Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:17 AM

14,295 posts, read 9,628,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Your post is a perfect example of the mass hysteria tossed around about catching a wiff of a cigarette. I don't smoke, never have, nasty habit but tossing around nonsense like comparing it raping someone is beyond ridiculous.
Little tyrants, is what they are, and they'd love to empower a tyrannical government where everyone comes up with their laws to criminalize any lifestyle choices they dislike.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:18 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,844,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I feel sorry for you Kentuckydad. As you can see, people seem to have this bizarre self-entitlement complex when it comes to smoking and they are going to (and have) attack you for an idea that would make perfect sense under any other circumstances. But the question shouldn't be "where shouldn't people be allowed to smoke" it should be "where should they be allowed to smoke." People should only be allowed to smoke under the following circumstances:

1. They can smoke in their car as long as they have all of the windows rolled up and there is no one under the age of 21 in the car.

2. They can smoke in their house as long as it's a single-family with property around it, and as long as there is no one under the age of 21 in the house.

3. They can smoke in any enclosed area with a closed-circuit ventilation system, provided that there is no one under the age of 21 in the area.

I think those are fair terms for smokers. It's interesting that so many people think they have a "right" to smoke around other people and if other people don't like it they can just leave. As if people would let me carry around radioactive waste in public if I felt like it and if they didn't like being around it then they can just leave. Under what other circumstances would we allow people to do things in public that injuries everyone around the because they feel like it? Do we support a rapists right to rape? If the victim is in public is she fair game? This nonsense with the smokers privileges has got to stop. I have nothing against tobacco companies or people who smoke. If you want to smoke that's cool; just do it in your own house or car, and away from small children.

And yes, smoking around children should be considered child abuse.
Wow...........................comparing smoking to rape, unfortunately I have now seen it all

Old 05-04-2012, 09:20 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,844,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Your post is a perfect example of the mass hysteria tossed around about catching a wiff of a cigarette. I don't smoke, never have, nasty habit but tossing around nonsense like comparing it raping someone is beyond ridiculous.
We agree on very little but on this I agree 100%

Old 05-04-2012, 09:38 AM

14,295 posts, read 9,628,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Wow...........................comparing smoking to rape, unfortunately I have now seen it all
It's how these liberals maintain their imaginary state of superiority. They rationalize their positions on the issues by creating the most absurd and ludicrous straw man arguments.

If you can convince yourself that smoking is equivalent to rape, then you can criminalize it like rape.

If you can convince yourself that Republicans are for killing minorities, and being so heartless and evil, so as to let women die of breast cancer and force autistic children, and the elderly with Alzheimer's to fend for themselves, then you can justify voting for democrats.

See? Easy, peasy.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,589,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
It's how these liberals maintain their imaginary state of superiority.

...then you can justify voting for democrats.

See? Easy, peasy.
Well, the joke's on you...there are liberals posting here who don't agree with the premise that smoking around children should be a criminal offense.

I'm just one of them...actually (after wading through with his/her rhetoric)SityData's post reflects my own family scenario.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:41 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,286,936 times
Default Should parents smoking near children be arrested for child abuse?

It's a matter of common sense, everyone who smokes should understand it isn't good for children to be breathing in smoke and with that I think it should be illegal to smoke in closed quarters with children present like a car because people seem to have lost any sense at all.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:44 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,907,774 times
Quote:
Simple answer: NO.
We have enough laws and there has to be a point where the government needs to stay out of people’s lives. If you disagree let me ask you, is there anything in your life where the government could step in for "your own good" especially if there are no limits? Do you drink, do you eat fatty foods, are you overweight, do you exercise regularly, do you use a barbeque grill .........? Think about it folks, be careful wha you wish for, you just might get it.
Question: Are there any proven records of any child getting cancer from the secondhand smoking of their parent or are people overreacting based on fear? Anyone have any verifiable data?
I'm sure they can get the EPA to make up some data if the need to. This boat has sailed though pretty much as the cig companies have been sucked as dry as possible. I'm actually surprised they haven't gone after the alcohol or meat industry yet. I guess they are still spending the tobacco money?

Old 05-04-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
We agree on very little but on this I agree 100%
Well there is some hope for the country left!!

Old 05-04-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Little tyrants, is what they are, and they'd love to empower a tyrannical government where everyone comes up with their laws to criminalize any lifestyle choices they dislike.

It is quite disturbing the attitude many have. I guess they will think twice when the government mandates something they don't agree with, well if that day ever comes. lol

Old 12-22-2012, 03:08 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,710,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I wonder if you would have a problem with a parent smoking dope around their kid. I know many on the left would have no problem with that at all. They are all against smoking unless it is dope, then they are demanding it is legalized. Rather twisted thinking.

By dope, you mean cannabis? That's the proper Latin/medical name. Out of the more than 1 billion people who've used it since our earliest recorded history, there are no known fatalities as a result. You don't have to take my word for it, even though I've read at least several thousand pages about it. Just go to Wikipedia & type in marijuana deaths. It will say, the page you requested, marijuana deaths, does not exist. But they do have a few lifetimes worth of reading on cannabis, on Wikipedia & links from there. Wikipedia requires that sources be cited or are subject to removal. Wikipedia isn't left or right, just facts.

Also, cannabis can often help 120+ medical conditions, often more effectively, with less side effects, than pills that kill about 125,000 Americans a year. You can read the patients' letters on rxmarijuana dot com/ Site is hosted by Dr. Lester Grinspoon (MD retired from Harvard Med. Sch.). He used to be very against MJ until his then 10 year old son, Danny, was diagnosed with cancer. Someone suggested his boy try it, to counteract the nausea from the chemo pills, so he could eat. It worked! He requested food & was able to live another year and a half.

Granny Storm Crow's list (2009) can be found on most "pothead" sites. You'll probably see things on these sites that offend you, but Granny Storm Crow's list is mostly medical studies, plus verifiable anecdotes, about the safety & many uses for cannabis, arranged alphabetically by conditions helped. It has 57 studies showing it fights cancer & multiple studies on dozens of other conditions helped. Most of the studies are by top researchers (usually doctors) at well-known universities around the world.

Differences between tobacco & cannabis: tobacco kills 400,000 Americans a year. Cannabis is 0 deaths as a direct result. Tobacco narrows the arteries, cannabis widens them. Tobacco contains the poison nicotine, which paralyzes the cilia, the muscles that clean the lungs. This is why tobacco smokers don't usually cough while smoking, but do when the lung cleaners are back to work.

Cannabis is an expectorant, so coughing & clearing the lungs while smoking can happen. Cannabis does not contain nicotine, but it does contain at least 5 cannabinoids that fight cancer. This is why the tar does not kill or cause any real health problems.

The claim that cannabis can cause brain damage was from an experiment by Dr. Gabriel Nahaus, funded by taxpayers. He put a face mask on a monkey & forced it to inhale all the smoke from 63 joints in 5 minutes. Brain damage occurred by lack of oxygen. A study using people found that cannabis can add on to the brain structure.

Cannabis oil was in pharmacies until 1937, when cancer was rare. Now we have a cancer epidemic, which may be caused by the roughly 85,000 toxins approved & now in our air, soil, food & water. 60% of Americans are getting cancer, & half of those, 30% of all Americans, die from cancer.

Recently there have been anecdotes about cannabis oil curing cancer & other often fatal illnesses. Rick Simpson was a Canadian man who spent his entire life savings of $1.3 million dollars giving these treatments for free. One man was an 62 y/o with stage IV ling cancer. His lungs were filling up with fluid. He was given cannabis oil and 3 months later was cancer-free! Rick Simpson was going to be arrested, so he fled, but he has a 58 minute video, Run From The Cure.

25% of Americans say they are in chronic pain (Time poll), so Docs & Big Pharma can't help all. And 30% of Americans dying of cancer, an epidemic that could be treated with cannabis oil, if only it was legal.

Sorry I rambled so long but this is something important for less pain & better quality of life & in many cases, longer lives as well. Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies