.

This is the same 3rd world type crowd that would have shown up even if unemployment was only 1 percent.
I didn't feel like watching the video again to see which lady you were talking about but I've been to Detroit before; if you know the right people you can get a Vouis Luitton bag for $30

Old 10-11-2009, 09:18 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I didn't feel like watching the video again to see which lady you were talking about but I've been to Detroit before; if you know the right people you can get a Vouis Luitton bag for $30
You can also pick up a nice solid gold Bolex for 20.00 or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies